Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 07:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NEX 6 or Fuji X-E1 to complement my 5dii

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 28, 2012 19:52 |  #16

paulkaye wrote in post #15417709 (external link)
Am I just being an old fart and demanding a proper VF?

Not at all...... The NEX 6 has a better viewfinder and much higher res LCD than the Fuji.

I'm leaning towards the Fuji, but its lack of good raw processing software and the relatively slow AF bother me a bit.

Lightroom 4.3 supports X-E1 RAW

sponsored links
tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2012 22:46 |  #17

I watche a YouTube video where two reviewers did a head-to-head and Sony would win in some aspects and the Fuji in other areas. Bottom line seemed to be IQ was better on Fuji but if you are interested in video at all the Sony is better. I'd go with the Fuji and better selection of fast primes.

But I think an OM-D is the real choice for me for the AF speed.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

rodal126
392 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 28, 2012 22:55 |  #18

I was in the same boat as you. I primarily shoot with the 5Dmk2 and was looking for another camera as a backup and something much smaller when I didn't feel like lugging around a DSLR. Check out my blog for a quick first impression of the camera and the results I gotten with the camera, http://rodneyalanphoto​.wordpress.com/2012/08​/17/sony-nex-7/ (external link)

Till this day I still shoot with the camera. I'm looking forward to the new e mount Zeiss lenses coming hopefully soon.

beauty & fashion photographer
facebook (external link) :: website (external link)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 28, 2012 22:55 |  #19

tempest68 wrote in post #15418715 (external link)
I watche a YouTube video where two reviewers did a head-to-head

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U (external link)

absolutic
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 28, 2012 23:31 |  #20

OM-D is what complements my 5DM3 - brilliant camera with super fast AF. I owned Sony NEX 5n and 7 before and on both AF was unacceptable to me, at least it could not pick up with my 6-month-old in anything but daylight. My understanding is that Fuji AF is even worse than Sony. Olympus OM-D easily AFs super quick in any light. for me AF is critical, so OM-D was an easy choice after all.

my youtube https://www.youtube.co​m …b_confirmation=​1%5B%2Furl (external link)
Latest POTN feedback https://photography-on-the.net …=15934524&postc​ount=39869
https://photography-on-the.net …=16930253&postc​ount=43618

EWR72
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 29, 2012 05:08 |  #21

Hi Paul, using a camera without a viewfinder is going to feel different but I didn´t find it difficult having used compact cameras like my Panasonic LX3 or Ricoh GRD before. I don´t hold the camera out too far though so I can get a comfortable grip on it. The tilt screen is great for landscapes etc especially for shots like the one of the shell. Also the one with the reflections in Melbourne was very close to the ground so I could tilt the screen up so I wouldn´t have to kneel in the water:)

In regards to the lenses (Scorpio e) the top and bottom one were taken with the Sony 16mm f/2.8 lens (The shell one had the fisheye converter lens on it). The middle one is with my Sigma 10-20mm with an EOS to Nex adapter but it is not Auto focus. I had to stop down the lens on my EOS camera body then take it off and put it on my Nex.

In terms of IQ, these photos printed at A3 look great and they could easily be printed bigger. I´m no pro-photographer and I am not shooting for clients but like to have high quality images for printing and framing and the Nex is capable. The Olympus looked great too but I couldn´t justify spending more money on another camera plus lenses $$$$$$$.

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/76980420@N02/ (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8249721@N05/ (external link)
My Blog:http://lightoflanzarot​e.wordpress.com/ (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 29, 2012 20:00 |  #22

Well I considered the same thing. For me I could only consider cameras that had a viewfinder so the NEX-6/7 and the X-Pro1/X-E1 where my two choices because I also wanted APS-C sensor so the Olympus m4/3 didn't make the list. When I bought the NEX-6 and X-E1 where not really available so I went with the X-Pro1 but I may downgrade to the smaller X-E1. I chose the Fuji products because of the fast prime lenses available and planned.

What ended up convincing me to go with the Fujifilm was the IQ, the excellent Low-light/High ISO performance, and the on camera/lens control of the aperture and shutter speed. I hate having to remember buttons and with this camera I don't have to. Also, a lot can be said about how easy the Quick Access is. Like the one on my Canon 5D Mark III better but the one on the X-Pro1 is great as well.

I'm hoping the RAW conversion thing will work it self out over time. I'm hoping Phase One will tackle the problem and add it to Capture One.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

terse
238 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 29, 2012 22:52 |  #23

Hamfist wrote in post #15417022 (external link)
The X-Trans sensor is sick. The X Pro-1 does everything IQ-wise as my 5dIII did (though the AF blows). Low-light is amazing, though limited RAW support right now. I liked it so much I ditched my Canon for the Fuji + a 'blad and a Leica M3.

is the fuji the only camera you have now? which lenses do you have for it?

flickr (external link) | Feeback

Hamfist
378 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 30, 2012 08:34 |  #24

terse wrote in post #15422238 (external link)
is the fuji the only camera you have now? which lenses do you have for it?

I have the Fuji but I primarily shoot with the M3 and a Hasselblad. For the Fuji I only have the 35 1.4, which rocks.

Film, suckers.

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2012 10:32 |  #25

Why not the Nex 7? It gets great reviews. There have been some issues reported with the Nex 6.

I use a Kodak Brownie

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,020 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 30, 2012 14:26 |  #26

OM-D is an absolute no brainer. I used my OM-D on my Alaska cruise trip as a secondary small camera. On print I cannot tell the difference between my 5dmk2 with L lenses vs my OM-d with cheap 14mm f/2.5 and 25mm f/1.4. The OM-D outperforms my 5dc and all canon crop camera's in the high Iso department. Mind you its not a sports camera and really only good for static or slow moving subjects.

Pitch dark room with the curtains closed in Dolly's museum whore house in alaska. Photobuckets compression certainly softens the tack sharp images.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i378.photobucke​t.com …ska_May_2012/P5​240121.jpg (external link)

A fly critter on my daughters hand. Yes she has dirty fingernails digging around while we were walking around in a tourist trap.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i378.photobucke​t.com …ska_May_2012/P5​220199.jpg (external link)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

sponsored links

4,949 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEX 6 or Fuji X-E1 to complement my 5dii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.