Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bryan Carnathan's eagerly awaited 6D review . . .

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 26, 2012 00:22 |  #1

. . . seems generally positive. Your thoughts?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

sponsored links
El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 26, 2012 01:38 |  #2

I'm trying to decide between a 6D and a 5DIII at the moment and read the whole thing this morning, it's mostly positive but it's all the buts that still have me sitting on the fence.

Too bad as Canon have a $300 cash back in Australia at the moment and I found a deal today for $2850 ($2550 after cash back) with the 24-105 f4.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 04:03 |  #3

El Pedro wrote in post #15407829 (external link)
I'm trying to decide between a 6D and a 5DIII at the moment and read the whole thing this morning, it's mostly positive but it's all the buts that still have me sitting on the fence.

How can you be sitting on the fence between those two models? If you have enough for a 5D3, then get it. There is no comparison.

After seeing the reviews, I'm not a fan of the 6D AF or button layout.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 26, 2012 05:47 |  #4

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #15407984 (external link)
How can you be sitting on the fence between those two models? If you have enough for a 5D3, then get it. There is no comparison.

Hmmm... I'm pretty much on the fence too. 6D advantages for me are small size and lower weight, better low light and noise performance and built in wifi. I like the controls (have used 60D and 7D). 5DIII does have the more flexible AF though...

I'm going to try them in a shop tomorrow.

Mark

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 26, 2012 05:50 |  #5

The button layout is no problem for me as I have a 60D, if anything it's a positive as it would be familiar to me. It's not a matter of having the cash it's do I want to spend it on a camera and if I go with the cheaper model will I wish I'd spent the extra in 6 months time?

There is a comparison, a very close one actually but there is no doubt the 5D3 is the superior model.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 26, 2012 07:26 |  #6

I like this review, except one thing bothered me. Throughout the review, the author focuses on a direct comparison between the 6D and the 5D Mark II ... However, when he did the tracking AI Servo tests with the galloping horses, he compared against the 5D III (three), not the 5D II (two).

I think it's an obvious conclusion that the 5D III AI Servo mode with 61 AF points will kick the 6D's butt. I was actually interested, for pure comparison sake, in how the 6D would compare in that department to the 5D II.

It's like taking out 2 cars, neither of which is suited to off-roading, but then taking one of them in an off-road course/test and pulling out a Range Rover (or a Hummer H1) just for that test. No need to even bother :)

I was happy with most of his findings on the 6D. Overall he seemed slightly surprised, if not outright reluctant, to concede certain wins to the 6D over the 5DII. I felt this was particularly the case with the ISO and image quality tests.

Great review overall though, and extremely detailed.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 26, 2012 09:03 as a reply to  @ ddk632's post |  #7

I'm also still on the fence. I can afford the 5D3, but actually cannot justify its price. Buying the 5D3 would give me the same feeling as buying a car that costs 40.000 euro i.e. spending way too much money on something.

Things I really like about the 6D:

• Center focuspoint sensitive to -3 EV.
  • WiFi -> EOS Remote: I can imagine loads of situations where this would be a very nice feature to have e.g. selfportraits/group portraits with me in it or just setting the camera outside near some birdfood and waiting for a bird to come over.
  • Slightly better noise performance and dynamic range than the 5D3.
The only thing that bothers me is the AF system. 11 points are fine for me, but I don't like the fact that only one is a crosstype point and that they are all centered. If I compare that to my 550D (T2i) AF system, then my 550D actually seems to have a better AF system in good light i.e. it's MUCH easier to apply the rule of thirds with it.

Already thinking of ways to apply the rule of thirds with the 6D, without backfocusing after using the default focus & recompose method. I think I know a way, but it's rather silly and not 100% foolproof. Go stand right in front of the subject so it's centered in the frame and use the center AF point to focus. Now sidestep to the left or right (on a straight line) until the subject is approximately located at one third of the frame and take the picture. If done right, the focus distance has never changed, so there will be no focus shift.

