Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Lowepro Pro Messenger 180 AW

jrmy
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 06, 2012 18:03 |  #16

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #14222183 (external link)
Why is that, works just fine for my Transformer?

The pocket isn't padded and is worn next to the body.

Check out my feedback here.

sponsored links
Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2012 19:55 |  #17

2mnycars wrote in post #14217396 (external link)
Where can you carry an iPad in this bag?

I have been looking, and looking, and I am thoroughly confused!

I am considering 3 bags...Pro Messenger (which one?), Retro20 Black, Billingham Hadley (which one?)

I spent a hour looking at bags yesterday, and will have to go back.

Gear
...D300S with vertical grip
...either 18-200VR or 70-300VR Mounted, with the other lens carried
at some point I shall upgrade to a better walk-about lens, replacing the 18-200VR

...Sony NEX5 with kit zoom lens
...short telephoto zoom lens

All to be carried in the passenger's footwell of a small sports car...

Take a look at the new Lowepro Event Messenger Line (external link) They have dedicated padded compartment for tablet/laptop. Although I don't quite understand why Lowepro shortly after introducing Pro Messenger added this line, they look competing to me.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 06, 2012 20:29 |  #18

Thanks jrmy. Thanks Andrew. I use a grip on my d300s. I saw this bag from a distance. I didn't look long.

Perhaps I need to look at the Retro 20 in black, and pack a garbage bag, if I need additional protection from rain.

Or perhaps the Flipside backpack, it is all weather I believe. (I keep resisting backpacks..

Dave

sawjai526
37 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 11, 2012 00:00 |  #19

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #14222717 (external link)
Take a look at the new Lowepro Event Messenger Line (external link) They have dedicated padded compartment for tablet/laptop. Although I don't quite understand why Lowepro shortly after introducing Pro Messenger added this line, they look competing to me.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I originally bought the "event messenger" as the "pro messenger" was too pricey. A 100$ difference. The event messenger is decent and padded sufficently but it isn't compatible with grips attach to body which I have on the 60d. Long story short it didn't work out for me, so I bought the "pro messenger" and its much superior in both padding and width(space) compare to the "event messenger". Hope this can help some decide what will work for them.

60D: |70-200mm F/2.8 ISL USM IS|28-135mm USM IS|50mm 1.4 USM|

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2012 01:58 |  #20

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I recently picked up an Event Messenger 250 as I wanted something like the Pro but still smaller for when I want to go lighter but still securely carry my tablet. This little bag fits that bill perfectly. In comparing the two models, the Pro is better appointed with details like the main closure being magnetized and more padding and space.

I would have liked a more plush shoulder strap on the Event, but all in all the bag is well worth the price, imo.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

jrmy
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 16, 2012 17:18 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #21

I've updated my first post, adding thoughts after using the bag on vacation.

Check out my feedback here.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 16, 2012 21:06 |  #22

Thanks jrmy! well done.

Dave

Hedonist
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2012 11:22 |  #23

After 10yrs of searching for a human carrying this 180 AW bag, I registered just to see how big/normal/small this bag can be.

Thank you, nice review and photo.
Will order this tomorrow! Rawr!

Triggaaar
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2012 06:13 |  #24

I'm actually after one of each.

I've decided to go for:
1) Lowepro Event Messanger 150
and
2) either Pro Messanger 180 or TT Retro 20
(and I think you have both of these Andrew)

Sometime I'll just carry bag 2, holding 2 bodies, with lenses (eg, 24-70 and 70-200) _ the odd spare.
Sometimes I'll go light with bag 1.

And for a wedding (or similar) I'd take both, and once out of the car I'd put the 2 bodies + lenses over my shoulders (on blackrapids), then carry some spare lenses/flashes etc in bag 1.

But... do I go for the Pro Messanger 180, or the Think Tank Retrospective 20?
I've seen the monster TT Retro 20 thread, and see that it can take two bodies with lenses attached, but can the Pro Messenger 180 do the same?
What would you recommend Andrew?

Many thanks

Blackberner
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2012

May 24, 2012 02:44 as a reply to  @ post 14222183 |  #25

Hi Guys.

Thinking of buying the Pro Messenger 160 or 180, but I want to carrry a small tripod (Velbon Maxi M) which is about 34cm long folded.
Any idea's on whether it would be able to be carried in or on the bag somehow ??

Thanks

Regards
Tony.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2012 20:35 |  #26

Hedonist welcome!
Blackberner, welcome! Good question Tony. I don't have this bag. I *think* you could sew straps to the bottom of the bag. However, that would mean you couldn't set the bag down flat, and have it stand upright.

I've considered the mid-size bag too, a couple of times. I like it because it is a shooter's bag. You can store a camera within for safety, yet draw it out quickly when you wish to use it. Attaching a tripod somehow would make that more difficult. At least it would for me.

Dave

littlejohncharles
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 28, 2012 14:24 |  #27

I'd like to take this bag but from pictures the idea i get is that gears don't seem so protected in all sides.Seen that you got it do you think gears expensive like the Canon 70-200 is II are safe inside it?
thanks

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

lucasmcd
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 28, 2012 17:37 as a reply to  @ littlejohncharles's post |  #28

I'd like to take this bag but from pictures the idea i get is that gears don't seem so protected in all sides.Seen that you got it do you think gears expensive like the Canon 70-200 is II are safe inside it?
thanks

I have this bag and love it, your gear is well protected without being overly padded so your 70-200 will be just fine ;).

I also have a Crumpler which I fine too padded , this can make it harder to get the camera in and out of the bag quickly , too much padding can also make the bag very bulky .

Thinking of buying the Pro Messenger 160 or 180, but I want to carrry a small tripod (Velbon Maxi M) which is about 34cm long folded.
Any idea's on whether it would be able to be carried in or on the bag somehow ??

There are no straps for a tripod , I measured the bag and you might be able to fit a 34cm tripod standing up in the bag but the flap would not be able to close fully leaving your gear exposed a bit.

You could put it in one of the stretchy side pockets that are for water bottles but then it might make it awkward to carry the bag , this messenger style bag is more designed to carry a camera with attached lens plus a couple more lenses / flash with easy access , if you want to start loading up with more gear you are better off getting a backpack.

For me this is the perfect shooters bag , love the feel of the bag / size / weight /looks / easy access and the thick straps and padding , I carried my 50D with attached 70-200F4IS a 100 macro 2.8 IS in one pocket and a 17-55 .28 IS in the other pocket , wallet , keys , phone etc all day around the city no problems.

Olympus OMD EM-5

12-50 , 25 F1.4 , 60 F2.8 Macro , 75 F1.8 , Tripod 3LT Brian , Lee Seven5 .

littlejohncharles
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2012 09:18 as a reply to  @ lucasmcd's post |  #29

Thanks Lucas

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

JChin
415 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 18, 2013 02:50 as a reply to  @ littlejohncharles's post |  #30

Has anyone used the SlipLock on this bag?

I have the Event Messenger 150 and it doesn't have SlipLock spots. Anyone know how much bigger this one (Pro Messenger 180AW) is compared to the Event Messenger 150?

Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)SmugMug (external link)Zenfolio (external link)
I shoot with Canon gear.

sponsored links

18,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Lowepro Pro Messenger 180 AW
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.