Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd Shooter Technical Issues

picworx
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 28, 2012 14:44 |  #1

I have a shot here that I am not happy with. The ceilings were dark wood not very good for speed light bounce, focus not good, how would I improve this shot. This is a place where lots of weddings take place so I would welcome your suggestions?
5DMKII was in manual and speed lite in ETTL. I used a Harbour Digital Design Ultimate Light Box modifier on the flash on a 45

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

The Print is What Really Matters

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,704 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2012 15:27 |  #2

Wow, that is a cool little location! First, the low angle is unflattering, in my opinion. It might be better if you have included the boys legs and less headroom. Combined with the wide angle lens distortion, it just seems like an uncomfortable shot. The on camera flash lighting doesnt really help either. Its hard to offer advice about on camera flash without knowing what the other parts of the room look like. Are you backed against a wall here?

Here is an article I thought of when I saw your shot. - http://neilvn.com/tang​ents/with-a-little-help/ (external link)

If you take the time to learn all the topics on his site, youll be a much better photographer. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 28, 2012 15:38 as a reply to  @ JakAHearts's post |  #3

I agree I cut off his legs and got too much of the ceiling and stairs. Behind me there was a hallway out to the reception area.

The on camera flash was angled at a 45 hence the blast of light.

I am seeing in articles that folks use ISO 800 inside churches and reception halls as light is so low, and maybe I should have stayed away fro f2.8 and gone with f8 or 11 for more sharpness?

HOSTED PHOTO

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 28, 2012 20:18 |  #4

I stop down when I can. F4-F8 with a speedlite if i can.

Lower ISO is best but 200 is not necessary with moderately new cameras and also the availability of strobes you get clean images up to 1600 and in this type of dark ambient clients wont expect studio clean shots.

Your technique seems solid otherwise. If you cant balance your ambient consistently with TTL/EC then put your flash in Manual. Your TTL metered the background and blew out your subjects, or you did by over exposing them.

You say this is a popular spot, and to be honest it looks like a dungeon... so go get your exposure nailed down hours before this shot needs to be taken.

Was this shot RAW?

Stuff

ventureon
173 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 28, 2012 20:46 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

picture will be fine. its more your composition to worry about.

Dumb down the exposure a bit in post processing, add some color effects, bam!

www.facebook.com/ventu​reonphoto (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2012 21:18 |  #6

you can bounce from the side and behind
get them all sitting down on the stairs and shoot tighter

Gearlist

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2012 21:59 |  #7

That is a horrible location for photos. Direct on camera flash is not very flattering in this setting. You used too much flash. Your cropping is weak.

Now, how do you improve on that? Pick locations that work with your subjects, not against them. If you must pose people on a staircase, pose them in a more interesting array. Next take your flash off camera . Better yet, add another flash so you can start to use some backlight which will help to separate your subjects from the background. You will need triggers and light stands, but that stuff is part of a pros kit. Work on balancing your ambient exposure with a little flash (properly gelled) . Don't be afraid to use higher ISO. I can show you a portrait that I shot at ISO 6400 that looks awesome.

And never shoot up at people.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 29, 2012 15:46 |  #8

Better bounce card would work as well. I don't specifically mean a Better Bounce Card but some diffuser that isn't a box and actually directs the light where you want it like a whale tail diffuser. No need to shoot at such an opened aperture unless you're shooting something in low light of going for a nice DOF look. Group shots should always be at least F4 (close) or higher for spaced groups so everyone is in focus.

Everyone else has covered the other areas but that's my 2 cents.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

phoenixheat
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 29, 2012 16:04 |  #9

Personally, I think what needed to happen was to kill flash power and use a slower shutter speed for more ambient light. As for fixing it, I'm not really sure. The whole room is lit by one pretty direct flash and there's not much you can do to get rid of that effect imo.

i think a cool cover up could be to turn it into a vintage looking image in post production and then get the crop/horizon right. The room looks pretty old so I think this could really work for you.

www.justinmuirphotogra​phy.com (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 29, 2012 16:09 |  #10

But you can't tell what kind of ambient light there is if any so saying that isn't all helpful.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

phoenixheat
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 29, 2012 16:25 |  #11

_aravena wrote in post #15421089 (external link)
But you can't tell what kind of ambient light there is if any so saying that isn't all helpful.

there's atleast three can lights... they're in the shot.

Just ramp ISO and bring that shutter speed down quite a bit. The best part about flash is that it freezes the subject and you can really bring that shutter down quite a bit without getting camera shake/blur.

www.justinmuirphotogra​phy.com (external link)

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2012 20:43 |  #12

A much higher ISO to let in more available light and a different light diffuser (one with a bounce card, as mentioned) would help. You could even drop the shutter a little more as well. But I'd have a much higher ISO.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 31, 2012 07:52 |  #13

To me composition should be your first worries, and then get it off the flash, you're using a f2.8, that should be enough by bumping your iso,

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2012 08:54 as a reply to  @ sgtbueno's post |  #14

I agree the flash is in your face, the light modifier I have shown earlier does send light everywhere, some people I know swear by the Lightsphere by Gary Wong but again it sends light out everywhere as well.

Would a rogue flash bender been a better choice along with higher iso like 800 with speed around 1/60th around 5.6 and of course better composition for sure.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …r_Large_Positio​nable.html (external link)

I will need to go back here several times for more weddings as its where most bridal parties go but not only that most venues are in poor or low light.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2012 10:06 |  #15

picworx wrote in post #15426973 (external link)
I agree the flash is in your face, the light modifier I have shown earlier does send light everywhere, some people I know swear by the Lightsphere by Gary Wong but again it sends light out everywhere as well.

Would a rogue flash bender been a better choice along with higher iso like 800 with speed around 1/60th around 5.6 and of course better composition for sure.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …r_Large_Positio​nable.html (external link)

I will need to go back here several times for more weddings as its where most bridal parties go but not only that most venues are in poor or low light.

A rogue flash bender is not necessarily the solution to creating a good photo. Your flash is still going to be on-camera, meaning that the light will be very flat. If you really want to produce some images that look better than snapshots, take your light off-camera.

You don't have to spend a ton of money do go with off camera lighting. You can get by with a cheap speedlight, trigger, umbrella and light stand for under $300.

Here's a stairway shot that I lit with two cheap speed lights. A small softbox was mounted to the key light. Bare light was used for the back light. I fired both with pocketwizards but you can get cheaper triggers.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …g%20selects/ken​ya-668.jpg (external link)

Now, compare my image to yours and ask yourself, which one would you rather have if you were a paying client? Btw, this venue was extremely dark.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd Shooter Technical Issues
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.