Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jul 2012 (Friday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Single Speed-Light (hotshoe flash): Creative examples...

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,243 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 21, 2012 06:20 |  #361

yudi13 wrote in post #15392206 (external link)
I don't remember where I got the picture style, but you can try googling it, the file name is RVP-100F(Neutral).pf2
A quick googling, brings me this address http://www.edgeinterio​r.com/ps/ (external link) with some picture style including the RVP Neutral, I tried to download the file and the downloaded file is the same to the file that I have
I hope it is not against the forum rules to post this link, otherwise I'll remove it

Thanks. And linking is good. :)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,069 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 21, 2012 09:27 |  #362

I don't remember where I got the picture style, but you can try googling it, the file name is RVP-100F(Neutral).pf2
A quick googling, brings me this address http://www.edgeinterio​r.com/ps/ (external link) with some picture style including the RVP Neutral, I tried to download the file and the downloaded file is the same to the file that I have
I hope it is not against the forum rules to post this link, otherwise I'll remove it

The question the link does raise is copyright infringement.

These picture styles appear to be the intellectual property of Edge.

Downloading them from their server without permission and using them is potentially a violation. Of course it can also be argued that by having them on an unsecured area of their server implies public domain right to use.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

gratchie
957 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2012 11:16 |  #363

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8290883299_ba5e29bf3e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gratchie/829088​3299/  (external link)
savvy 4 (external link) by rgracie (external link), on Flickr

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

similae
254 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 26, 2012 16:06 |  #364

Not sure how creative this is.. :)

I was happy with the results. Not too much time to set up, but I got the balancing of the flash / ambient I wanted! You can't say that happens too often.. ;)

Natural light from the windows camera right, Nissin Di622 mkII on top of camera bounced to wall camera left.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8311373247_9f38e2c60e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/mikkosimila/8​311373247/  (external link)
Family portrait (external link) by msimila (external link), on Flickr

Mikko
6D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 200mm f/2.8 L II, Nissin Di622 Mark II
Flickr (external link)

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 26, 2012 18:08 |  #365

IMAGE: http://www.foton-foto.com/Other/ForumUploads/i-5c3qn7p/0/XL/ellpotatohead-XL.jpg

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 27, 2012 10:27 |  #366

similae wrote in post #15409838 (external link)
Not sure how creative this is.. :)

I was happy with the results. Not too much time to set up, but I got the balancing of the flash / ambient I wanted! You can't say that happens too often.. ;)

Natural light from the windows camera right, Nissin Di622 mkII on top of camera bounced to wall camera left.

Family portrait (external link) by msimila (external link), on Flickr

You have good balance with the ambient, but instead of bouncing left it would have been nice if you had directed a little light back toward the subjects to avoid the dark eye sockets that they have here. A bounce card will redirect a small portion of the light forward to give them a bit of twinkle in the eye.

Youngback
135 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 27, 2012 11:53 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #367

Some fantastic shots on here that I never would have thought possible with only one light!

Self portrait. Zero ambient light. Camera mounted 580EXII facing left and reflected off a large white curtain. Black background is a shaded, OOF 40" flat screen TV. 100mm 2.8L IS. Tricky part was getting my face in the right place in the dark.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8314305299_f25bdbb685_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/aaroncawsey/8​314305299/  (external link)
Self portrait (external link) by Youngback (external link), on Flickr

My Gear List

sil40sx
896 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 27, 2012 11:55 |  #368

I tried:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8308324765_50a14d3d9f_b.jpg

5oopx (external link)

t4turbo
171 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 27, 2012 14:05 as a reply to  @ sil40sx's post |  #369

Single yongnuo yn460ii and a cheap umbrella, yongnuo triggers

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D 7D 50D Sigma 50 17-40L 70-200 2.8L 28-135 EOS M 22mm + 18-55
My Site -> www.jorellegatesphotog​raphy.com (external link)
My Facebook page -https://www.facebook.c​om/JorelleGatesPhotogr​aphy (external link)

similae
254 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 27, 2012 14:39 |  #370

gonzogolf wrote in post #15412334 (external link)
You have good balance with the ambient, but instead of bouncing left it would have been nice if you had directed a little light back toward the subjects to avoid the dark eye sockets that they have here. A bounce card will redirect a small portion of the light forward to give them a bit of twinkle in the eye.

Thank you for the tip!
Background first: I have taken approx 34k pics within the ~2 years I've had my DSLR. first 550D, now 7D. 99% of the pictures are without flash, and I'm just starting to get a feel of the process of taking pics without flash. Now I have started practicing my flash skills and I keep crawling back to basic photography without flash.. It is so frustrating to start from zero again! :) So every tip is welcome! :)

About the bounce card: I didn't have (don't own any..) external bounce cards, the only one is the one integrated to the flash unit. The camera was landscape, flash mounted on top, flash head turned 45 of 60 degree left. If I would have pulled the card out, it would have only bounced a little bit more to ground camera left. It comes from the top part of the flash head. I cannot figure how I could have used it in that position. Or do you mean I should have had bounced main flash up (to ceiling) + flipped the card(which would have bounced to front then)?

