Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats your photography pet peeve?

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 29, 2012 14:41 |  #31

Mine is grumpy old people waiting to pounce.....can't fix old.

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,950 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 16:13 |  #32

cdifoto wrote in post #15420401 (external link)
In many areas of the USA even, salaries (wages) are still depressed and do not match the increase in fuel costs.

They don't match the increase in food costs, either. That's a pet peeve that goes way beyond photography.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2012 17:30 |  #33

"Pro" photogs complaining that amateurs with rebels are stealing their business... OMG if I only had a dime...

Matt
flickr (external link)

bethsian91
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 17:58 |  #34

gremlin75 wrote in post #15419116 (external link)
Wow, such hate with all this "search first" BS. It's not like it is some simple tech question that just need an answer and thats all.

It's a conversational topic. Is it a new topic? Perhaps not, but I question how many new threads there would be if people were only allowed to make new threads as long as it was not something that anyone else has brought up or asked before.......and looking at the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom shows me the newest thread being a 3 year old "85L peeves" thread......I don't know about anyone else but one of my pet peeves on the forum I mod for is Necro-threads!

Now what is my photography pet peeve? Instagram and all the people who take crappy photos, put a pre-made filter on it, and instantly think they are an amazing photographer.

My pet peeve about my own photography is the fact that I do not make enough time to shoot when I know I have plenty of time to do so

Almost as much as their idiotic friends saying "you're an amazing photographer, you should totally go pro..." i actually saw one girl agree to do someones wedding photos with her iPhone. I cringed and laughed at the woman who asked her.

I want to second shoot a wedding so I know the score before I do my own.
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 29, 2012 18:56 |  #35

sticknpuck wrote in post #15421327 (external link)
"Pro" photogs complaining that amateurs with rebels are stealing their business... OMG if I only had a dime...

lol

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 29, 2012 19:36 |  #36

OhLook wrote in post #15421101 (external link)
They don't match the increase in food costs, either. That's a pet peeve that goes way beyond photography.

Oh indeed. I remember when you could get two loaves of bread for a dollar.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,950 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2012 19:43 |  #37

cdifoto wrote in post #15421668 (external link)

Two? Big deal. I remember when you could get . . .

[discreet pause]

. . . somewhat more than that. Or a few pounds of ground beef.

Where does the time go!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,830 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 29, 2012 20:35 |  #38

cdifoto wrote in post #15421668 (external link)

1980 in the Midwest, white bread was $0.48-0.49 per 1 lb. loaf, in 2012 it is $1.20-1.39 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics

Another article got prices for 1914 and 1924 came from The Chicago Daily News Almanac and Year Book, 1926. Prices for 1976 and 2002 were collected at Kroger, Starkville, Mississippi.

Bread was 0.06 in 1914, $0.09 in 1924, $0.35 in 1976, and $1.49 in 2002

Yet another article says
Average Cost Loaf of Bread Food (external link)
1930 9 cents , 1940 10 cents , 1950 12 cents , 1960 22 cents ,
1970 25 cents , 1980 50 cents , 1990 70 cents , 2008 $2.79

In comparison, gasoline in US
$0.20 in 1930, $0.18 in 1940, $0.27 in 1950, $0.31 IN 1960, $0.35 in 1970, $0.86 IN 1980, $1.00 in 1990, $1.51 in 2000, $2.79 in 2010, $3.53 in 2011

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 30, 2012 07:14 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

My pet peeve: referring to someone as a "genius" based on his/her photographs. Performing brain surgery requires genius; inventing the transistor required genius; solving Fermat's Last Theorem required genius. There may be photographers who are also geniuses, but you can't tell by looking at their photos.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2012 07:50 |  #40

ScubaDude wrote in post #15423008 (external link)
My pet peeve: referring to someone as a "genius" based on his/her photographs. Performing brain surgery requires genius; inventing the transistor required genius; solving Fermat's Last Theorem required genius. There may be photographers who are also geniuses, but you can't tell by looking at their photos.

I always knew Ansel Adams just got lucky and was always in the right place at the right time.:lol:

I don't really think all brain surgeons qualify as geniuses, just individuals that have acquired the knowledge of how to do a specific type of surgery through extensive training. I've seen far to many people in specialized fields go there for a paycheck, including surgeons to call them all geniuses. If a specific surgeon brings an original technique he/she has come up with to the operating table then I would say they have extraordinary skill bordering on genius of course.

It's the same as saying all photographers that took a course in photography by one of the more reputable names in the industry such as Chris Orwig will start producing work that will rival his. A few will listen and learn from Chris then apply it to there own style of photography. Others will become the cookie cutter type and just do it for the paycheck and not try to produce uniqiue works of their own.

Using Ansel Adams as an example though you could say he took a picture of a landscape and by using his specific creative process transformed the raw image into a work of art that lives on long after the creator is gone from this world. To me that would qualify as a person that would qualify as a genius in his field.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 30, 2012 12:19 |  #41

ScubaDude wrote in post #15423008 (external link)

I think showing women as they wish they looked rather than how they actually look is quite genius of me.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2012 13:47 |  #42

cdifoto wrote in post #15423823 (external link)
I think showing women as they wish they looked rather than how they actually look is quite genius of me.

If you want to see them more than once as a customer or model than we all contribute to the grand lie that photoshop is.:lol:

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 01, 2013 13:57 |  #43

As per my title I reserve the right to say use the search!!!:p

Aside from that, people that use LV constantly. I get it on occasion but when you see their hand shake and they're simply struggling with it and keep taking the photo over and over and over cause it's not coming out. Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2013 14:49 |  #44

Don't want to get too much into the 'search' thing, but having similar threads doesn't really bother me... as long as a decent amount of time has gone by. There's no hard line, but as a general guide I would say 2 weeks is too soon, while a year is just fine.

I don't know why this dynamic exists, but resurrected threads almost never get the same attention as a new thread.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 01, 2013 15:29 |  #45

I don't know if it's a pet peeve per say but e other day I was in the camera store and a man announced he wanted to upgrade to a 1D mkIII as he felt the quality of his work was beyond his gear. Looked at the camera and promptly asked the salesman how to put it in auto... I nearly had a heart attack.

sponsored links

47,111 views & 15 likes for this thread
Whats your photography pet peeve?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.