Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 19 Apr 2007 (Thursday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

this thread is locked
CanonFanBoy
146 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 26, 2012 10:27 |  #8596

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8311116538_c2e187b446_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/canonfanboy/8​311116538/  (external link)
EN8A0558 (external link) by CanonNikonFanboy (external link), on Flickr

Canon Eos 5DIII | Nikon D700 | 70-200 f/2.8l IS II | 100 f/2.8l | 50 f/1.2l

sponsored links
kbasdeo
600 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 26, 2012 10:28 |  #8597

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #15408634 (external link)
Have you tried micro-focus adjust?

I have not as I think it might be too tedious, but I really need to do all my lens. What is the best method of doing this? foCal calibration?

Instagram (external link) |Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV| Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 II f2.8L |35 f1.4 IIL | 50 f1.2L |85 II f1.2L | 580EXII

REDDOTT
149 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 26, 2012 12:48 |  #8598

kbasdeo - I'm exactly in the same mind-set with my lens. I did just buy foCal and will calibrate and test before I finally decide to send it or not. The software has many good reviews, just know that it is not fully automated for the 5D3. For what it promises to do, I thought it would be worth it - I'll let you know. Something I did notice for this lens is that focus accuracy seems to be better when the lens is focusing from near to infinity as opposed to infinity to near. I don't know why this would affect focus accuracy, but I get a lot more keepers if I force the lens to focus in the direction of near to infinity. It's a great lens that certainly has a learning curve. If you send it in, let us know Canon reports.

my name is rich / gear list
the older i get the more i realize how little i know

kbasdeo
600 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 26, 2012 13:58 |  #8599

REDDOTT wrote in post #15409151 (external link)
kbasdeo - I'm exactly in the same mind-set with my lens. I did just buy foCal and will calibrate and test before I finally decide to send it or not. The software has many good reviews, just know that it is not fully automated for the 5D3. For what it promises to do, I thought it would be worth it - I'll let you know. Something I did notice for this lens is that focus accuracy seems to be better when the lens is focusing from near to infinity as opposed to infinity to near. I don't know why this would affect focus accuracy, but I get a lot more keepers if I force the lens to focus in the direction of near to infinity. It's a great lens that certainly has a learning curve. If you send it in, let us know Canon reports.

Once I can get the lens to focus, I'm all smiles but it seems like I have to trash a lot of shots due to the focus issue. I ended up throwing on the 35L and didn't miss a shot with that. I'll keep your suggestion in mind once I get it back and see if it helps. I will also keep you guys updated on what they find. What version of foCal did you end up getting? I think I'll give this program a try.

Here's a keeper that I got with the lens yesterday.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8308783415_4516893c43_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/57197179@N04/8​308783415/  (external link)
Xavier (external link) by kbasdeo1 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV| Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 II f2.8L |35 f1.4 IIL | 50 f1.2L |85 II f1.2L | 580EXII

REDDOTT
149 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 26, 2012 14:30 |  #8600

kbasdeo - Great shots! I went with focal Pro. Will probably give it a try tonight as there's a snow storm starting and it will be a short work day.

yoon395
58 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 26, 2012 15:28 |  #8601

^I'd like to know about your experience with foCal Pro as well, please keep us posted!

Behance Portfolio (external link)

OskarPhotography
46 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2012 20:30 |  #8602

yoon395 wrote in post #15409705 (external link)
^I'd like to know about your experience with foCal Pro as well, please keep us posted!

yeah me too... i want to buy, but there is no payment option in my country.

Canon [5D III • S100 • 8-15 4L Fish Eye • 24 1.4L II • 50 1.2L • 50 1.8 II • 85 1.2L II • 85 1.8 • 100 2.8L Macro • 135 2L • 70-200 2.8L II IS • 580 EX]
PW [TT1, TT5] • Giottos [MTL8360B, MH1311-652C]
CaseLogic [Sling Bag] • ThinkTank [Streetwalker Backpack]

OskarPhotography
46 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 26, 2012 20:39 as a reply to  @ OskarPhotography's post |  #8603

love this 50

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

:) *don't forget to kiss your wife :lol:

Canon [5D III • S100 • 8-15 4L Fish Eye • 24 1.4L II • 50 1.2L • 50 1.8 II • 85 1.2L II • 85 1.8 • 100 2.8L Macro • 135 2L • 70-200 2.8L II IS • 580 EX]
PW [TT1, TT5] • Giottos [MTL8360B, MH1311-652C]
CaseLogic [Sling Bag] • ThinkTank [Streetwalker Backpack]

CanonFanBoy
146 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 26, 2012 21:21 |  #8604

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8313339850_e999c91c2c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/canonfanboy/8​313339850/  (external link)
add_8 (external link) by CanonNikonFanboy (external link), on Flickr

Canon Eos 5DIII | Nikon D700 | 70-200 f/2.8l IS II | 100 f/2.8l | 50 f/1.2l

REDDOTT
149 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 08:31 |  #8605

For everyone interested in FoCal. I'm not sure what to think. I ran the test multiple times with different results. I'm not sure if the issue lies with the software or the lens/camera combo. I will try to contact Renkan today to see if they have any suggestions to rerun the tests with better accuracy. Below is a description of the results I obtained. As I suspected, my lens consistently back focused. The first eight tests were run with the default settings. The next three were run the strictest rule for autofocus (more shots and tougher requirements - supposed to be more accurate, but more time consuming) and target optimization. This is described as "image stabilization for the target". The software corrects for small amounts of camera movement that might be introduced by manually selecting the micro adjustment value.

