Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 23:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for 70-300mm or more zoom Macro lens

trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 23:22 |  #1

Hey guys, sorry if there's a similar thread, but I'm having a little trouble finding certain info on this forum haha just shoot me to a thread if there's a similar one and I'll shut up :D

I'm looking for a 70-300mm Macro lens, could be more, but not less. I'm looking for something that I can take good shots of certain objects that are far away in the backyard, close moon shots, or similar.

I'd like to keep under $200 (new or used) and I wouldn't mind a hood included. I would like IS and automatic focus, both of which may not be used but I would like the option.

This lens will be for a T3.

Any input would be great and if you have any examples from a recommended lens please feel free to share!

Thanks guys!

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 23:53 |  #2

I've found this, doesn't seem like a bad lens, but not sure what exactly I'm looking for to be honest, any thoughts on Canon vs Tamron vs Sigma or any other good deal main brands?

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​564f86086b (external link)

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2012 00:10 |  #3

The Tamron is decent in good light and pretty good for macro, Sigma makes an equal verson but you can hack the Tamron to remove the focus limiter. Long range it begins to suffer in IQ though. Dunno about that seller specifically, I got mine off Amazon.

I took mine out a few times last year when I wanted to go light and chase butterflies. I can toss up some pics if you want me to. If you decide to go that route I would be willing to part with mine probably.

No IS on the sub $200 models however.

Adam - Upstate NY:

Demazi
33 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 29, 2012 01:03 |  #4

200 for that kind of lens is asking a bit too much, even for used lens.

I think the best you could go with is a Sigma 70-300mm Macro, or the same model with IS, bot not both, and it would already be over your budget on a far from good lens.

The tamrom you linked is probably the best thing you can go with, honestly, take a look at the lens photo archive. If the result pleases you, buy it.

trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 01:12 |  #5

Nature Nut wrote in post #15418895 (external link)
The Tamron is decent in good light and pretty good for macro, Sigma makes an equal verson but you can hack the Tamron to remove the focus limiter. Long range it begins to suffer in IQ though. Dunno about that seller specifically, I got mine off Amazon.

I took mine out a few times last year when I wanted to go light and chase butterflies. I can toss up some pics if you want me to. If you decide to go that route I would be willing to part with mine probably.

No IS on the sub $200 models however.

From what I understand IS isn't a huge deal, especially since I'll be using a tripod quite a bit? Maybe I heard wrong?

Also, would you PM me what you may be looking to get for your lens and possibly some pictures?

Or if you want to email me: red04montels@gmail.com (external link)

Demazi wrote in post #15418996 (external link)
200 for that kind of lens is asking a bit too much, even for used lens.

I think the best you could go with is a Sigma 70-300mm Macro, or the same model with IS, bot not both, and it would already be over your budget on a far from good lens.

The tamrom you linked is probably the best thing you can go with, honestly, take a look at the lens photo archive. If the result pleases you, buy it.

I was looking through the photo archive on Amazon, only issue is I think they downgrade the pictures massively to save space lol

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 01:15 |  #6

Also, is there anything similar is price with IS?

I'm assuming no, I see mostly the new series, white lenses by cannon well over $500

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2012 03:05 as a reply to  @ trewyn15's post |  #7

There's always an EF-S 55-250 IS. Your requirements, in concert with your very minimal budget, leave you few "good" options. It's just a little over $200 new ( maybe $160-$170 used).

Is waiting longer to save, more feasible? Unless you absolutely NEED the lens now, you'd be much better in the long run, saving and buying a better lens...one that you won't want to throw against the wall after a week ;) (although,i don't think the EF-S 55-250 IS would let you down).

You could always throw an extension tube or 3 on it, for your macro..in a months time.

GL in your search. :)

Kel
Gear

Geejay
793 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 29, 2012 03:19 |  #8

If you are considering the Sigma 70-300, make sure to get the APO version. Much better image quality than the non-apo version. You can spot the apo by the red ring around the end. Its a pretty decent lens, just a bit slow.

