Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm 1.4 Soft?

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 25, 2012 20:47 |  #16

FMX wrote in post #15406629 (external link)
I used One shot to get the focus, then switched to MF so that it wouldn't change.

Ah, that might be a problem. Switching the AF/MF switch on the lens can move you out of position enough to throw focus off at f/1.4. I think it can also slightly shift the lens focus.

I believe your f/1.4 shot is simply OOF. Could be that the lens needs some MA or you shifted things enough to move the focus plane off the subject. My 50 f/1.4 is significantly sharper wide open than what your image is showing.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 25, 2012 20:47 |  #17

Use tripod, get out of Servo AF and don't switch to Manual focus and do not recompose. Use a focus chart taped to a a wall. The DOF is so shallow at 1.4 that the slightest shift in focus will throw off your sharpness.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 25, 2012 21:07 |  #18

The first thing I would do is shoot something that is wide an angular to the shooter, so as a brick wall at 45 degrees or a ruler.

That way you can see whether it is sharp anywhere at all. If yes then you have an AF problem. If not the thing has some elements out of whack.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 25, 2012 21:44 |  #19

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …ample-Crops.aspx?Lens=115 (external link)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

miggymig83
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2012 04:42 |  #20

I just received my 50mm 1.4 and I'm having similar issues on my 60D. Except I am using a tripod. I take the shot w/ af on it looks just like your first shot. When I switch to mf and live view I'm able to get the shot a lot sharper. Maybe that is your issue also. I want to try it on a focusing chart before I decide to send it back to B&H.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 26, 2012 09:21 |  #21

DIY Focusing Chart

http://www.peleng8.com​/how-to-detect-back-focus.html (external link)

The way to decide on lens sharpness is with Live View MF. On a tripod. With no IS.

Once you decided that your lens is sharp, then you shoot the target, per instructions with AF. On a tripod. With no IS. Then you can decide whether your lens is fron- or back-focusing.

If it is sharp on-target...

You need to work on your technique...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 26, 2012 11:45 |  #22

you need to use the tri-pod not only for motion blur, but to make sure your focus plane doesn't change

at 1.4 it's smaller than you think, just a slight movement forward or backward can make a difference

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

FMX
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2012 12:24 |  #23

Interesting. So it is definitely confirmed soft at 1.4 anyway. Then... there is virtually no reason for me to spend 3x more than the 1.8, other than focusing speed.

Even the 50L is pretty soft at 1.2 in comparison to 2.8.

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 26, 2012 21:52 |  #24

FMX wrote in post #15409045 (external link)
Interesting. So it is definitely confirmed soft at 1.4 anyway. Then... there is virtually no reason for me to spend 3x more than the 1.8, other than focusing speed.

Even the 50L is pretty soft at 1.2 in comparison to 2.8.

There is a LOT more to life than sharpness. It took me a while to figure that out. The 50 f/1.8 is a bargain but it is an inferior lens to the 50 f/1.4 (mechanically, AF performance, bokeh performance). The 50L is another league all together for contrast, color, bokeh.

Yes, all 3 are softer wide open than they are at f/5.6, but so are most lenses. The question is whether or not the overall image is sharp enough, and many times they are.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm 1.4 Soft?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.