Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 04 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grizzly sow and cub in the cliffs

Spinner ­ of ­ Tales
410 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 14, 2012 14:34 |  #16

Very nice, man that's a lot of bear.

Spinner

http://spinneroftalesp​hotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
charlie ­ z
865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2012 16:48 |  #17

Beautiful shot love it!!

Doc4659
204 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 19, 2012 14:47 |  #18

Mike,
This looks like a sow and cub I shot in the Many Glacier area this fall.
Do you have any side pictures of her? Blonde streak runs down behind her shoulders?
I post a couple pics this evening.
Great shot!

1D MK IV | 5D Mark III | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT| Gitzo 3542XLS

SCALPA
668 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 19, 2012 15:03 |  #19

Nice shot

Panasonic GX80 100-300 12-32
Olympus 45 1,8

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 21, 2012 04:12 |  #20

Doc4659 wrote in post #15386375 (external link)
Mike,
This looks like a sow and cub I shot in the Many Glacier area this fall.
Do you have any side pictures of her? Blonde streak runs down behind her shoulders?
I post a couple pics this evening.
Great shot!

Was thinking many glacier just before you get to the Hotel as well

Hannah'sDad
162 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 22, 2012 08:24 as a reply to  @ stink tooth's post |  #21

If you don't mind me asking, where was this shot taken? I have heard of grizzlies searching for insects in the cliffs, but always wondered where that was.

Scott
"I would agree with you, but then we would both be mistaken..."
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 24, 2012 05:45 |  #22

^
About 99% sure that shot was taken in Glacier National Park about a hundred yards to the east of the Drive way to the Many glacier hotel. In the many Glacier area of the park. Its not my work so I cant say for SURE but I am nearly positive thats where it came from based on some shots the OP has posted else where

Hannah'sDad
162 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 24, 2012 13:13 as a reply to  @ stink tooth's post |  #23

Thanks! I'm familiar with the Many Glacier area (was just there this summer), but didn't recall seeing talus like that there. Like I mentioned, I have read where grizzlies will move to higher elevations in the summer to feed on moths of the army cutworm, but never really knew where. I've been trying to find locations in the greater Yellowstone area where that is common, but so far have not been successful. Hopefully, someone will chime in on where in the GYA this type of high altitude talus is common.

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 24, 2012 15:23 |  #24

I would not call 50 feet above Many Glacier Road High altitude. You see bears right from the wide turn out just to the east of the hotel nearly every day by looking north and North west, and sometimes around on the W side of that rock out crop on the other side of the Hotel drive. Especially a little latter in the season, think late Sep. Oct. I live on the west side of GNP and when I am not out east working I try to get over to many glacier at least every other week sadly I have been gone working A LOT lately.

Hannah'sDad
162 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 24, 2012 16:38 as a reply to  @ stink tooth's post |  #25

Thanks for the info. I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean that the hotel at Many Glacier was high altitude. I was speaking of the greater Yellowstone area where I have read that grizzlies move to a higher elevation in the summer to feed on moths and escape the heat in the valleys. I do envy you though. Must be wonderful to live so close to such an incredible park.

Scott

bhowdy
686 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2012 15:01 |  #26

Terrific image Mike ... really like it!

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

My Full Gear List - My Photo Galleries (external link)

sponsored links

7,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grizzly sow and cub in the cliffs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.