Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not impressed by the 135L

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 23, 2012 07:40 as a reply to  @ post 15398382 |  #61

85L vs 135L. Two different pieces of glass. Grab what you like and can afford and go shoot.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

sponsored links
Naturography
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 23, 2012 07:43 |  #62

I have to be honest imo 135L is one of the canon's sharpest L and the bokeh is amazing wide open. But after owning all 3 (85,135 and 70-200 II) i have to admit that the 135L has been collecting dusts. I sold one and repurchased it again about a month later but haven't used it much at all. It's in the marketplace fs section and this will be it.

With that being said, i'm still impressed with images it produces though.

Phuong
Gear List / Feedbacks

EnsitMike
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 23, 2012 07:53 |  #63

Thorrulz wrote in post #15399212 (external link)
There's your opinion again, now take your argument over to the 135L thread and see how it holds up.;) Better yet why not have a Mod move your initial posting over to the 85L thread where it really does belong.

Here is a better way to put your title you made for this thread without putting one lens over the other in performance or image quality. How about "Which specialty L lens do you prefer between the 85L and 135L"? Please give reasons for your selection and examples if possible please. But seriously, by looking at the two lens threads and picking one over the other and making a post with that title shows to me an individual that has jumped to a conclusion and is offering no evidence to show his findings are correct.

And there is no possible way you can prove your theory is correct because it isn't possible due to all the varialbles included in taking a photo with any specialty prime lens. Primes with different focal lengths exist for a reason not only because one is better than the other at delivering your imagined imaged quality. That is more up to the artist wielding the tool than the actual tool.

Pardon me now while I go make a post with the title "Not impressed with the 85L".;)

And btw everyone I am having a good day and filled with the Christmas Spirit, just hard to believe some of these postings are made without thinking moreso of how the title should be stated.;)

Again, outspoken. Allow me to reply.

The title was made for dramatic effect, though you seem to be overly cerebral and therefor borderline socially inept to the point of overlooking the luring appeal of strongly worded titles. A true mark of intellect is development of the capacity to transition to and from normality, and to not be stuck in perpetual high-minded purgatory. Regardless, the title is completely fitting given that it is a completely subjective statement, and bares no words nor implied meanings of having absolute value.

With that said, if "there is no possible way you can prove your theory is correct," then don't ask for examples and evidence, as clearly, by your mind, that would be redundant.

<[EOS-M][5D MKII][1D MKII][Elan7][700][Hass​elblad 500]>
22/2 EFM | 35L/1.4 | 40/2.8 Pancake | 50/1.8 | 50L/1.2 | 85LII/1.2 | 24-70L/2.8 | 70-200L/4.0

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 23, 2012 08:34 |  #64

EnsitMike wrote in post #15399274 (external link)
Again, outspoken. Allow me to reply.

The title was made for dramatic effect, though you seem to be overly cerebral and therefor borderline socially inept to the point of overlooking the luring appeal of strongly worded titles. A true mark of intellect is development of the capacity to transition to and from normality, and to not be stuck in perpetual high-minded purgatory. Regardless, the title is completely fitting given that it is a completely subjective statement, and bares no words nor implied meanings of having absolute value.

With that said, if "there is no possible way you can prove your theory is correct," then don't ask for examples and evidence, as clearly, by your mind, that would be redundant.

Your strongly worded alluring title that you have for this thread is something I do recognize and appreciate thank you. It allows for easy identification of a troll such as yourself who likes to bait and switch which is all you have done for a contribution to this "topic" since you started it.

I can hardly wait to see your next posting on what you're "not" impressed with next. It ought to be good for some holiday chuckle. :lol:You may now continue on.............

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2012 08:57 |  #65

Thor, I think the OP titled it like he meant it. No one made you click on it so you don't have to like it. It's his opinion, just like you have yours and I have mine. We all shoot as it behooves us, and use the glass we prefer, or simply like, or can afford...whatever the reasons they're our own just like our opinions.

It's almost always a matter of perspective and that comes from personal experience. You take a guy that shot medium format with prime lenses and that's what he'll favor because that's what he grew comfortable with. The guy that's never shot anything but a Rebel with a kit lens is in his element with that equipment. Sometimes when we break out of our "box" we find ourselves capable of much more than we ever imagined.

I know a guy that shoots almost exclusively with the 135L, doing weddings, and makes a very nice living with it. I find it's not for me. The 70-200 2.8L IS suits me better. The thing is, we all shoot our style and find our comfort zone and have our clients. That's what makes it interesting! And sometimes difficult for the client, choosing a Photographer and picking a style they like as well.

Me, I just like the way the 200 f2 LOOKS! Fat and all. lol That's my story and I'm sticking to it! (Now if I could only Afford one!)

