Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 01:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports Photo Journalism Career in College

Cos267
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 23, 2012 01:54 |  #1

I am a current Metro State student in Denver, CO. I am in my 2nd year of college and just got great news that the sports dept. offered me a full scholarship to shoot for all and any sports. This is a 25,000+ student school so it's a honor to be picked for this position out of all the photo journalist students. Of course not all are photo journalist. So I have too many photos so I will try and pick a few and feedback would be great.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i811.photobucke​t.com …led-1copy_zps8c956a79.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i811.photobucke​t.com …ntitled-2_zpseed605ab.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
EppinG
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 23, 2012 10:55 |  #2

I think the photos are better numbered here so we can easily pick one for comment?

Jay ­ B
133 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 23, 2012 12:31 |  #3

I agree. I see several that I would consider commenting on. Congrats on the full ride.

My camera doesn't take great pictures.....I do! :rolleyes:
Canon 50D
EF-S-18-55 IS / EF-S 55-250 IS / EF-S 60 Macro / Sigma 150-500/ EF-28-105 (Burned out motor) Tamron 18-270, Sigma 17-70

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 23, 2012 17:30 |  #4

congrats. I like your shooting style what equipment are you using?

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

sil180sr
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 24, 2012 22:38 |  #5

some great shots there!

Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 27, 2012 11:20 |  #6

Good for you on the scholarship!
You caught some good action. I don't know what equipment you have, but the general rule for sports is, (and for a lot of other types of images), to shoot tight & edit even tighter.
Sports Shooting Tutorials and Advice

Far from a great shot, but you get the idea: http://img.photobucket​.com …-08_0132.jpg?t=12255911​42 (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Nu2this
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Dec 27, 2012 12:43 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

I agree that individual pics would be better than a collage but I'll comment on what I see. It looks like you know where to be positioned for the shots; they are from all different angles and points of view which keeps them interesting, your timing on the action is also pretty good. The pictures are small but it looks like you have the focusing down pretty good, and the depth of field is pretty decent on several but I can see where a shallower depth on some of them would isolate the main subject a little more. That's harder to control in the constant action scenario you're shooting in vs having time for set up, but maybe something to consciously think about when you're looking for something extra for a feature shot. Overall they are very good and I think they made a good choice in picking you out of the crowd. That kind of exposure early on can go a long ways towards the big jobs down the road.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L,
Canon 580 EX II

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 27, 2012 17:30 |  #8

I like how you capture the peak moment in so many of the shots. I am usually a bit behind and catch the letdown AFTER the peak of the action.

Nu2 brought up focus issues and I'll bring up what I notice:
Many of the shots have arms (or other obstructions) going across the faces of the subjects.
#32 on the jumpshot
#5/22 in the foreground
#44 on the layup (or rebound?)
Goalkeep on the block?

Once again, the peak moments are fine..especially the upper right, lower left, and lower right (can the post be cloned out? ;) )

Congrats on the scholarship. I'm pricing colleges for my high school senior. $25K can go a long way to cutting post-graduation debt.

We'll be looking for more of your work (and the opportunity to learn from you) in the coming months and years.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 04, 2013 14:46 |  #9

Congrats on the scholarship... Since you are still in school, look for some kind of business minor.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports Photo Journalism Career in College
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.