The lens was set up 48" from the target as I see focusing problems at closer ranges. All shots were at f1.2. Lighting was all tungsten - they advise against LED or CFL. The results I obtained running the default settings, in order are:

Test 1 = (-5)
Test 2 = (-4)
Test 3 = (-5)
Test 4 = (-3)
Teat 5 = (-2)
Test 6 = (-3)
Test 7 = (-3)
Test 8 = (-2)

Running the test with the strictest rule for AF and target optimization:

Test 9 = (-4)
Test 10 = (-2)
Test 11 = (-3)

I'm not sure what to think about this and will contact Renkan. It's possible something I'm doing is introducing error. I will tell you that I read all of the documentation (about 125 pages in two docs). I did run into a problem with the software crashing in the beginning. I traced it to using the USB3 port on the computer. The software did not like that and crashed every time. Plugging into the USB2 port solved the issue. My computer has both, this cost me about an hour and a half of frustration. If this post is with anything, this tip alone is worth it.

Overall I'm impressed with the other tests you can run, I'm not trashing this software because I'm not sure other issues are at play here. Besides contacting Renkan, I want to run tests on one of my other lenses to see if the results are more consistent. If they are, I'm going to guess the issue is the lens itself.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of you will find it helpful.

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 27, 2012 09:03 |  #8606

Looks like its back-focusing consistently at least and -3 is probably a decent compromise but yeah looks a bit all over the place.

It's a great bit of software though I found it finicky unless I used controlled conditions to get consistent results. Seems like you've read through the guidelines and printed out the target correctly, stuck it flat with straight on and centered etc.

After doing those things to get consistency I had to light the target evenly and pretty brightly by using the modelling lamp on a strobe up very close - for memory that achieved +10EV. I also used the camera on a decent tripod and even though they are a sturdy set of sticks (Gitzo carbon fiber 3-series), I did not extend any of the legs so as to keep vibrations to a minimum.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

REDDOTT
149 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 10:13 |  #8607

Rai33 wrote in post #15412112 (external link)
Looks like its back-focusing consistently at least and -3 is probably a decent compromise but yeah looks a bit all over the place.

It's a great bit of software though I found it finicky unless I used controlled conditions to get consistent results. Seems like you've read through the guidelines and printed out the target correctly, stuck it flat with straight on and centered etc.

After doing those things to get consistency I had to light the target evenly and pretty brightly by using the modelling lamp on a strobe up very close - for memory that achieved +10EV. I also used the camera on a decent tripod and even though they are a sturdy set of sticks (Gitzo carbon fiber 3-series), I did not extend any of the legs so as to keep vibrations to a minimum.

Like I said, I'm not convinced something I'm doing isn't causing the inconsistent results. I've got the same tripod - I'll probably rerun with the legs not fully extended to see if that makes a difference. Were the results you got consistent or varied? How many times did you run the test? How far did you have the lens from the target?

kbasdeo
600 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 27, 2012 13:01 |  #8608

Very interesting, seems very inconsistent. Please do keep us updated on your further findings.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,071 posts
Gallery: 744 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 27, 2012 15:12 |  #8609

I think you'll be just fine with the results you got in FOCAL... the AF has a margin of error which is considered normal, depending on the type of focus point used. In your case, the "high precision" points of the 5D3 are rated to within 1/3 of the depth of focus (this, according to: http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-Autofocus-Explained.aspx (external link)). Using the DOF calculator:

DOF 50mm f/1.2 at 48" = .13ft, or 1.56 inches
1/3 of 1.56 inches = .51 inches
.51 inches = 12.95mm

That's saying your AF could be off by ~.5 inches either in front or behind by varying degrees (more field of focus in front of target one shot, more behind target the next shot).

Each +/- MFA adjustment is 1mm, if I am not mistaken, so you having a generally tight grouping of results is good! Rest easy, your lens is within tolerance. I'd set the MFA to the average FOCAL result, and go shoot around for a few days. Examine the results, and if you are consistently seeing front or back focus, make a small tweak to your MFA settings.

.:: GAS-Free 'til July 2020 ::. for real this time, I swear

REDDOTT
149 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 16:29 |  #8610

MatthewK wrote in post #15413296 (external link)
I think you'll be just fine with the results you got in FOCAL... the AF has a margin of error which is considered normal, depending on the type of focus point used. In your case, the "high precision" points of the 5D3 are rated to within 1/3 of the depth of focus (this, according to: http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-Autofocus-Explained.aspx (external link)). Using the DOF calculator:

DOF 50mm f/1.2 at 48" = .13ft, or 1.56 inches
1/3 of 1.56 inches = .51 inches
.51 inches = 12.95mm

That's saying your AF could be off by ~.5 inches either in front or behind by varying degrees (more field of focus in front of target one shot, more behind target the next shot).

Each +/- MFA adjustment is 1mm, if I am not mistaken, so you having a generally tight grouping of results is good! Rest easy, your lens is within tolerance. I'd set the MFA to the average FOCAL result, and go shoot around for a few days. Examine the results, and if you are consistently seeing front or back focus, make a small tweak to your MFA settings.

Thanks for the insight - the article has a lot of good information. I agree with you and think the lens is within tolerance - it's got it's own flaws and limitations, but this is what allows it to make some stunning artistic photos. The question in my mind was the inconsistent results with FoCal - was it the software or the lens or something I did? I don't think there is anyone who owns this lens (and read the forum comments) who hasn't questioned if they had a good copy or if they could get better results with MA. It's a lens with a large learning curve - anything that can improve results is what most owners are after, be it MA, technique etc.

Do you use FoCal and if you do, do you get consistent results or varied?

sponsored links

3,444,969 views & 15 likes for this thread
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.