Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone offering iPads instead of albums?

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,468 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2012 11:51 |  #16

I've sold a quite a few packages that included an iPad with their edited pictures...
on roughly 1/3 of them, I've been contacted for support issues not related to the pictures... a bit of a pain...
on a few of them, they received their iPad (original iPad) and then Apple announced a new iPad model, and they wanted to be upgraded at no cost...
I stopped advertising that as an option... but I do have people asking for it from time to time, and I let them know it is possible, and that I would prefer they make the purchase and let me load up the pictures for them... sold an iPad 3 not so long ago, and within days, iPad 4 was announced (and I was totally not expecting that - the mini sure, but not a new fullsize one!)... and of course, I was immediately hit with "what can you do" emails on it....

no more iPad packages from me...

that aside, I absolutely love my iPad...

5D4 / EOS R / 7D2 I BADLY WANT A 1D X
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x/2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X2, 430EX-III X4

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,562 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 21, 2012 12:15 |  #17

Terrible idea.

An album is meant as a keepsake... an archival piece to help you remember your wedding.

An iPad gets in the way of the entire purpose of an album.

Sure, it might be cool now, but can you imagine in 20 years when they want to look at their "album"? First of all, the flash memory will probably have bitrotted by then, so all their photos will be corrupt anyhow. Secondly, they'd have to charge the iPad for a while before they can even look at their photos. I'm sure the battery will be toast by then and wouldn't be surprised if they get a message that they battery is bad and cannot turn the device on, please go to your nearest genius bar.

Yeah, I can't see one compelling reason to deliver iPads, aside from the fact that the Surface is a much cooler looking device. ;)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 21, 2012 17:31 |  #18

^ Totally agree... The album is a family heirloom.. The tablet will be outdated technology in a matter of time. Not to mention a LOT of people have tablets already.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 21, 2012 19:58 |  #19

I think that is a better idea in theory than in practice because of it isn't really archival for the reasons Lloyd outlined. I have a mini iPad, that I bought on impulse and don't like looking at images on it because they look so much better on the retinal display of my larger ipads. If I remember correctly, the base model for wifi only is $329. Perhaps for the very highest of high end customers, and only then positioned as a short term show off gadget, while their large, hard copy albums serve the main purpose.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

PhotoMatte
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,695 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 23, 2012 18:44 |  #20

Good thing I didn't put a poll up about this :oops:
Again, I should've titled the post 'Anyone offering iPads in addition to albums?'

But that's the beauty of POTN...look at all the headaches I've saved.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 23, 2012 19:07 |  #21

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15401174 (external link)
Good thing I didn't put a poll up about this :oops:
Again, I should've titled the post 'Anyone offering iPads in addition to albums?'

But that's the beauty of POTN...look at all the headaches I've saved.

Hold on, you may be on to a marketing gimmick
You could offer, for free, to load the album "professionally" on to their existing ipad.
The equity here is its free, and most iPad owners love them, but can't figure how to load anything, not already on the internet.

Isnt it worth another 10 minutes of your time if it closes the deal?

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 26, 2012 09:49 |  #22

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15392264 (external link)
Bummer. I've never had a single crash, virus, or loss of data on any of my Apple products since 1996.

You must not have it connected to the internet then. I just had a Mac get a nice trojan and had to be completely wiped. Now I have to scan all accompanying media to make sure that the virus wasn't backed up onto the media. Plus I've had plenty of Macs die, have problems or get viruses. I support over 1600 Macs in my environment, so saying macs are impervious to design flaws or viruses is like saying a PC is also. They do get them.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

PhotoMatte
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,695 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 27, 2012 20:38 |  #23

cabinajm wrote in post #15408535 (external link)
You must not have it connected to the internet then.

All my Macs are always online. I even had a friend load a known PC virus onto a CD and then download it onto one of my Macs...nothing happened. Guess I've just gotten lucky (or else I'm part of the 99% of Mac owners who've been virus-free).

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,468 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2012 07:48 |  #24

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15414472 (external link)
(or else I'm part of the 99% of Mac owners who've been virus-free).

or like many, are infected, and do not know about it...

5D4 / EOS R / 7D2 I BADLY WANT A 1D X
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x/2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X2, 430EX-III X4

Harpo63
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2012 08:13 |  #25

Some have mentioned the technology changes that might make the iPad obsolete for this purposeā€¦ makes me wonder about future trends since I read about a photographer who had a gallery showing with all his images on various sized monitors/tv screens on walls and stands. It was a hit.

I can see the timelessness of having an actual album as mentioned. What about simply a slideshow album on a thumb drive or CD? I know people still do that now, but it seems to be the least hassle considering changing technology and formats?

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2012 10:26 |  #26

PhotoMatte wrote in post #15414472 (external link)
All my Macs are always online. I even had a friend load a known PC virus onto a CD and then download it onto one of my Macs...nothing happened. Guess I've just gotten lucky (or else I'm part of the 99% of Mac owners who've been virus-free).

PC viruses don't run on Macs, different operating system, different underlying compilation engines, etc. The only thing that could possibly be cross-platform is something like Java executed code. Are you running a AV software or anti-malware? You'd be surprised to find that you are infected in one way or another, either through trojans, trackers, malware, etc. I wouldn't have known that the Mac we had was infected until the security department came to me and told me that we had one on our network that was compromised. Just saying, don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

stu46
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2013 01:41 |  #27

Maybe add-on a custom Sticky Albums (external link) app to a package.

flickr  (external link)

sponsored links

2,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone offering iPads instead of albums?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.