Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible Scam?

sarahashleyphotos
254 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 27, 2012 16:06 |  #1

I received a odd package today when I got to the studio. It was a large package only containing a check that did not have any hand writing on it. It was all printed. The name on the check and the name on the return address do not match. I do not recognize either name as any of my clients or potential clients. Its for a amount that I don't even have any packages that could add up to. Fresno County Federal Credit Union is printed at the top. It all screams scam to me. I was wondering if any of you have delt with a smiler scam.

Canon 5D | Canon 40D | Canon 7D
10-22mm, 50mm f/1.4, 10-22mm, 75-300mm
sarahashleyphotos.com (external link)

sponsored links
TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 27, 2012 18:46 |  #2

Did the "client" have their phone number on the check? Maybe look up the address for a phone number, or you could contact the Credit Union tell them you have a check from that person without knowing what for and ask them to contact the client so that they can get in touch with you (a stretch, but if they have good customer service I think they will do it).

The addresses being different could be for a number of reasons, so it could all just be coincidental...But it is weird that they would send you a check without talking to you first. I'm curious as to how this will turn out

Christian
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Member, Full Disc Aviation (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)Aviation Instagram (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 27, 2012 20:52 as a reply to  @ TheBigDog's post |  #3

Let me google that for you...
http://lmgtfy.com …Federal+Credit+​Union+scam (external link)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sarahashleyphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 28, 2012 09:06 |  #4

Ah I missed the one article about the scam when I had goggled it before. Anyway my question was if anyone else had run into this scam so Old Coot you really are not answering my question at all. I'm interested in why it exists in the first place. I don't see how the scammer would get anything out of doing this?

Canon 5D | Canon 40D | Canon 7D
10-22mm, 50mm f/1.4, 10-22mm, 75-300mm
sarahashleyphotos.com (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 28, 2012 09:32 as a reply to  @ sarahashleyphotos's post |  #5

I failed reading comprehension as a child. Yes, a lot of us that have sold stuff on the internet have had people try the 411 scam. Usually, you will be contacted again by someone wanting their money and ask you to cash the check and send it to them. Anyway, I saw your subject line "Possible Scam?" and gave you the information directly from the credit union in question that pointed it out as a scam. I figured that it did not need to go any further. But since you are curious, just go cash the check and let us know how that works out so that we will have some in depth, second hand knowledge.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,620 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 12:09 |  #6

sarahashleyphotos wrote in post #15416047 (external link)
Old Coot you really are not answering my question at all. I'm interested in why it exists in the first place. I don't see how the scammer would get anything out of doing this?

Old Coot is having you on. There are variants of this scam. In all of them, the scammer sends the mark (= the potential fraud victim) a worthless check and asks for real money in return, maybe in cash or maybe as a wire transfer. The real money comes out of the mark's bank account.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2013 18:44 |  #7

when they come looking for it, tell them it's at the police station.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

WolfProperties
510 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 02, 2013 19:08 |  #8

I am a fraud investigator at a large national bank for my full time day job. We are gettin hit hard with these scams, sometimes we see 40-50 per day. Its amazing how people fall for the obvious. No, your girlfriend you just met online DOES NOT LOVE YOU and which you have never met is sending you $2000-5000 and asking for you to send it back via Western Union.

Keep in mind that these checks largely come from compromised business accounts which can take many months to return as lost/stolen/forged. If it were desposited it may be quite a while before it charges back, potentially leaving you in the negative and you are the one held responsible.

Criminals are slick and pretty smart. All day long I deal with these dating scams, the "you won the lotto" scams, inheritance from someone you didnt know existed scams, and the ever popular Craigslist scam. We have to build a case large enough for law enforcement to accept, which is typically $75k-100k for secret service and FBI, but the difficult thing is that these people have been traced back to West Africa which makes it a nasty international matter. Yuck

Sorry for rambling on, but this is a subject I can finally contribute something useful to :)

5D3-24-105 f/4.0L-70-200mm f/2.8L II-85mm 1.8-50mm 1.4-430EXII- 580EXII-600EX-RT--Einsteins

sponsored links

1,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible Scam?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.