Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo booth?

jalleva
41 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2012 16:59 |  #1

I am considering buying a "real" photo booth for weddings and events. We've setup the backdrops and strobes and done the mobile studio photobooth I read about here often, but now I'm looking for the little machines people sit in and it prints out the little strip.

Can anyone recommend a brand or vendor?

I've been checking out openairphotobooth.com and that looks like a decent setup, and extremely easy to move by myself. Has anyone tried that one?

sponsored links
siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2012 15:57 |  #2

Whats making you switch over to a photobooth machine? If you dont mind me asking?

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

jalleva
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 23, 2012 17:31 |  #3

Multiple reasons:

1. Instant gratification for users. They get the photostrip right there and we can make a custom layout for each event/wedding.

2. It won't pull either photographer away from the B/G, who are really our focus.

3. Less retouching work.

4. The photobooth can be rented to other photogs, event planners, bars, etc. and will be another small income stream.

5. A photobooth is a "cooler" option than some dude with a portable studio. People feel less inhibited in the little photobooth box.

There are some other reasons as well, but the benefits outweigh the cost to me.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 24, 2012 00:37 |  #4

I know this is not what you are asking, but I like the portable studio option much more. I just did one last weekend and got the entire bridal party plus some in the photo - I think there were 17 people there? Cant get that with a booth.

Just my opinion.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 27, 2012 20:44 |  #5

jalleva wrote in post #15400962 (external link)
Multiple reasons:
2. It won't pull either photographer away from the B/G, who are really our focus.

The last time I saw a photo booth at a wedding I shot (a real photo booth, like you're talking about), it kept the bride, groom and most of the wedding party and immediate family busy for about 2 hours. I literally had nothing to shoot; there are only so many photos one can take of the cake, decorations, etc.

I guess if you owned such a photo booth, this wouldn't be a problem.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2012 06:35 |  #6

I guess both have their pros and cons. For me I like the studio styled photobooth.

The clients love that I can fit more people into the shots. Plus they get to bring their own props which they get so excited about!!!

But goodluck and hope you do find something. Im sure there are plenty out there. Let us know what you end up purchasing.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

xburrows
71 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 28, 2012 11:37 as a reply to  @ siddr20's post |  #7

I recommend you check out PhotoBoothTalk (external link). One caveat : You must be approved by the moderators before you can post or even view many of the forums. I've put in two requests over the last month with no responses.

Good luck!

edit : I made another inquiry today and was approved in a few minutes. See you there!

jalleva
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 19:42 |  #8

How big of backdrop are you guys bringing? I have a 9ft roll and generally only get 5-6 people spread across it.

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2012 19:48 |  #9

Make one your self... I have a convertible booth that I can make open air or can cover with curtains... works great!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

jalleva
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2012 00:59 |  #10

What did you use for the case? And did you follow some guide?

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 29, 2012 10:02 |  #11

Had a guy weld it for me from steel tubes... that one was heavy. Now I'm reworking it and making it from aluminum, light and easy to move. Plastic side panels... Laptop, touchscreen and 40d inside with Sony UPDR200.

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 29, 2012 23:43 |  #12

17 people in front of my 9 foot roll of white seamless.

IMAGE: http://redtiephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v82/p1336106660-4.jpg

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

nguyencs
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 30, 2012 09:53 |  #13

I really love the look of Vanity Photo Booth. But their booths cost $10k. Plus you got to buy the photo paper through them and license the software which comes out to about $700. I believe you pay that everytime you need a new supply of photo paper.

Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 30, 2012 10:13 |  #14

YOu can rent out the photo booth for my kids 6th birthday party and place it next to the inflatable moon walk

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 30, 2012 16:25 |  #15

I have a big white (and black) backdrop, but I was thinking if there was a nice wall at the reception venue maybe that'd be easier/better.

Yuriyo - I saw your post with the wooden wall background and liked it.

I've just run into issues already of running out of space for my setup, and not having a backdrop on two stands would save some space. Any thoughts?

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

sponsored links

5,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo booth?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.