Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 24 Dec 2012 (Monday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggest me something for 4000 USD budget (videography)

soamz
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 24, 2012 23:40 |  #1

Hi..
We have been providing professional photography services for quite some time now and now clients are demanding a lot to cover their events as well.
I normally shoot with 5D Mark II and Mark III all the time.

And for videography, Im thinking to buy a tripod, monopod, 2 extra 32GB CF cards and a new 5D Mark III .

I have no idea about camcorders available which is better than 5D mark III within the 4000 USD range.

So, can someone help me with it ?

My main requirements :

Full HD recording, 1920x1080p
16:9 recording
29 or 30fps
Good storage and long shooting time
Good focal range and aperture atleast should be wider till f2.8 .

Pros with 5D Mark III setup :

I can simply buy a Canon 16-35mm f2.8 lens and attach to 5D Mark III , so I can get aperture wider till 2.8 .

Cons with 5D Mark III setup :

But a lot of CF cards , sandisk extreme pro cards are priced crazy high. For a 2-3 hours event, I will end up buying around 5-10 cards, which would be around more 3000 USD, which is impossible now.

So, what brand and make model, would you suggest, now that you know my requirements ?

Budget : 4000 USD.

sponsored links
akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 25, 2012 03:07 |  #2

Well, if you could afford it, I'd get the Canon C100 but that's a little out of your budget. You can find used Sony FS-100 cameras for around $3200. these days. That's a great camera for low light and is much sharper than the 5D2 or 5D3. You can also use your existing Canon glass with a Metabones converter. It uses SD cards so you're safe there and also a 24 Mbps codec so it doesn't gobble up space too badly. The new Sony EA50 is also an excellent event camera.

I had to make a similar decision recently and went with the Panasonic GH3 micro 4/3 cameras. It's very sharp, has an excellent dynamic range, shoots 1080p at 60 fps, has a very good codec and is affordable. The run time is also not limited to 30 minutes. You can get very fast lenses for it like the excellent Voightlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 for shallow DOF like the big boys. I need multiple cameras for different angles all recording simultaneously so price was a factor. I also own both the Canon 5D2 and 5D3 as well as a 60D and a bunch of L lenses to give you some background.

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 15 fish | 35L | 50L | 50 macro | 85L | 100L macro | 135L | 17-40L | 24-70L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 1.4x | 3x 580EX | 550EX | 2x 540EZ

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 25, 2012 06:27 |  #3

soamz wrote in post #15404876 (external link)
I have no idea about camcorders available which is better than 5D mark III within the 4000 USD range.

So, what brand and make model, would you suggest, now that you know my requirements ?

Ask yourself this question, am I going to do videography or cinematography?

If it’s videography you want a camcorder, if it’s cinematography then run with the Canon.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 25, 2012 17:55 |  #4

Dont matter what beast you run with, but will you be providing good footages, none of that in and out of focus, annoys the hell of the most client and people like me. Are you going to provide good sounds, on board should is crap.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 25, 2012 18:08 |  #5

Channel One wrote in post #15405393 (external link)
Ask yourself this question, am I going to do videography or cinematography?

If it’s videography you want a camcorder, if it’s cinematography then run with the Canon.

Wayne

Wholeheartedly agree.

Joel

soamz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 26, 2012 11:24 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #6

Both!

We would like to make it more like a nice story telling video :)

So, a cinematic experience bw!

How about this one,
http://www.canon.co.in …ssional-camcorders/xl-h1a (external link) ?

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 26, 2012 11:54 |  #7

soamz wrote in post #15408864 (external link)
Both!

We would like to make it more like a nice story telling video :)

So, a cinematic experience bw!

The problem is video and cinema are two seemingly similar but quite different worlds and about all they have in common is they both utilize a process that captures moving images to a medium.

With cinema the shots are setup and commonly short, lighting, shot angles, pan rates and focus points are precisely determined in advance and then shot, plus utilizing wide open apertures and with the large frame sensors allows a shallow depth of field can be utilized as a dramatic tool in the production process.

Conversely video is more at home in a less controlled environment where you might have little or no control over the conditions you will be working with and this is where the higher effective pan rates of a 1/3 or 2/3 inch sensor play into your favor and the larger depth of field commonly found with camcorders makes pulling a decent focus a bit easier.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 26, 2012 15:54 |  #8

soamz wrote in post #15404876 (external link)
Hi..
We have been providing professional photography services for quite some time now and now clients are demanding a lot to cover their events as well.
I normally shoot with 5D Mark II and Mark III all the time.

And for videography, Im thinking to buy a tripod, monopod, 2 extra 32GB CF cards and a new 5D Mark III .

So, can someone help me with it ?

My main requirements :

Full HD recording, 1920x1080p
16:9 recording
29 or 30fps
Good storage and long shooting time
Good focal range and aperture atleast should be wider till f2.8 .

Pros with 5D Mark III setup :

I can simply buy a Canon 16-35mm f2.8 lens and attach to 5D Mark III , so I can get aperture wider till 2.8 .

Cons with 5D Mark III setup :

But a lot of CF cards , sandisk extreme pro cards are priced crazy high. For a 2-3 hours event, I will end up buying around 5-10 cards, which would be around more 3000 USD, which is impossible now.

You can find 5D Mkii's for around $1500.
Also, iirc for each 16gb of you get about 45 minutes or record time.
Look into the 055xprob legs with velbon ph-368 head which should run you around $180-200.
If you dont plan on doing any photography, you can pick up some samyang/rokinon primes for a reasonable price.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2012 19:37 |  #9

Biggest difference would be record time; Canon's DSLR's are set to stop recording after 4GB of data, to avoid the tax on importing video cameras into the US. That means that ever 12 minutes or so, they will stop recording, and you just have to click the button again.

As far as CF cards go, I wouldn't go SanDisk. Like you said, they're crazy expensive. I've never had a problem with Kingston's 16GB CF cards, and at $18, they're pretty cheap. They're fast enough for my 5D II, for sure, and Kingston's never really failed me. Here are the ones that I have:
http://www.adorama.com​/KGCF16GBU2.html (external link)

I saw you said 2-3 hours; you should only need around 5 of those; definitely should knock the teeth out of your $3,000 estimate for cards! ;)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links

1,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggest me something for 4000 USD budget (videography)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.