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

ejicon
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 24, 2012 02:58 |  #66

I wish I owned one of both lens here :)

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 26, 2012 05:13 |  #67

love the 135L used the 85L but its not the sort of lens I found locked in focus to do stuff like this. The 85 is beautiful and for other stuff, two totally different lenses

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 26, 2012 11:09 |  #68

Looks like Julie pegged it, never bring a knife to a gunfight!

I guess I should make that clear to those that don't see beyond the mere words...pick the right tool for the job at hand.

I found it exasperating when I got my first DSLR, which lens to use? Sometimes it seems you just never have the RIGHT one! But it's all in learning the parameters of each lens, how they work with the camera, and what shot you're going for. Simple enough, right? lol

Maybe we should add Camera Brand to the list of things not to talk about... politics, religion and camera brand, oh and car make, and carbonated beverage, beer, food, now focal length....aaaaggghh...​impossible! :p Isn't it nice we all have such varied opinions? :)

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2012 11:35 |  #69

I had both, sold both, and much preferred the 135L over the 85L. The 135L was super flexible for a prime. I shot sports with it and it was ultra fast with super sharp images. I shot portraits with it. I shot candids with it. My 85L was a great portrait lens but it was so specific for duty that I couldn't justify the expense. I sold the 135L when I bought the 70-200LII. I miss it dearly for its speed, light weight, beautiful bokeh, and sharpness. I also miss the stealth qualities without waving around a big white nose. I do not miss the 85L with its limited abilities and finicky focus even though it's an impressive chunk of glass.

Randy...

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2012 11:42 |  #70

Had the 135L. Wasn't impressed. It may well be Canon's sharpest lens or whatever, but you can't look at a photo and say, "Ah ha! That photo is so sharp only the 135L could have taken it!" Further, I found the working distance to be quite a handicap. As far as AF speed, 85L detractors make it seem like the lens is a dial up modem. Granted it's not suited for action, but it's not like you're on hold with a customer service rep in India waiting for it to focus. Lastly, the 85L is effectively two full stops faster - 1.3 stops in aperture and 0.6 stops in hand-holdability. Really the only thing I liked about the 135 is that it's smaller and lighter than a 70-200.

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 26, 2012 13:12 |  #71

sgtbueno wrote in post #15398164 (external link)
By far the 135L is the best L lens

For YOU, perhaps. I had one and while it is a very nice lens, I didn't find handy for my shooting style. The longish fixed focal just wasn't handy for ME. The 70-200 f/2.8 while a stop slower, just works better for me. If I need f/2 I can always use my 85 f/1.8, although I'm rarely in a situation where I must have f/2.

Tim
Equipment

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2012 13:47 |  #72

Oh, my. I'll bet some folks families are glad they're bickering here rather than about which wine to serve with dinner.

Seriously: shoot with what you love. Don't keep what you don't like. Buy what you want, use what you need.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,486 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 26, 2012 14:33 |  #73

Exactly, I had the same feeling and re-bought 135L after selling both and buying 70-200 II
Don't miss the 85L at all, f1.2 too narrow, slow af, heavy,....
Concerning 135L I had the same feeling as the other 2 posters here above, 135mm too long, but this is really an outside modelling lens or candid, and you can see exactly which pics are made with 135l, it really makes an "image signature", foreground & background nicely blurred, also great bokeh thanks to the longer focal length, in some cases it's even a bit exagerated, looks like a painting :)

dog rocket wrote in post #15408891 (external link)
I had both, sold both, and much preferred the 135L over the 85L. The 135L was super flexible for a prime. I shot sports with it and it was ultra fast with super sharp images. I shot portraits with it. I shot candids with it. My 85L was a great portrait lens but it was so specific for duty that I couldn't justify the expense. I sold the 135L when I bought the 70-200LII. I miss it dearly for its speed, light weight, beautiful bokeh, and sharpness. I also miss the stealth qualities without waving around a big white nose. I do not miss the 85L with its limited abilities and finicky focus even though it's an impressive chunk of glass.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 26, 2012 17:09 |  #74

Don't get it if you don't like it.

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 27, 2012 11:26 |  #75

LostArk wrote in post #15408913 (external link)
Had the 135L. Wasn't impressed. It may well be Canon's sharpest lens or whatever, but you can't look at a photo and say, "Ah ha! That photo is so sharp only the 135L could have taken it!" Further, I found the working distance to be quite a handicap. As far as AF speed, 85L detractors make it seem like the lens is a dial up modem. Granted it's not suited for action, but it's not like you're on hold with a customer service rep in India waiting for it to focus. Lastly, the 85L is effectively two full stops faster - 1.3 stops in aperture and 0.6 stops in hand-holdability. Really the only thing I liked about the 135 is that it's smaller and lighter than a 70-200.

That's debatable. There are several photos I've seen on this site that I went wow, that looks that a photo from a 135L, and sure enough it was.

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links

15,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not impressed by the 135L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.