If I would pick the 5D3, I would also buy the WiFi unit which would make the price difference between the 6D and 5D3 rather insane and it would be a rather clumsy setup compared to the built-in WiFi of the 6D. If only the 6D had 11 crosstype focuspoints which were spread across the frame a bit more, then it would be a no-brainer...

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 26, 2012 09:15 |  #8

For what it's worth, the outer points on the 6D are actually pretty spread out. When I first got it, they seemed clumped together. However, after doing some shots of my family/kids at home with decent light, using the outer point and framing without centering works pretty well with minimal recompose.

So in actual use it is better than what I thought just looking through the viewfinder doing random test shots.

Again this is with decent light. For low light, then center point and recompose is the only viable option.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,325 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 26, 2012 09:49 |  #9

I agree, there's no comparison between the two. 5D2 and 6D are close, but 5D3 is really in a different league.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,333 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 26, 2012 11:41 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #10

Honestly don't know how there could be any confusion about canons full frame line up. 6D is the entry point and will do a great job for many applications,, if your shooting for $$ and need advanced features of the AF system 5D3 and 1Dx have better options for those needs,, not like your gonna get a bad camera these days,, they are all lightyears ahead of what we had 5 yrs ago,, If any one single feature is a deal breaker then get the camera,, not sure why everyone has to slam another model because they have something different in the bag. Bryan's is the best out there for telling the consumer how it is. 6D looks pretty good,, but not for my needs,, pretty obvious choices for a photographer to me

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bmaca
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 26, 2012 12:52 |  #11

jocau wrote in post #15408423 (external link)
The only thing that bothers me is the AF system. 11 points are fine for me, but I don't like the fact that only one is a crosstype point and that they are all centered. If I compare that to my 550D (T2i) AF system, then my 550D actually seems to have a better AF system in good light i.e. it's MUCH easier to apply the rule of thirds with it.

Why do you say that the t2i has a better AF system? Is it because the AF points are spaced better? I have a t2i as well and am thinking about upgrading to the 6D but the AF system is also keeping me on the fence.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 26, 2012 13:15 |  #12

bmaca wrote in post #15409168 (external link)
Why do you say that the t2i has a better AF system? Is it because the AF points are spaced better? I have a t2i as well and am thinking about upgrading to the 6D but the AF system is also keeping me on the fence.

Like I said in my previous post: the AF points of the 550D (T2i) are spread across the frame while the AF points of the 6D are more centered. This makes it easier to apply the rule of thirds on the 550D (T2i) without using focus & recompose. Of course the center point of the 6D is much better in low light than that of the 550D (T2i). But as long as you have enough light, I don't think that the AF systems of the 550D (T2i) and 6D differ that much (e.g. both have only 1 crosstype point).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

PNPhotography
805 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 26, 2012 14:21 |  #13

Most of the official reviews I've read say the IQ is slightly BETTER on the 6d than the 5dMKIII.The controls on the 6D really aren't that bad,just a little learning curve.Honestly though If I had the extra $$$ I probably would have got the 5dMKIII.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 26, 2012 17:30 |  #14

Good review, interesting read...STILL not enough to convince me to ditch the 5D2 and get a 6D, though...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 26, 2012 17:53 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #15

Bryan updated his noise images so that he now has 6D noise images scaled up to 5d MkIII size. I can't see that there is any discernible difference in noise. There is still the 6D's advantage of -3EV focusing, though. So in that respect, I guess you could give it the low light edge.

The wifi and GPS are cool, but if money is no object, the MkIII is clearly the way to go. However for many folks, like myself, money is tight and you make decisions based on your financial state. I couldn't justify the extra ~$1000 for the MkIII's advantages (better AF system, faster shutter speed, etc). So it'll be the 6D for me. My 7D will fill in where the 6D might struggle.

I've read where folks who do lots of hiking are thrilled with the 6D's lower weight and size, plus the obvious advantage of built-in GPS for hiking. For them as well, the 6D is the way to go.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

8,388 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bryan Carnathan's eagerly awaited 6D review . . .
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.