Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 May 2006 (Tuesday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GPS?

msad1217
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 23, 2006 11:30 |  #1

A question to those who loves to go hiking. Do you have a handheld GPS?

I am looking at buying the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and have a few question. Is this GPS capable of detailed in car navigation? Can you punch in an address and you can get a turn by turn direction? Or is this strictly topo GPS only? Would I be better off buying a separate in car GPS, or will this handheld GPS be more than capable?

Thanks in advance.

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

sponsored links
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 23, 2006 11:48 |  #2

Two things taken from Garmin's site:

"Multi-platform navigation for easy navigation in a car, in a boat, or on foot"

"Detailed basemap with general map data, including highways, major roads, river, lakes, and borders"

Looks like it'll do just fine in a car.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

dewmuw
Cream of the Crop
6,024 posts
Joined Jul 2002

May 23, 2006 11:51 |  #3

I've done some work monitoring rare bird nest and the GPs is a god-send - save the location of the nest (when you find it) and you can go back to the same spot over and over again with the GPS guide!

However I also do a lot of walking in the hills and have found that people are using GPS to replace traditional map and compass - which is a bit dangerous if you ask me. Use it as a support and you'll be OK.

Damian Waters
www.drumimages.co.uk (external link)

Loki1117
145 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 23, 2006 11:55 |  #4

Have you looked on the Garmin website for detailed product info? My Garmin (3 years old) is basically for hand held use. some though have a capability to have an external receiver attached to them for more reliable use in a car or more sensitive receiver for use through the car's shell. Mine needs to be near a window to have access to satellites. The one you have noted looks like it will do some road routing, but a lot of it just depends on what type of maps you have loaded onto the device. I have a set of topo maps (as opposed to road maps) for the entire U.S. on top of the map data provided by Garmin (basic highways and main city roads).

Jeff :cool:

20D
Elan IIe

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and
nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 23, 2006 11:59 |  #5

Thanks for the quick replies. One thing I found is that in order to have a more detailed map, I have to shell out another $140 on top of the $400 that I will pay for this. I might need to look at the cheaper version. I just found the reviews it received at amazon.com. I found that to be very informative.

I will be using the GPS to find my way around the mountain ranges here in Washington State. I will still be bringing my good old fashion $5 maps but thought it's about time to get a GPS receiver.

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 23, 2006 13:04 |  #6

I have the GPSMAP 60CS and it can be used as a handheld and in car with a variety of mounts. It is capable of doing turn by turn directions however you don't enter an address to navigate to but rather a waypoint with coordinates. If you have the address you can look up the coordinates on a number of websites (mapquest offers this I believe) and then enter the coordinate into the GPS, either via computer link & Garmin's Mapsource software or directly into the unit.

You can get a number of street maps as well as topo, park & special interest maps, but the 60CS does not function like a Street Pilot with address look-up. I use my 60CS for geocaching, 4 wheel offroading, street navigation (I look up & enter waypoint before I leave) and general navigation if I'm not sure exactly where I am (it's different to actually being lost;)).

I'd suggest you find a knowledgeable GPS retailer and get some direction from them. The capabilities are constantly changing and good retailers (the GPS geek retailers) stay up on the changes and can analyze what features you need & which units fit the need.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 23, 2006 13:43 |  #7

Thanks for that Lindsey.

What you mentioned about on street navigation is what I was wondering about. I would prefer to be able to specify an address like the Street Pilot. But, I will have more use with the 60CS, so I will purchase that. I will try your trick in finding an address with coordinates and see if that works.

Thanks again for the tip.

-Manny
My Gear List

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 23, 2006 14:11 |  #8

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold that I have been using for over a couple of years now. I have a mount on my bicycle and I use it to navigate the city and plot out routes, etc. I also use it for geocaching - it's kind of like the sport of orienteering but instead of control points you find caches hidden by other geocachers. To learn more about the sport, go to geocaching.com (external link).

I also use this handheld unit when I drive around, although it is nowhere as convenient as a dedicated car based GPS receiver.

I would urge you to look at Magellan's products too if you would like more choices. At any rate, Magellan or Garmin. you won't go wrong with either.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

KirkM
373 posts
Joined Mar 2004

May 23, 2006 14:12 as a reply to  @ msad1217's post |  #9

I got the GPSMap 76C because of the additional memory for maps, routes, etc. (128mb vs 56mb on 60CS). If you can live without the electronic compass and barometric altimeter, you can get the 60C for about $50 less.

Another good source for obtaining coordinates with address input: GeoCode (external link)

Kirk

7D | 10D | 50 f1.4 (broken) | 17-40 f4.0 | 70-200 f2.8 | 300 F4.0 | 1.4x II | EF 25 II | 550 EX | 27" iMac i7

netadmin22
80 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 23, 2006 16:54 as a reply to  @ KirkM's post |  #10

I use the Garmin 76CS for both handheld and in-car navigation. IMO it is excellent for both applications. The major drawback for in car use is that is doesn't talk. That means that it should be mounted where it is easily visible.

For handheld use you download national park topographic maps. For auto use you download street maps for the states or areas in which you will be travelling.

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,342 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

May 23, 2006 19:06 as a reply to  @ netadmin22's post |  #11

I had used various handheld GPSs for a number of years. Currently I am using a Lawrence iFinder H20C. The base map that comes with many units is OK for general usage but if you want the high detail maps, then you will have to purchase them either preloaded on SD cards or as a map package that contains hi-res maps on CD's that you can dowload into your handheld. Just about all units can be run in a car using a lighter adaptor. However, depending upon the units antenna, reception might be a little weak. Color screen units will eat batteries a lot faster than monocrome screens.
However, i never depend solely on my GPS. I always have a real paper map stashed close by.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 24, 2006 14:19 |  #12

I don't know if it's interesting for you, but I use my pocket pc (hp hx4700) for this and I use cheap bluetooth gps receiver connected to ppc. After that it's just a matter of programs running on ppc, and yes voice navigation (or turn-by-turn navigation) works nice. But this is in Europe and I never tried it in USA. To be honest, maps are a bit too expensive to buy them for once a year use :)

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

howler
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 24, 2006 14:37 |  #13

I have a 60cs and find it difficult to see the map when driving at speed. Also the barometric feature seems only generally accurate. But it's fun and great for fitting in your pocket.

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

May 25, 2006 00:29 |  #14

Trimble GeoXH. Forget finding your way back to the car, this lil puppy will get you back to the car door handle. OK, its my work one, but for something that small being able to get sub-foot accuracy is pretty amazing.

Personally I own a Garmin Vista and its been very useful. Often used it for navigation when I have a co-driver (basically anyone else in the car) as its too small otherwise.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 25, 2006 11:21 |  #15

Thanks for the tip guys. I will look into the ones that you use and recommend.

-Manny
My Gear List

sponsored links

3,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
GPS?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.