Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your favourite places in the US for photography

sarahhj
42 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2012 15:04 |  #31

Moab (Arches, Canyonlands etc) onto Monument Valley and possibly Page, and back up to Ouray for the spectacular San Juan's.

Canon 5D MkII | Samyang 14mm | TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II | 16-35mm f/4L | Zeiss 2/50 | 70-200mm f/4L | Manfrotto | Lee, Hitech & Lucroit Filters | F-Stop Loka | Panasonic LX7

sponsored links
pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2012 16:36 as a reply to  @ sarahhj's post |  #32

One cannot beat the NorthEast
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York.

Coastal images from rocky to sandy, great sunrises.
Mountains
Rivers
City shots
Wide vistas
Tight vistas
Macro
Abstract
People
Journalistic shots
Racing of all types
Decay and dilapidation
Brand new
Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring

...and that is just the start of it

*some of it can even be done in 3 weeks ;)

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

digitaldoug
177 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 15, 2012 09:01 as a reply to  @ post 15302327 |  #33

Favorite spots:

• High country Colorado - RMNP, Crested Butte, Aspen, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride (great mountain scenery and historic mining towns)
  • Sedona - redrock beauty
  • New Mexico - Taos, Santa Fe - Anglo-Indian-Spanish culture, customs, architecture, food - where else can you get all of this
  • Maine coast - a total photo experience you'll never experience elsewhere
  • Southern Utah - redrock country in spades, unique formations rich in photo ops.
These are by no means in any order. Frankly, it's up to the photographer to create the photo and can find interesting subjects if he/she opens up the mind and applies the tools and techniques. If your location does not offer Grand Canyon type splendor, try macro, or architecture, or animals at the zoo...the world is yours...shoot it.

+++++++++++++++
Canon 5DII w/RRS L plate (x2), Canon 7D w/Kirk L plate, Canon 6D w/RRS L plate, Canon 50D w/Markin L plate, Zeiss 21 ZE, Zeiss 35/2, Canon 16-35 f4L, Canon 24-70 II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 400L f5.6, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Canon 70-200 f2.8 mkII, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 28 IS, Canon 100L, Canon 85 f1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EX, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Markin M10, Gitzo 3541LS, Manfrotto 055XPROB - toys, got to love em.

Anzxio
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 15, 2012 15:52 |  #34

I am looking for big landscapes, so wherever I go has to have as much of that as possible :). Maine is an interesting one that I haven't considered before. Is it good in may?

SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2012 17:10 |  #35

I don't get out much, but when I do, a plane spotting session at the nearest major airport is fun. I especially like LAX and watching the heavies.

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 19, 2012 04:59 |  #36

I don't know if there's 3 weeks in it, but the central valley of California will, rain allowing, have fantastic wildflowers during that time period. Grand vistas of grasslands, mountains, flowers, sky.
http://*******/maps/Da​2OR will keep you busy for 3~4 days...

(WTF? I have no idea why my link was nuked. Try this...)
http // goo . gl / maps / Da2OR

(I know the flowers continue further north, but am not so sure of the best locations.)

As mentioned, it's unlikely you've done more than scratch the surface of Grand Staircase Escalante Nat. Monument. A week there is easy...

How about the mountain ranges of Nevada? I bet you haven't done that yet! Plenty of surprisingly pretty subject material to choose from.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 19, 2012 11:42 as a reply to  @ Geonerd's post |  #37

I am biased towards the Blue Ridge Mountains due to being from North Carolina, but if you want big vistas / landscapes
Sedona or Tuscon Arizona
or
SpearFish South Dakota:
- Badlands
- Blackhills
- Spearfish Valley
- stones throw to Devils Tower in Wyoming

I still have a long list of prices to visit, myself...

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

sidg
313 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 19, 2012 11:59 as a reply to  @ V4her's post |  #38

For three or four weeks you have an opportunity to cover some ground. Keeping in mind that you want to possibly do the Indy 500 here are some thoughts.
Fly into Chicago and go west:
Bad Lands
Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
Sun Valley (go south from there to Salt Lake City and Moab area) or
Snake River Valley on to the Columbia Gorge and the Oregon Coast
South along the coast to San Francisco
Yosemite
West to Moab (Arches, etc.)
South to Monument Valley / Paige (slot canyons etc.)
East through Southern Colorado (Great Sand Dunes NP)
North to Denver
East to Indy
Back to Chicago

Of course you could flip it the other way around as well.
One way or another have a great trip! I've done variations of it a couple of different times and always had more that I want to go back for.

Anzxio
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 19, 2012 16:26 |  #39

sidg wrote in post #15385763 (external link)
For three or four weeks you have an opportunity to cover some ground. Keeping in mind that you want to possibly do the Indy 500 here are some thoughts.
Fly into Chicago and go west:
Bad Lands
Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
Sun Valley (go south from there to Salt Lake City and Moab area) or
Snake River Valley on to the Columbia Gorge and the Oregon Coast
South along the coast to San Francisco
Yosemite
West to Moab (Arches, etc.)
South to Monument Valley / Paige (slot canyons etc.)
East through Southern Colorado (Great Sand Dunes NP)
North to Denver
East to Indy
Back to Chicago

Of course you could flip it the other way around as well.
One way or another have a great trip! I've done variations of it a couple of different times and always had more that I want to go back for.

