Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF Mount lifespan

StayLucky
719 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2012 23:45 |  #1

I recently started shooting with a couple of old Canon 35mm SLR's (TLb and an AE-1 Program) and purchased a couple of lenses for them. This prompted some research about the different lens mounts and how they work (FD compared to EF) and it made me wonder, would Canon ever kill off the EF lens mount like they did the FD mount? What could supersede what they've created and sold millions of?

Canon just surpassed 90 million lenses sold/manufactured, IIRC. It seems like there is so much of their revenue from their camera department in the glass itself.

Of course, pros and hobbyists in the 80s had to cope with this notion themselves, but I'm curious what the collective opinion here is.

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2012 23:51 |  #2

For cryin' out loud...PLEASE for the love of all that is holy, SEARCH!!!!

We've had this silly speculative thread come up within the last week...and tons of times before that.

EDIT: Here's the link (Merry Christmas)...knock yourself out and learn to use search:

https://photography-on-the.net …256261&highligh​t=lifespan

:D

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

StayLucky
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2012 00:16 |  #3

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15402004 (external link)
For cryin' out loud...PLEASE for the love of all that is holy, SEARCH!!!!

We've had this silly speculative thread come up within the last week...and tons of times before that.

EDIT: Here's the link (Merry Christmas)...knock yourself out and learn to use search:

https://photography-on-the.net …256261&highligh​t=lifespan

:D

Duly noted.

Thanks.

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 24, 2012 05:46 |  #4

General consensus is yes it will eventually be replaced but not in the near future. If you want something just get it in my opinion. The transition won't be instant either. It will be a long and gradual change. You're not going to wake up, check your news, and find that Canon no longer make or support EF lenses.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 24, 2012 11:55 |  #5

I'm sure there would be adapters released to support EF lenses for a long time to come. As the old saying goes 'why fix something that aint already broken'. It would cost a lot of money in R&D for Canon to produce a complete new lens mount that's suitable for every camera they produce. It took them long enough to introduce the EOS-M mount and it's already got an adapter to use current EF lenses.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 24, 2012 13:09 |  #6

There is one more factor never mentioned in these threads which can also affect EF mount longevity - consider that Canon might simply go out of business one day (like Kodak).

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 24, 2012 13:14 |  #7

pulsar123 wrote in post #15403486 (external link)
There is one more factor never mentioned in these threads which can also affect EF mount longevity - consider that Canon might simply go out of business one day (like Kodak).

Kodak actually never went 'out of business'. They just changed how they do it.
But taking the point you were conveying, think about what would need to change in technology to put Canon out of business.

Maybe cell phone cameras become better than current SLR models? Perhaps mirror-less brings a whole new ball player into the market.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 24, 2012 13:24 as a reply to  @ modchild's post |  #8

As I'm sure has already been rehashed many times on this issue, there is little reason to replace the EF mount interface. EF was introduced when Canon began producing auto focus cameras and lenses, and they went with a new design over an FD extension because it was easier and more reliable to simply use a whole new mount design.

So, the question is, what new feature would be added to lenses that could not be covered in an EF extension? They're not going to change it just to force people to buy new lenses, because then that creates a complete toss up on their customer base. If I have to buy all new lenses if I buy this new camera, well then I no longer have any reason to stick with Canon, and that shiny new Nikon, Sony, or New Techno-upstart company's offering looks damned tempting...

The obvious answer as to "What new feature" is fairly simple: Medium format. As prices fall on full frame cameras and the general cost of production for a given sensor size is reduced, then chances are good that Canon will look to bring a new line of larger than full frame sensors to market, which would mean a whole new mounting design. (In which case hopefully we can see a full frame 'flex' body, which is easily configured to accept either EF or 'MEF' lenses.)

Edit: To make it clear, I see it as exceptionally unlikely for EF to actually disappear any time in the next several decades. About the only way that EF dies is if the market pushes the low end consumer to small sensor mirrorless systems, and the pro-sumer/professional to medium format. This would mean no new EF full frame bodies produces, and no more need for new EF lenses.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2012 18:24 |  #9

HA! OP = StayLucky...last poster = Luckless :D

But yeah, Luckless is completely right (I was going to say this too, but it's been said so many times), they switched from FD to EF because there was a hugely compelling reason: namely AF and aperture control from the body. They'll need another massive change (of which there is no sign) to change mounts.

And he's completely right...if Canon came out with a new mount that made the current stuff outdated, I'd likely switch to Nikon...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

StayLucky
THREAD ­ STARTER
719 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2012 21:54 |  #10

After reading the responses here as well as the other thread linked in the first reply, I think that IF this were to ever happen, Canon would offer both systems simultaneously, giving users the option to slowly migrate. I sincerely doubt it would happen over night now. With all the rumor sites and forums, word spreads instantly today.

inspectoring
207 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 24, 2012 22:46 as a reply to  @ StayLucky's post |  #11

The only thing that worries me is the mirorless full frame cameras....like NEX and rx100 etc. These can force Canon to abandon their lower end DSLRs - i.e. all the way up to 7D,6D or even 5DMk iii.

Alternatively, Canon may find that these new cameras satisfy most of the consumers needs.

Either way, Canon would not be able to hang on to these customers and as a result our investments would seriously depreciate.

Gear: 7D, Canon 70-200 f8 MK II, 70-200 f4 IS, 24-70 f2.8 and Sigmalux 50 f1.4 Flash: 580EXii

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 25, 2012 05:32 |  #12

I really prefer non-LCD viewfinders. Something about viewing your lens's capture on a computer monitor doesn't feel right. Love the good old light going from the front of the lens to your eye. I will never move to those little trendy NEX's.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,063 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 25, 2012 08:17 |  #13

there is little reason to replace the EF mount interface. EF was introduced when Canon began producing auto focus cameras and lenses, and they went with a new design over an FD extension because it was easier and more reliable to simply use a whole new mount.

Yeah to the introduction back then of eye controlled focus! Bring it back!!!!!!!!!

sponsored links

2,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF Mount lifespan
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.