Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How important is "taging"

dgiglio3087
520 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 12:57 |  #1

Im wonder how important is it to tag all your photos, while im NOT* really trying to sell my photos, i would like for my work to be seen. I have some photos that i feel are exceptionally good(because of the feedback ive received), but still the view count (on flickr) is low, like 4 or 5 views. Could this be because i havent tagged all my photos? Any suggestions on how i can get my view count up?

<---Daniel'sFlickr (external link)
Giglio's Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 27, 2012 13:00 |  #2

Tagging with keywords is probably very helpful on flickr.

Tagging faces on Facebook is almost a requirement.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dgiglio3087
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 15:17 |  #3

Okay thank you.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 27, 2012 15:18 |  #4

Agreed, but what sort of images are trying to sell and how are you trying to sell them?

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 27, 2012 15:18 |  #5

I would just add: only tag with what is truly represented in/by the photo.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

dgiglio3087
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 27, 2012 19:59 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #15412842 (external link)
Tagging with keywords is probably very helpful on flickr.

Tagging faces on Facebook is almost a requirement.

Sorry just re read my original post, it was a typo, im really NOT trying to sell my photos, i just would like for them to be seen. Sorry for the typo

But most of the photos that i have that i feel are good are Nature macro type photos.

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 27, 2012 20:06 |  #7

Tag your pictures! I posted one from a protest and tagged it "protest" and then someone who had a photojournalism group was searching for pictures to add to it found mine ... because of my tag! ... and bam. More exposure! You could also consider adding them to groups, I've found that helps a lot for people seeing them.

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 27, 2012 20:22 |  #8

dgiglio3087 wrote in post #15414309 (external link)
Sorry just re read my original post, it was a typo, im really NOT trying to sell my photos, i just would like for them to be seen. Sorry for the typo

But most of the photos that i have that i feel are good are Nature macro type photos.

Well even if you don't want to sell them, you'll need people to find them if you want them to be seen. Tagging is what makes this happen...or at least plays a big role.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dgiglio3087
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 16:36 |  #9

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. If i tag my raw photos in lightroom, then export them to Jpegs, then upload to flickr, will the tag stay in the meta data? Or would i have to use the flickr/LR plugin to make that happen?

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 28, 2012 16:54 as a reply to  @ dgiglio3087's post |  #10

The application of keywords is such a useful tool for. I apply these when I import from my card. It takes a bit of time but is so useful if I want to find that image a year or two from now. It depends on how descriptive one is and I take mine to a much detail as possible. Say I shot a wood duck, my keywords would be bird, migratory bird, duck, wood duck and any other things that could be visible in the image. If I want to search for this image in that year or two later I use any or all of these and it will limit the view to just these. This can be in Bridge, Lightroom or whatever you happen to use as a cataloging system. When you are saving for display on systems such as Flickr these will carry forward when you save the file as long as you are not using the save for web feature which will nuke all of this from the new file.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2012 17:06 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #11

I have put tags on photos on Flickr and it had a slightly beneficial effect. I added them to groups and it had a slightly beneficial effect. What gave me massive increases in views (like 3,000 in one afternoon) was putting a link on Twitter and getting it retweeted by relevant organisations that had say 10,000 followers. So, if you are into natural history, find some organisation in that arena and ask them to re-tweet your link to photos on Flickr and watch those stats hit the roof.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

dgiglio3087
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 17:09 |  #12

ssim wrote in post #15417730 (external link)
The application of keywords is such a useful tool for. I apply these when I import from my card. It takes a bit of time but is so useful if I want to find that image a year or two from now. It depends on how descriptive one is and I take mine to a much detail as possible. Say I shot a wood duck, my keywords would be bird, migratory bird, duck, wood duck and any other things that could be visible in the image. If I want to search for this image in that year or two later I use any or all of these and it will limit the view to just these. This can be in Bridge, Lightroom or whatever you happen to use as a cataloging system. When you are saving for display on systems such as Flickr these will carry forward when you save the file as long as you are not using the save for web feature which will nuke all of this from the new file.

Okay thanks.

I have slowly been adding keywords and descriptions to my flickr page. Problem is that ive yet to do it when importing from my sd card.

im going to start adding keywords at the time of import, and i also just joined a few flickr groups, posted on them, and commented on others just to get the ball rolling.

Thanks again everyone.

sponsored links

1,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
How important is "taging"
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.