Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2012 (Friday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best possible landscape lens for 5D Mark III

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 26, 2012 19:03 |  #16

troutfisher wrote in post #15393079 (external link)
Canon 24mm TS-E Mk2

Generally this. Sharp, flexible, capable.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,920 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 26, 2012 21:35 |  #17

Another vote for the 24mm TS-E mark 2

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

cowanrg
187 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 26, 2012 22:23 |  #18

everyone always loves to love the TS-E 24mm. I owned it and never cared for it. It was sharp, yes. But it's colors were way too punchy (seemed over-saturated and had no range it seemed) and lacked contrast. Also, the focus was imprecise and hard to get right. Also, it's not a very durable lens. The knobs fall off easily due to a poor design (they just kinda screw in place and adjusting them loosens them. I lost a knob in the first couple of months and it cost $50 to replace. Not a good field lens.

I got the 21mm Zeiss and love it. Much better colors, much better contrast, and you can actually focus with it, unlike the Canon, whose engineers don't understand how to actually make a manual focus lens. Sure, stitching is nice, but it's a PAIN to do since you need to really be on a tripod, manually expose or lock the exposure, and then stitch. Not a big deal, but it takes a lot of time to get right.

There's a lot of love for the TS-E 24mm II, but unless you own one, I'd be hesitant to suggest it so readily. It's sharp, but the rendering isn't all that great, and there's better out there if you're spending that kinda money.

flickr (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 26, 2012 23:45 |  #19

17 or/and 24 TSE lens. The problem is once you buy one, you'd probably save for the other (Which is what I'm doing now).

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 27, 2012 00:10 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15410872 (external link)
Another vote for the 24mm TS-E mark 2

Tom: Your photos are wonderful!

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 27, 2012 00:10 |  #21

Don't forget that the 24mm TS-E has a Mk1 and a Mk2. The Mk2 is sharper but the Mk1 is pleasantly affordable.

I have the 45mm TS-E which should be sharpness equivalent to the Mk1 and it's very good. It also missed CA classes in lens school and can't do it.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2012 06:09 |  #22

Samyang is supposed to come out with a 24mm tilt shift with a rumored pricetag around $700. Normally their manual focus and aperture is a disadvantage compared to the Canon lenses, but with a tilt shift you're normally shooting in that style anyway and stop down metering isn't all that bad.
Could be worth the wait.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

nburwell
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 27, 2012 14:05 |  #23

I really don't think anyone could go wrong with the TSE 24mm Mk II lens.

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 27, 2012 14:30 as a reply to  @ nburwell's post |  #24

Check my signature, all L's except... the one that is better than all Canons, my new UWA for Christmas after doing a lot of research, still a lot of people don't seem to know it ;-)a

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2012 14:31 |  #25

nburwell wrote in post #15413045 (external link)
I really don't think anyone could go wrong with the TSE 24mm Mk II lens.

Quality-wise absolutely not, but budget wise; it'd be a large chunk out of my paycheck. If the samyang ends up around 1/3rd the price with similar image quality, I'd rather spend the other $1400 visiting awesome locations to shoot with it.
I hope we'll see in a few months if it's comparable with their 14mm, 35mm or 85mm rather than their disappointing 24mm f/1.4.
I have their 7.5mm fisheye in my m43 kit and it's also mindblowingly sharp.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 27, 2012 14:33 |  #26

troutfisher wrote in post #15393079 (external link)
Canon 24mm TS-E Mk2

+1 man I love this lens

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2012 14:41 |  #27

I love the Zeiss 21 so that would be my #1 recommendation.

Also do not overlook the Samyang 14mm f2.8 It is crazy sharp and only costs about $300.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 27, 2012 15:15 |  #28

I have have had a very high sucess rate of great shots with the 24 TSE II.
Absolutely a top quality optic with tremendous creative potential. On FF I find the 24 widty to be about right. I have wider (Zeiss 21 and 17 TSE) but use this the most.
Mike K

http://www.fototime.co​m/1538F9F99DA6F9A/xlar​ge.jpg (external link)

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 27, 2012 15:50 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #29

You will also be genuinely amazed at the colour and contrast offered by both the 17 and 24mm TS-E lenses. I am always blown away by the out-of-camera quality.

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 27, 2012 19:02 |  #30

thegfxman wrote in post #15393054 (external link)
I've been digging around and have seen many interesting discussions here on the best landscape lens for full-frame bodies. I've seen much debate around Zeiss 21mm Distagon, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 14mm 2.8 II, and even the Nikon 14-24 with adapter. Some offer flexibility, some offer unrivaled sharpness, some offer auto-focus, some don't...

If you could only choose one for all your landscape needs with highest image quality, which would it be?

Either of the two Zeiss wides (21 or 15 Distagon) would be my preferred choice. I have shot with the 21 for a couple of years now and it's an amazing piece of glass, of all the wides I've had and tested it is the sharpest corner to corner and of course also has the typical Zeiss contrast and colour.

The Zeiss 15 Distagon equally sharp as the 21 except in the extreme corners where it lags slightly behind the 21 in my view, it however opens up a new area of dramatic perspective. It's slowly becoming my favourite of the three.

The Canon 24 mark2 is also very sharp corner to corner, perhaps slightly less than the 21 however it's a very versatile lens given its ability to shift and tilt and I use it primarily for panos and architectural shots where shifting is usually required.

Difficult to choose between the three because each has it own strengths and weaknesses.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

sponsored links

14,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best possible landscape lens for 5D Mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.