Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jul 2005 (Wednesday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What makes a fast lens a fast lens?

Candi ­ lynn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 14, 2005 14:41 |  #16

le

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 14, 2005 14:42 as a reply to  @ Candi lynn's post |  #17

Candi lynn wrote:
le

Ah, you speak French .... :lol: :lol:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 14, 2005 14:56 |  #18

a fast lens is one that goes home with you on the first date.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 14, 2005 15:29 |  #19

As mentioned.. "fast" refers to the shutter speeds the lens allows due to the lens having a larger aperture.

In many cases indeed faster or larger apertures may not be required or desired..

But the opposite is certainly true as well,. it all depends on your shooting style.. and it takes more glass and more money to get that larger faster aperture.

As it is simply a matter of physics and economics that a "fast" lens in certain focal lengths will require it to be expensive.. usually one can in fact equate fast and expensive lenses with lenses of higher quality.

As for trying to put a given f/stop # as a indication of whether a lens is "fast" or not.. it can't be done.

As just like the f/stop # in general.. what constitutes a fast f/stop and what does not is completely dependant on/and relative to the focal length.

f/2.8 is NOT that fast for a 50mm... nor is that large of an opening...

But f/4 is EXTREMELY fast for a 600m... and it's a much larger opening.

:)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 14, 2005 17:19 |  #20

get some duct tape and a Ferrari. Attach lens to car, accelerate. Very fast.

CDS makes an excellent point, fast really depends on focal length. However, as lenses get wider it can also matter a bit less whether or not the lens is fast as the wide lens lets you use slower shutter speeds anyway. If you want to keep that shiny new 600mm steady you need every ounce of light possible. If you are using a 20mm you can get away with a lot more.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

CorruptedPhotographer
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 15, 2005 03:45 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #21

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
f/2.8 is NOT that fast for a 50mm... nor is that large of an opening...

But f/4 is EXTREMELY fast for a 600m... and it's a much larger opening.

:)

is it not :

50mm / f2.8 = 17.85

600mm / f4 = 150

Where 17.85 and 150 refer to the size of the opening @ those apertures and speeds?

If true, then the 150 is 8 times (150/17.85) more open or wider than the 17.85.

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

Devil
70 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 15, 2005 17:41 |  #22

I've never used an addon lens to an SLR before so just wanted to have something clarified.

In cases like the 50mm 1.8 or the 75-300mm f4.5, does this mean that I cannot choose to take photos in 50mm f8/f32 or 300mm at f2.8/f32 etc ? Does this mean that if I place one of these lenses on the DSLR it'll override and limit the available modes on the camera ?

Am I correct in assuming this ?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 15, 2005 19:03 as a reply to  @ Devil's post |  #23

Devil wrote:
In cases like the 50mm 1.8 or the 75-300mm f4.5, does this mean that I cannot choose to take photos in 50mm f8/f32 or 300mm at f2.8/f32 etc ? Does this mean that if I place one of these lenses on the DSLR it'll override and limit the available modes on the camera ?

When a lens is advertised as, for example, 50mm f1.4, the only thing that tells you is that the maximum aperture (minimum f-stop number) for that lens if f1.4. Almost all SLR lenses can be "stopped down" to smaller aperture settings - some manually, and some automatically. Typically, lenses can be stopped down to f16, f22, and sometimes more. You have to look at the more complete specs for any particular lens, not just its "name".

Hope this helps decode the info for you....

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JulianL
215 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 15, 2005 19:19 as a reply to  @ post 653800 |  #24

ayotnoms wrote:
Huh?
The FD mount lens that came with my Canon-AE1 25 years ago was an F/1.8

I'm fairly certain that fast lenses in the sub-f/2.8 range have been around for long time and f/4 was as slow then as it is now--for some circumstances, of course.

discuss amongst yourselves.... :-D :-D

Yep, I have a Rollei 50mm f/1.8 lens that is probably close to 30 years old.

Canon 30D w/BGE2
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 580EX Speedlight

stuntman
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2009

May 09, 2011 13:36 |  #25

the bigger the hole, the faster the lens -

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

May 09, 2011 13:51 |  #26

JulianL wrote in post #658253 (external link)
Yep, I have a Rollei 50mm f/1.8 lens that is probably close to 30 years old.

I had a Rokkor 58mm 1.2 lens in the mid 70's, and I'm sure it's not the earliest or fastest of it's time.
A fast lens has simply a larger lens opening.
The camera focuses and meters with the lens wide open, thus a larger lens opening should allow faster focus in the auto focus cameras. I will say that a "Faster" lens was much easier to manual focus, consequently, it was faster.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

wrxrocks
410 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 09, 2011 14:41 |  #27

Don't learn about fast L lenses. They will cost a lot of $$$$. On a serious notes, fast referes to the speed of the shutter. Any lens will be slow if used in a dark room without flash. Similarly, any lens will be fast if used outside in the middle of a sunny day.

50D with ef 16-35ii, ef 24-105L f4 IS, my new lover 70-200L f2.8 IS ii, 35L f1.4, EF 85L F1.2 mark ii, 400L F5.6

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 09, 2011 15:14 |  #28

stuntman wrote in post #12376767 (external link)
the bigger the hole, the faster the lens -

Do you realize that you just reopened a thread that died nearly six years ago? I have not seen most of the forum members who had posted in this thread in MANY moons. Thus, your answer will essentially go on deaf ears. :rolleyes:

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,970 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 27, 2012 19:48 |  #29

SkipD wrote in post #12377504 (external link)
Do you realize that you just reopened a thread that died nearly six years ago? I have not seen most of the forum members who had posted in this thread in MANY moons. Thus, your answer will essentially go on deaf ears. :rolleyes:

Noooo . . . The thread was linked at the bottom of the page where I had asked the same question. I read it.

EDIT: Hey, is SkipD still around?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

AmosTFairchild
63 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 27, 2012 20:34 |  #30

Mmmm. Zombie thread. Just keeps on walkin.

sponsored links

27,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
What makes a fast lens a fast lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.