I have not tried to use that bounce card a lot. It seems every time I try to use it I get too "white" pics: both over bright and WB is too cold. There might be several reasons for this: Nissin is not smart enough, 7D is bad, moon position was not good, subject was misbehaving or lastly the least possible reason: I just don't know how to use flash.. I wonder which is the correct reason? Must be something wrong with the gear.

Mikko
Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 27, 2012 14:48 |  #371

similae wrote in post #15413201 (external link)
Thank you for the tip!
Background first: I have taken approx 34k pics within the ~2 years I've had my DSLR. first 550D, now 7D. 99% of the pictures are without flash, and I'm just starting to get a feel of the process of taking pics without flash. Now I have started practicing my flash skills and I keep crawling back to basic photography without flash.. It is so frustrating to start from zero again! :) So every tip is welcome! :)

About the bounce card: I didn't have (don't own any..) external bounce cards, the only one is the one integrated to the flash unit. The camera was landscape, flash mounted on top, flash head turned 45 of 60 degree left. If I would have pulled the card out, it would have only bounced a little bit more to ground camera left. It comes from the top part of the flash head. I cannot figure how I could have used it in that position. Or do you mean I should have had bounced main flash up (to ceiling) + flipped the card(which would have bounced to front then)?

I have not tried to use that bounce card a lot. It seems every time I try to use it I get too "white" pics: both over bright and WB is too cold. There might be several reasons for this: Nissin is not smart enough, 7D is bad, moon position was not good, subject was misbehaving or lastly the least possible reason: I just don't know how to use flash.. I wonder which is the correct reason? Must be something wrong with the gear.

The white card in the flash might have been enough. If not almost any larger white surface would have reflected a bit of light forward. If you google DIY bounce card you will find lots of options, including one where you can print a template to cut out of stock card or craft foam.

As for the issues of too white, and too bright. Using flash exposure compensation will help with that to some degree, also using shutter speed/ISO to achieve a balanced look will help with the brightness as well. As for color a simple set of gels (search here for rosco gels) will correct that.

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 27, 2012 17:50 |  #372

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8316416266_746eec7c16_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/59191886@N04/8​316416266/  (external link)
Christmas "We've Moved" photo (external link) by MCG Photo (external link), on Flickr

This was shot with YN560 in a 36" octo camera right.

This was a Christmas/We've moved photo for a photocard.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

hyogen
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 01:16 |  #373

are any of these other picture styles worth having on the camera? :) thanks

justinleewedding.com (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Nikon D750x2, D610 / 20mm 2.8 / 24mm 1.4 / 35mm 1.4 / 45mm 2.8 PC-E / 50mm 1.8 / 58mm 1.4 / 55mm 2.8 micro / 85mm 1.8 / 70-200mm 2.8
50% off sample albums for photographers (external link)

yudi13
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 06:07 |  #374

hyogen wrote in post #15415276 (external link)
are any of these other picture styles worth having on the camera? :) thanks

Just try and see it for yourself, for me the RVP Neutral is used in over 90% of my JPG, I like the color it produce, if I'm not mistaken it was designed to replicate colors produced by fujifilm fujichrome velvia hence the name

similae
254 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 28, 2012 08:06 |  #375

gonzogolf wrote in post #15413229 (external link)
The white card in the flash might have been enough. If not almost any larger white surface would have reflected a bit of light forward. If you google DIY bounce card you will find lots of options, including one where you can print a template to cut out of stock card or craft foam.

I still don't understand how it could work. It would direct the light into wrong direction, but I can test it! Wouldn't be the first time I have thought something wrong.

Yes, I have read a lot about DIY things. Too bad I started too late: I had already bought the Gary Fong Lightsphere before I found out I could have done the same thing a lot cheaper. Must do a simple bounce card I could turn from side to side.

gonzogolf wrote in post #15413229 (external link)
As for the issues of too white, and too bright. Using flash exposure compensation will help with that to some degree, also using shutter speed/ISO to achieve a balanced look will help with the brightness as well. As for color a simple set of gels (search here for rosco gels) will correct that.

Yes, I use FEC and I try to do my best to balance with ambient. Mostly I find the flash working nicest when I bounce to ceiling and back from camera. If I turn it to front the flash comes too obvious in the pictures. Probably I should dial down the FEC even more in those situations. Have to practice more.

I have also thought getting some simple set of gels, I think some yellow would be the most useful. It would help with the mixed colors when using flash outdoors in sunlight, i guess. I'll check the "rosco gels" you mention.

Here's 3 samples of pictures I like. All from same family gathering. All shot in manual, f/4, 1/160, ISO 400, FEC +1/3 if I remember correctly. They are all bounced up and little back from camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Flash sample 1 (external link) by msimila (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Flash sample 2 (external link) by msimila (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flash sample 3 (external link) by msimila (external link), on Flickr

Mikko
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

750,346 views & 678 likes for this thread
Single Speed-Light (hotshoe flash): Creative examples...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.