Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Can you live with just 1 prime lens?"
Yes
41.5%
No
58.5%

159 voters, 159 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you live with just 1 prime lens?

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 28, 2012 19:29 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Simple yes or no question... but probably more difficult to act out.

Can you live with just 1 prime lens and what would it be?

Im NO LONGER thinking about trading my 24-105 for the sigma 35mm (interested in portrait work)

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,162 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 28, 2012 19:35 |  #2

If you are interested in portrait work, except for environmental portraiture, 35mm is not, IMO, a great choice for either full-frame of crop cameras. The focal length is too short for head and shoulders portraiture and in order to fill the frame, you have to get too close to your subject. Head and shoulders work is a significant part of portrait photography.

I prefer a longer lens. Of course, you need enough space to for the camera to subject distance.

If space is a problem, I would find somewhere else to shoot rather than to shoot from too close a camera to subject distance with a wide lens resulting in distortion...

However, everyone has his or her likes and dislikes. You can find if 35mm will work for you by setting your 24-105mm lens at 35mm and using it at that focal length exclusively for a while.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

imports
134 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2012 19:35 |  #3

As you progess in photog world you will want more variety of lens to use and imo trading the 24-105 to 35mm is a wrong move. 24-105 is a very good all around lens.

5D MarkIIGripped
24-105 F4 EF L
16-35mm L
EX-580II flash
85mm 1.8

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2012 19:37 as a reply to  @ imports's post |  #4

For my type of shooting, I would go with 35mm.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 28, 2012 19:40 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks guys! just threw that thought out of my mind!

Sometimes it likes to wander into some random nonsense.

GEAR & FEEDBACK

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 28, 2012 19:42 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

mesakid wrote in post #15418168 (external link)
For my type of shooting, I would go with 35mm.

I understand the advantage to multiple primes, and i was just day dreaming about the sigma 35 that everyone else seems to be day dreaming about. In reality, i like the idea of it to take photos of my son.

But of course my long term goal is to have that as 1 of the lenses i carry

GEAR & FEEDBACK

RodneyCyr
635 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 28, 2012 19:43 |  #7

Forced to live with one prime, I would probably go with the 35mm/1.4L on my 60D.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2012 19:47 |  #8

i can but I don't get paid. For hobby it works just fine when I had just a 50. I actually think for learning that is an awesome path to take for a few months.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

kekais
122 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 19:48 |  #9

Could I? Yes.

I started learning photography on a 50mm 1.8 and would gladly do it again if necessary. The light weight and ability to "see" in one focal length has its advantages.

Would I want to? No, I've been spoiled by so many cool lenses =]

It doesn't matter how big your camera is, it's how you use it! :cool:

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 28, 2012 20:05 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

kekais wrote in post #15418207 (external link)
Could I? Yes.

I started learning photography on a 50mm 1.8 and would gladly do it again if necessary. The light weight and ability to "see" in one focal length has its advantages.

Would I want to? No, I've been spoiled by so many cool lenses =]

Honestly to answer my own question, i dont think i could live with just 1 prime. Maybe my 24-105 cause that's all im doing now.

GEAR & FEEDBACK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,980 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2012 20:09 |  #11

I can live with just one prime. In fact, I have lived with just one prime for the past 4 years.

My prime is the 400 f2.8, and the reason I can live with it as my only prime is due t it's versatility - due to it's wonderful compatibility with both the 1.4 and 2x teleconverters, I use it as a zoom.

Additional versatility comes from using it on both my 1.6 crop body and on my full frame body. With different converter / body combinations, I can achieve the following effective focal lengths (by "EFL" I mean the same field of view that each FL would give):
400mm
560mm
640mm
800mm
896mm
1280mm

I do hope to get another prime (like the new 600mm) at some point in the distant future when I can afford one . . . for now I'll make due with what the 400 provides.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 28, 2012 20:09 |  #12

For just a hobby I could probably live with my 50, but I would miss the wider lens for landscapes. For paid, no way.

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 28, 2012 20:13 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15418269 (external link)
I can live with just one prime. In fact, I have lived with just one prime for the past 4 years.

My prime is the 400 f2.8, and the reason I can live with it as my only prime is due t it's versatility - due to it's wonderful compatibility with both the 1.4 and 2x teleconverters, I use it as a zoom.

Additional versatility comes from using it on both my 1.6 crop body and on my full frame body. With different converter / body combinations, I can achieve the following effective focal lengths (by "EFL" I mean the same field of view that each FL would give):
400mm
560mm
640mm
800mm
896mm
1280mm

I do hope to get another prime (like the new 600mm) at some point in the distant future when I can afford one . . . for now I'll make due with what the 400 provides.

SMART!!!!

GEAR & FEEDBACK

stickerboy111
267 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2012 20:18 as a reply to  @ emelvee's post |  #14

Nifty 50 is all I need right now :D

600mm f4 or 400mm f2.8 in my future for Sure!

Why only the 50 for now? Any portraiture I do is strictly for family photos 50 1.8 is plenty fine for that. I don't shoot professional portraits or studio stuff much. I shoot Wildlife and Nature and I mainly use my Sigma 150-500mm or my Sigma 18-250mm for now, or until I make a bit more money for the big prime glass :cool:

Canon 7D Gripped
Canon 18-55 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Sigma 18-250 DC OS f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS
My Website http://www.wildartphot​ography.ca (external link)
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickerboy111/ (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,677 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2012 20:22 |  #15

I voted no. But if I had to try, it would be with the 400.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links

4,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can you live with just 1 prime lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.