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2012 04:20 |  #9

In case some may wonder, here is a quick preview of what the Tamron 70-300 Macro can do... even in my bumbling hands:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Turkey (m)- (external link) by Wild-One 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Cago 3- (external link) by Wild-One 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (external link) by Wild-One 84 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2- (external link) by Wild-One 84 (external link), on Flickr

Adam - Upstate NY:

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 29, 2012 05:39 |  #10

trewyn15 wrote in post #15418800 (external link)
I'm looking for a 70-300mm Macro lens, could be more, but not less. I'm looking for something that I can take good shots of certain objects that are far away in the backyard, close moon shots, or similar.

I'm not sure why you specify a macro lens. Your stated subjects don't require one.

For your budget I think I'd go for the 55-250 IS.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 11:25 |  #11

1Tanker wrote in post #15419153 (external link)
There's always an EF-S 55-250 IS. Your requirements, in concert with your very minimal budget, leave you few "good" options. It's just a little over $200 new ( maybe $160-$170 used).

Is waiting longer to save, more feasible? Unless you absolutely NEED the lens now, you'd be much better in the long run, saving and buying a better lens...one that you won't want to throw against the wall after a week ;) (although,i don't think the EF-S 55-250 IS would let you down).

You could always throw an extension tube or 3 on it, for your macro..in a months time.

GL in your search. :)

I'm just looking for something that offers as much or more zoom as what I currently have, which is the Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:6-5.6 III but it's not a macro lens and will not focus well at all with close shots, so an extension tube with this may be a possibility, I may also look into the lens that you posted.

It may be because I don't really know what I'm looking for, but I like the offering of better focusing up close with a macro lens, my 75-300 right now isn't doing well at all close up.

What would you suggest for a 70-300mm or more Macro IS lens? I know I can afford more really, I was just hoping to keep it lower. Are there any other options around the price range but a little higher in price?

Geejay wrote in post #15419168 (external link)
If you are considering the Sigma 70-300, make sure to get the APO version. Much better image quality than the non-apo version. You can spot the apo by the red ring around the end. Its a pretty decent lens, just a bit slow.

I'll look into that, what do you mean by a bit slow?

Nature Nut wrote in post #15419225 (external link)
In case some may wonder, here is a quick preview of what the Tamron 70-300 Macro can do... even in my bumbling hands:

Very nice, is that non-IS and APO version?

hollis_f wrote in post #15419302 (external link)
I'm not sure why you specify a macro lens. Your stated subjects don't require one.

For your budget I think I'd go for the 55-250 IS.

Well none of us here really 'need' anything lol

I am looking to do up close insect shots from a decent distance or up close if possible, the close up part is what's pushing me towards a macro lens, like I stated above I'm having trouble focusing with my current lens

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2012 14:32 |  #12

It is the LD version from Tamron, might be similar to Sigma's APO though I can't say for sure.

http://www.amazon.com …-3&keywords=tamron+70-300 (external link)

Adam - Upstate NY:

trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 14:47 |  #13

Nature Nut wrote in post #15420751 (external link)
It is the LD version from Tamron, might be similar to Sigma's APO though I can't say for sure.

http://www.amazon.com …-3&keywords=tamron+70-300 (external link)

So that's no IS right?

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

trewyn15
THREAD ­ STARTER
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 17:01 |  #14

Alright, it seems that IS lenses are quite a bit out of my price range... unless you guys have a similar lens with IS, please post it, but I'm between these two right now:

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81pkLu0IPPL._SL1423_.jpg

PRISTINE SIGMA 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E3F6HQk9L._SY300_.jpg

I kind of want something with more zoom though?

Mitch
Gear/Feedback

grasshopper315
117 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 29, 2012 17:34 |  #15

Here's a list of Canons, Sigmas, and Tamrons in your zoom and roughly budget range at B&H. Don't think your going to get any more zoom, IS, and macro below $200.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …208157+42612081​64&mxp=400 (external link)

I think the best ~$200 with IS, but no macro, would be a used EF-S 55-250.

sponsored links

2,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for 70-300mm or more zoom Macro lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.