Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon Tax begins Nov. 1, 2013 for Massachusetts

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 25, 2012 11:22 |  #31

They appear to be going for the states that will generate the most revenue first (Kalifornia and Massachusetts), I think Idaho and Hawaii are probably pretty far down their list for revenue generation. I own property in Oregon that I can ship to if push comes to shove.

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 25, 2012 11:32 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

rick_reno wrote in post #15355318 (external link)
Still no tax here in Idaho. I haven't been in Hawaii to try and order there.

Idaho has computers? When did that happen? Next thing you know, Michigan will get shoes! Little known fact about Indiana: there are more hogs than people in Indiana. And you thought that smell was coming from Illinois!

Gear List

TheArchitect
327 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 25, 2012 11:40 |  #33

rick_reno wrote in post #15405843 (external link)
They appear to be going for the states that will generate the most revenue first (Kalifornia and Massachusetts), I think Idaho and Hawaii are probably pretty far down their list for revenue generation. I own property in Oregon that I can ship to if push comes to shove.

I'm surprised it took my beloved Taxachusetts this long to get Amazon to start collecting. I'll still use my Prime account regularly but will mumble to myself for a while doing it. It won't affect my photography purchases, though. I go through B&H or Adorama almost exclusively for my gear.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 25, 2012 13:02 |  #34

Ball4 wrote in post #15405078 (external link)
Once they started collecting taxes in CA, they lost me as a customer.

again, it's not really amazon's choice, and it's a bit unfair to penalize them for what the states are requiring. i do think same-day delivery plans will be a fair trade-off as it would mean that instead of going to the store to pick something up, you could order something during your lunch break and have it delivered to your doorstep by the time you get back from work. since they deal in volume, amazon still might be quite a bit cheaper than a regular brick and mortar since they have less overhead.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 25, 2012 13:37 |  #35

TSchrief wrote in post #15405861 (external link)
Idaho has computers? When did that happen? Next thing you know, Michigan will get shoes! Little known fact about Indiana: there are more hogs than people in Indiana. And you thought that smell was coming from Illinois!

Back in the late 80's, we were moving from NYC back to Palo Alto. I was done at Columbia and took a position back at Stanford. We'd bought a rust bucket of a Peugeot car in NYC, I had faculty parking but it was a couple of blocks from our apartment and I wanted something I could park on the street and have it not be bothered. This car was perfect, no one would go near it. The a/c didn't work so we drove thru Indiana and Iowa with the windows down in August. The stench was incredible, but the people were great.

just_cause
40 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 25, 2012 14:39 |  #36

Thanks for posting. I'm sad to see the net tax coming up as a way to crush one of the few free and competitive arena's for retailers and their customers ;)

Canon T3i / Canon Speedlite 430EX II / Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II / Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 25, 2013 09:50 |  #37

Just got my tax notice from Amazon here in Tennessee...yuk!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,135 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 25, 2013 13:38 |  #38

Rally Man wrote in post #15354144 (external link)
For us in California we have been getting charged tax for at least a month now. For electronic stuff I am using other companies now. It's the same situation for newegg.

I'm in the same boat. been a prime user for many years now, and I am close to cancelling my membership. Amazon is a really good company and all, but my wallet will come first.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

BrandonPerkins
308 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2013 14:08 |  #39

Been taxing here since sept. 2012 :(

Click for PortfoliO (external link)

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 05, 2013 08:39 |  #40

As a consumer, this stinks. But as a practical matter, this only makes sense and is fair as states have been missing out on TONS of tax money.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 05, 2013 09:12 |  #41

Aren't you legally obligated to report these tax-free purchases at the end of the year?

It's required here in Washington State. We have to pay use tax.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

lowrider
802 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2013 12:27 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #42

^^^^You certainly are, at least in Arizona. The Tax form specifically contains a line for such entries. But, how many of us do that??? I know I don't.

Lou

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2013 13:21 |  #43

lowrider wrote in post #15575298 (external link)
^^^^You certainly are, at least in Arizona. The Tax form specifically contains a line for such entries. But, how many of us do that??? I know I don't.

Lou

I believe here in MA, they include a safe-haven amount for assumed tax-free purchases which everyone (usually, to my knowledge) pays. It seems like opting out of that really kind of sends a 'audit me!' flag. (In fairness, my wife prepared our taxes this year. I really hope she paid the safe-haven amount for online purchases, now that I think of it!)

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 05, 2013 13:26 |  #44

it's just fair and doesn't matter one bit to me here in CA. And it made me buy things locally that I would have ordered before, if the price difference isn't too big.
But that was just a silly loophole that needed to get closed. Online merch has already killed so many local businesses, we have exactly one bookstore left (B&N) and what's left of camera stores is useless, they don't stock high priced items anymore. Most are gone as well. Town is full of clothing stores and shoe stores.

I just hope they do funnel it back into my town, not sure if they do or if it all just goes to CA in general.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 05, 2013 20:05 |  #45

phantelope wrote in post #15575514 (external link)
it's just fair and doesn't matter one bit to me here in CA. And it made me buy things locally that I would have ordered before, if the price difference isn't too big.
But that was just a silly loophole that needed to get closed. Online merch has already killed so many local businesses, we have exactly one bookstore left (B&N) and what's left of camera stores is useless, they don't stock high priced items anymore. Most are gone as well. Town is full of clothing stores and shoe stores.

I just hope they do funnel it back into my town, not sure if they do or if it all just goes to CA in general.

Yeah, as a MA consumer I'm very unhappy about this, but really it's been a long time coming. In the grand scheme this is the only fair thing, and it should theoretically provide a bit of a boost to brick and mortar shops...and, who knows, in a perfect world maybe that extra money will pay for after-school programs and infrastructure improvements.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links

8,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon Tax begins Nov. 1, 2013 for Massachusetts
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.