Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 14:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guess the lighting - just for fun.

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2012 14:23 |  #1

Any guesses to what this might be? (lighting manufacturer)

And yes, I own and use them. Fun stuff.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2012 16:00 |  #2

Briese.....

MARK

PM01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2012 16:30 as a reply to  @ The Loft Studios's post |  #3

Briese 180cm Focus. 6 foot parabolic. They're quite fun to use and, imo, better built than the equivalent Bron para. The Bron para tends to pinch on the hinges and tears the textile fabric. Also, the Bron unit is quite a bit heavier.

Only exception is the Bron para 88. Almost as easy to setup as the Briese 85/100/77.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2012 18:30 |  #4

nice unit :cool:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 24, 2012 09:11 |  #5

FJ LOVE wrote in post #15401122 (external link)
nice unit :cool:

Not that there's anything wrong with that..:lol:

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 24, 2012 13:17 |  #6

PM01 wrote in post #15400376 (external link)
Any guesses to what this might be? (lighting manufacturer)

And yes, I own and use them. Fun stuff.

I noticed that the black disk in the center of the modifier is just a little low and right.
I also noticed similar displacement on images on the Briese website.
Is that the light source with the affect of gravity?

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

PM01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 24, 2012 15:43 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #7

Nope. That's just me taking the pic slightly off center.

Effects of gravity are MUCH worse on the Broncolor Paras. You're literally hanging a 6 pound or more light head towards the edge of the umbrella/para when in the extended configuration. Bron could not imitate the Briese or otherwise they would be socked with a lawsuit again. That's why the Broncolor has the FF and the FB design, but they still won't come close to the simplicity or the light/ray tracing that the Briese produces. Simply less to get in the way.

The Briese light (flash tube/modeling light module) weighs, at most, 1/2 a pound. The connecting rod is aluminum (hollow to allow airflow to cool the flash tube) so there's hardly any weight. The Broncolor para is a much different story.

Briese 180 + the aluminum rod + flash/modeling module weighs in at about 10 pounds. Broncolor Para 177 + Pulso (or even the Unilite) is easily in the 25 pound region.

Ease of setup - I'd give it to the Briese anyday. No crank handle, no need to check behind each and every hinge (24 of them) to make sure that there's no pinching of the fabric, no need to make sure that the 6 pound flash head doesn't fall off. Plus you can use a lighter weight light stand with the Briese. I've seen Broncolor Paras have mechanical failures (you can find the vid online via the popular "tube" places) and it takes 4 hours to repair. Do a search on "spline" when on the popular "tube" sites.

Any failures of the Briese are easy to fix. Most I've heard of is one of the carbon fiber rods breaking from heavy duty abuse. They're easy to work on and certainly much less time than the 4 hours for a spline repair.

Still, I shoot with the Bron Para 88 in addition to the Briese 180, and imo, it's Brons best designed para. Plus if you're crafty enough, you can adapt many flash units to utilize the wonderful Bron para 88 design. If you have a custom made extension rod, you can put the Quantum Trio Q flash tube through there. Just keep the Q flash head behind the umbrella and control it wirelessly. Quite fun!

sponsored links

1,765 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guess the lighting - just for fun.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.