Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help - off color on prints

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 19, 2012 09:19 |  #1

Here is the original photo on my computer.

IMAGE: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/wysiwyg77/TargetFieldi_zpse636eca1.jpg

Here is a "close up" of the a print I print on my Canon Pro9000 two days ago. (using iPhone not best capture) notice the grass color has a brown tint compared to the original. I checked and cleaned the nozzles using Canon's utility software. I printed using Aperture & also thru PhotoShop CS6 and get the same results.

IMAGE: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/wysiwyg77/IMG_0648_zps7439b867.jpg

Any solutions

Thanks

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 13:10 |  #2

What sort of paper?
What icc profile are you using?
What Quality/Media have you selected?
Are you doing color management in the software, in the printer, or both?
Is your monitor calibrated?
Truly, these are the pressing questions of our time.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum that says "Why color management?" ... go check it out.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

5ifty ­ mm
121 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2012 21:04 |  #3

Nathan pretty much covered it there. Also here is a quick link for printing from Aperture.

http://www.redrivercat​alog.com …les-aperture-3-canon.html (external link)

The biggest thing is going to be the paper you are using, and making sure you have the correct paper profile selected for that paper. (You may have to download the icc profile from the manufacturer)

Camera + Lens

PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 19, 2012 22:13 |  #4

Also, even at the best of times, inks & pigments will not exactly match the RGB dots in your monitor.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

wysiwyg59
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 20, 2012 22:35 |  #5

Thanks for the responses. I have done exactly what all of you have stated. I used Aperture & PS CS6 to print this photo and it comes out the same with part of the of the grass being brown.

Again Thanks

Rick

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,170 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 21, 2012 00:18 |  #6

Rick
I haven't seen any answers to some of the points mentioned above.

Is your screen calibrated??

Have you had this issue with other images that have similar colour/saturation not coming out correctly in print?

Run through your setting on your print workflow etc.

If you are able, could you upload the image file somewhere so that we could have a go at it?

Lots of possibilities & variable, more detail required.

5ifty ­ mm
121 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 21, 2012 18:19 |  #7

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #15392309 (external link)
If you are able, could you upload the image file somewhere so that we could have a go at it?

I was going to say the same thing. Perhaps we could give printing a shot and see what we get.

Camera + Lens

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 22, 2012 15:04 |  #8

Rick,

YOu have to list all of what you do if you want us to try to find the problem. Monitor calibrated? Color management turned off at the printer end? What paper, and correct ICC for that paper? Etc.

I print with a pro 9000 II and don't have this problem. Also, I have never had a problem with q clogged print head nozzle on a Canon dye-based printer. So, I am guessing that there is something less than optimal in your work flow. Since it is happening with two software applications, that suggests something that is independent of the software, such as an incorrect ICC, color management at both the printer and software ends, a miscalibrated monitor, etc.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

wysiwyg59
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 26, 2012 16:02 |  #9

My iMac is not calibrated. I have not had any issues in the past with colors not matching this bad. I used two different papers - ILFORD - smooth gloss & InkPress - metallic, printing with the Canon Pro II profile.

Again Thanks for all the help

Rick

Mac ­ Mahon
71 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 26, 2012 22:25 |  #10

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #15409832 (external link)
My iMac is not calibrated. I have not had any issues in the past with colors not matching this bad. I used two different papers - ILFORD - smooth gloss & InkPress - metallic, printing with the Canon Pro II profile.

Again Thanks for all the help

Rick
I think you have answered your own question.

On the basis of my experience with the same setup I think it's more surprising that some images have matched than that this one doesn't.

Without a good monitor profile and a satisfactory printer profile for each paper you use, colour matching is simply a crapshoot.

FWIW I found the Ilford supplied profiles for their Smooth Pearl on the Pro9000 poor. I needed to create my own custom profile to get a good match.

There's a lot of information about color management on the web, including this site. There's a primer on my site /http://fromcameratopri​nt.com/ (external link) if you're interested.

Cheers

Tim

sponsored links

1,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help - off color on prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.