I have been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Yosemite already.

I do have a strong desire to make this a coast to coast trip, but worry that will make it way too rushed! There are also big chunks that i would have to drive through quickly (eg. Chicago to Badlands is a big bit of nothing at the moment...! Car rental also seems really expensive. Coast to coast seems to make it sound more interesting though.

sidg
313 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2012 11:54 as a reply to  @ Anzxio's post |  #40

If you go Atlantic to Pacific (or the other way around) you cover a lot of territory and you can find great vistas anywhere along the way with enough imagination. But you are going to end up hurrying through some of the country to get to the "better parts". So how about a north to south or south to north trip.
Start in San Diego and take Highway 1 north to the Olympic Peninsula take the ferry over to Vancouver Island before flying out of Vancouver or Seattle?
A good three week trip with all the opportunities to go inland a ways and then come back to the coast.
Or fly into Halifax, Nova Scotia and drive to Key West, Florida?

Either coast is going to be a bit of drive but do able without having to rush it.
Not sure about the time of year but driving the Alaska Highway is an adventure that is well worth the time and will fill up your hard drives very fast.

Anzxio
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 20, 2012 12:14 |  #41

Alaska does really appeal, but i would have thought i would need to do it much later in the year? (that is possible). I will be on my own though, so Alaska may well be a little too quiet.

I have been to Vancouver and Vancouver Island already, though Seattle appeals. I have also done LA to SF several times.

Just to recap, these are the places i have been to in north America:
- Canada: Toronto, Niagara Falls, Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Whistler
- USA parks: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Capital Reef, Grand Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Devils Postpile, Yosemite, Grand Canyon
- USA cities: NYC, Boston, SF, LV, LA, SLC
- USA other: Pacific coast highway (SF > LA)

The problem with coast to coast (as far as i see it), is the big empty bit in the middle! Coast to coast just feels like it would be more of an adventure though. I will have a think about east/west coast options :)

Thanks for all the help.

sidg
313 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2012 06:47 as a reply to  @ Anzxio's post |  #42

If you have done the LA to San F. route think about focusing upon the Northwest. Depending upon prices on airfares fly into SF, Portland, or Seattle and do a big loop.
For instance from SF:
West to Lassen NP (not as well known but some amazing scenic possibilities)
Around Mt. Shasta area then north to Lava Bed NM
Spend some time at and around Crater Lake NP before continuing north
There are some fantastic waterfall opportunities between CL and Mt. Hood
On the Columbia River there are more waterfalls going west before you head east and north toward Spokan and Couer d'Alane. This area is going to have great sweeping vistas of wheat fields, etc.
Moving east into Montana there are places like the National Bison Refuge to see before going into Glacier NP and Waterton NP in Canada.
From there work your way north to Calgary and time it with the Calgary stampede. (Think the Indy 500 with horses and chuckwagons)
Back to Banff and Jasper NP in Canada
From there head south toward Seattle, Olympic NP, and stay close to the coast back to SF.
That is a packed 3 weeks but do able if you make choices about how long you stay in one place.

Anzxio
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2012 05:45 |  #43

This is my first go at a route:

- San Clements (x2) - Nike Lowers Pro (maybe... if its on)
- Phoenix/Las Vegas (x1) - Quick stop to break up driving (possibly do the Nascar experience if Vegas)
- Grand Canyon (x2)
- Page (x2) - Antelope Canyon, the Wave (hopefully!), etc...
- Monument Valley (x1)
- Moab (x3) - Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, etc...
- Denver (x3) - This is not likely to actually be Denver, but parts of CO
- Badlands (x2)
- Sioux Falls (x1) - Quick stop to break up driving
- Chicago (x3)
- Indianapolis (x2) - Indy 500
- Pittsburgh (x1) - ? Quick stop to break up driving
- NYC (x3) ?
- (x2) ?

After Indianapolis i have 6 nights to get to the coast. This is the bit i'm most unsure on. Does anyone have any thoughts? Ideally less city based, and more outdoorsy, but this doesn't seem so easy on the east coast.

Also, i'm somewhat unsure of going in May. The primary reason for May is the Indy 500. I'd also rather go east > west, not west > east, but it may have to be this way as i have other commitments in early June. South Dakota (Badlands) looks like it could either be really good, or a washout with tornados!

I want to put together a more northern route also (in case i can go later in the year). Sidg seems to have the ideas for that covered :) Thanks :)

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 27, 2012 09:24 |  #44

My favorites:

1) Grand Teton National Park
2) Yosemite National Park
3) Bryce Canyon National Park
4) Sedona Arizona
5) Gettysburg National Military Park- Gettsyburg Pennsylvania
6) Chautauqua Institution - Chautauqua New York (+ Chautauqua lake)
7) Mill Run Pennsylvania - Fallingwater Frank Lloyd Wright House

CameraTester
39 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 03, 2013 09:17 |  #45

I wish I could get out to more states, but anyone in Richmond VA, there is the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Maymont Park, Metro Richmond Zoo and the James River.

sponsored links

10,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your favourite places in the US for photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.