Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens adapter to give full frame perspective on crop sensor cameras?

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 29, 2011 15:37 |  #16

I think you're asking what videographers have been doing for years. They call it a 35mm DOF adapter. Google it.

It basically allows videographers to use 35mm SLR lenses on their video cameras (which have really small sensors).

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Depth-of-field_adapter (external link)

It's ironic; videographers using photo cameras to make movies and photographers using videography tricks to take pictures! : )

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 29, 2011 15:38 |  #17

What you are asking for is a telecompressor or wide converter. It does what you are asking and does shorten the focal length and reduce the f number. These are available for telescopes but not for dSLRs. The problem with a telecompressor is the reduction in back focal distance which is fine for telescopes where there is lots of distance but there isn't room in an SLR for this. As mentioned above, a relay would be needed which is going to make this big, heavy, expensive, and not very good. It works out better to just buy a shorter focal length lens.
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Telecompressor (external link)
Here are some for sale:
http://www.optecinc.co​m …talog/nextgen/n​extgen.htm (external link)

Photo Gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 29, 2011 15:43 |  #18

It is apparent that Image Circle Size is being confused with frame filling of different format sizes with identical content, judging by a number of the responses.

• If I use a 100mm lens on APS-C camera, an object which is 1.1m away and which is 150mm tall will be 15mm on the sensor and fill the 15mm frame height of the APS-C camera while the Image Circle might be only 32
  • mm in diameter.
  • If I use a 100mm lens on FF camera, an object which is 1.1m away and which is 150mm tall will be 15mm on the sensor and mostly fill the 24mm frame height of the FF camera while the Image Circle might be 50mm in diameter.
  • If I use a 100mm lens on 4x5" sheet film camera, an object which is 1.1m away and which is 150mm tall will scarcely fill the 90mm frame height of the 4x5 camera while the Image Circle might be 180mm in diameter.

The Image Circle defines the maximum frame size which can be filled by a lens, but the frame size of the format determines the amount which is captured, not the lens.
The FL of lens determines the size that an object is reproduced at the film plane, but when the FL is fixed, the subject size at the film plane is fixed, too!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2011 06:21 |  #19

I've seen this question before and I believe that what the OP suggests should be possible using something like a TC. But, instead of expanding the image circle (which is what a TC does) it shrinks the image circle -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/TCs.jpg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 30, 2011 12:04 |  #20

hollis_f wrote in post #13327620 (external link)
I've seen this question before and I believe that what the OP suggests should be possible using something like a TC. But, instead of expanding the image circle (which is what a TC does) it shrinks the image circle -

Yes, what I stated in Post 10. But it does not simply change the Image Circle, it changes the Focal Length, which is what really alters what fits within the frame.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2011 13:01 |  #21

You might find this interesting:
http://www.mir.com.my …gitalSLRs/E2E2s​/index.htm (external link)

The Nikon/Fuji E2 and E2s digital SLRs had reduction optics behind the mirror and had the sensor plane set much further back. They actually scrunched the 35mm image circle down to the 2/3" ccd format.

Photo Gear

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2011 14:14 |  #22

macroimage wrote in post #13328763 (external link)
You might find this interesting:
http://www.mir.com.my …gitalSLRs/E2E2s​/index.htm (external link)...

Seems much like the relay lens system - like in those DOF adapters. They use a screen for the inter image, Nikon seems to use a field lens.
No commercial version available, and with DIY a bit hard to realize with good image quality.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 30, 2011 14:49 |  #23

You can always screw some more lenses in front of your lens to make it wider or narrower.

Randomly picked product:

http://www.ebay.com …2eb8ac164f#ht_4​187wt_1196 (external link)

I used some of this stuff on my 28-135 and the results are not horrible. They aren't good enough to replace an actually wider lens but they will take the frame you want in a quality that is kinda sharpish in the center and can have varying quality off-center, but will generally be suitable for web-size images with some PP.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2011 15:03 |  #24

The ad is kind of funny. They advertise it as a 0.43x lens but in their example picture, it is only slightly wider with the converter.

This guy is trying to make a telecompressor. It appears that he is going to have parts machined to hold the lens elements. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
http://184.168.85.126 …compressor-discussion/50/ (external link)

Photo Gear

obkcaptain
159 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 24, 2012 03:11 |  #25

Have you forgot the mirror?
As far as I know, the mirror's size on a FF is bigger than the mirror of an APS-C cameras. If you try to put an APS-C lens into a FF camera, the mirror will hit the back of the lens...
Probably you could work allways in "live View" and attach the lens AFTER the mirror is up.

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

EnsitMike
303 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 24, 2012 03:18 |  #26

Wilt wrote in post #13328581 (external link)
Yes, what I stated in Post 10. But it does not simply change the Image Circle, it changes the Focal Length, which is what really alters what fits within the frame.

Exactly! I think the OP whats to change the focal length by 1.6% effectively creating a 35mm equivalent on a crop sensor.

<[EOS-M][5D MKII][1D MKII][Elan7][700][Hass​elblad 500]>
22/2 EFM | 35L/1.4 | 40/2.8 Pancake | 50/1.8 | 50L/1.2 | 85LII/1.2 | 24-70L/2.8 | 70-200L/4.0

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 24, 2012 06:46 |  #27

obkcaptain wrote in post #15402253 (external link)
Have you forgot the mirror?
As far as I know, the mirror's size on a FF is bigger than the mirror of an APS-C cameras. If you try to put an APS-C lens into a FF camera, the mirror will hit the back of the lens...
Probably you could work allways in "live View" and attach the lens AFTER the mirror is up.

The OP does not want to use a FF camera. I believe he wants to use a crop lens and keep the lens's view acting as its stated FL (a 18mm acting as an 18mm) with no apparent change in FL (no need to put in the "crop" factor).

I believe you are thinking about what I put in this thread. Also (at least for Canon cameras) only Canon has EF-S lenses with the extension on the rear of the lens. All off brand lenses (even if designed for a crop camera's sensor) are EF mount, so there is no worry about the mirror hitting the back of the lens. The only worry is severe vignetting. The question in this thread is not the same.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2012 10:35 |  #28

jhamer wrote in post #13324785 (external link)
I have no idea if one exists or what it would be called, but is there an adapter that you can use to decrease image circle size when you use an ef lens on a ef-s body?

If this exists wouldn't it give the perspective of a full frame camera? Would it also increase shutter speed because the light is more focused?

Thanks!

Yes, it's called a wide-angle lens. Take the FL you're using now, divide it by 1.6, put that FL on your crop body, and move closer to get the same framing, and that's what you'd see on a FF.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 24, 2012 10:56 |  #29

Folks, this thread started and stopped over a year ago.... ;)

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 24, 2012 11:09 |  #30

SkipD wrote in post #15403081 (external link)
Folks, this thread started and stopped over a year ago.... ;)

And I usually notice that! :oops:

At least my response was to poster from today and was relevant to his comment. :)

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

sponsored links

21,672 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens adapter to give full frame perspective on crop sensor cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.