Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't have a Shorty Forty yet? BUY ONE!!!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 19:14 |  #1

Seriously...this lens is absolutely AMAZING! I own/have owned a lot of nice lenses, but this lens makes me happy every time I use it. It's so sharp/contrasty, it's light and small (I've never been much for primes, because I don't like to carry a lot of gear/be limited, but now I can toss the 135L on the camera for most of my shots, and keep the 40 2.8 in my pocket just in case I need something wider and hit the town.

Here's the latest one that made me happy...5D2 + 40 2.8 STM - ISO 100, f4, 1/200 sec...shooting in Busan, South Korea:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8327094265_f066a6ef18_b.jpg

100% crop, ZERO sharpening (just a bit of highlights/shadows, touch of contrast, but 99% SOOC):

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8328281024_05ba7fa590_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56150019@N07/8​328281024/  (external link)
EDITIMG_7618-100crop (external link) by canonzenit (external link), on Flickr

That is all...bang for buck, this lens is, I think, the best value Canon has right now...try one today!! haha :D

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 30, 2012 19:15 |  #2

Its a fantastic lens, I think I will swap my sigma 50 for it.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Dec 30, 2012 19:21 |  #3

The 40mm Lens is indeed very sharp but it doesn't really look sharp to me in this Picture. Are you Shooting JPEG?

Canon C200 | Canon EOS R | RF 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2012 19:25 |  #4

Man, I have not been to the ROK in about 12 years. Everything looks so built up these days. What does Taegu look like now? I used to go there when the place was just starting to really industrialize.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 19:36 |  #5

DJHaze596 wrote in post #15425239 (external link)
The 40mm Lens is indeed very sharp but it doesn't really look sharp to me in this Picture. Are you Shooting JPEG?

Yup, shooting JPEG...might change that, though...we'll see. Plus, there's always a lot of haze...

JeffreyG wrote in post #15425255 (external link)
Man, I have not been to the ROK in about 12 years. Everything looks so built up these days. What does Taegu look like now? I used to go there when the place was just starting to really industrialize.

Haha what were you doing here? Daegu is a sh!thole...I hate that place.

And yeah, what you're looking at here is pretty much the most modern part of Korea haha. Half of these buildings have just opened or are still scheduled to open in the coming months...here's another shot of the area...taken from the top floor of one of the highrises (dangling my camera out of a window of the 75th floor is scary!!)...the round building at the edge of the wooded area is visible in the first picture just behind and to the right of the buildings (behind the bridge)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6826301567_f80b273034_b.jpg

-=Gear=-

BirdsofBC
Goldmember
2,902 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 30, 2012 19:40 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #6

i am not very happy with this lens at all. they've gone down 25% in price since i bought mine in august...grrrrr.

lol. :)

https://www.birdsofbc.​com/ (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2012 19:42 |  #7

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15425293 (external link)
Haha what were you doing here? Daegu is a sh!thole...I hate that place.

What was I doing there? Drinking. It's Korea after all.

Seriously, I worked for General Motors in the late 90's and we had a JV with Daewoo. So I was helping the Koreans set up automotive plants in super fun places like Taegu.

Then we would go to dinner and eat and drink....and drink some more. And then we would leave the restaurant and find a bar to drink some more after that. Koreans are fun, but they will kill you with booze if you let them.

And yeah, what you're looking at here is pretty much the most modern part of Korea haha.

Nothing much surprises me in Korea. The people I met were on fire most of the time. They seemed pretty driven.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 19:43 |  #8

N.V.M. wrote in post #15425306 (external link)
i am not very happy with this lens at all. they've gone down 25% in price since i bought mine in august...grrrrr.

Haha I hear ya! I bought it literally the second they came out in Korea...(in fact, most stores didn't have stock yet)...I only paid the equivalent of $195 back then and prices haven't gone down here, so it's all good for me...but I could have saved a few bucks if I got an American friend to pick one up for me over Xmas...I'm not sweating it, though, I've been enjoying this lens for nearly 6 months now! Money well spent haha.

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 19:45 |  #9

JeffreyG wrote in post #15425312 (external link)
What was I doing there? Drinking. It's Korea after all.

Seriously, I worked for General Motors in the late 90's and we had a JV with Daewoo. So I was helping the Korean's set up automotive plants in super fun places like Taegu.

Then we would go to dinner and eat and drink....and drink some more. And then we would leave the restaurant and find a bar to drink some more after that. Koreans are fun, but they will kill you with booze if you let them.

Nothing much surprises me in Korea. The people I met were on fire most of the time. They seemed pretty driven.

Yup...I don't drink (like not even a drop) and my idiot principal tried to force me to drink, when I refused he poured a cup of makkeoli on my head. I managed to not punch him out, and ever since then he's suuuuuuuper nice to me. It happened in front of the whole staff (I work at a massive middle school, about 200 staff), so I've become a bit of a martyr...in the end, worked out well hahaha...

But yeah, not drinking helps me save crazy amounts of money...in general I like my life here, I'm down in Changwon, pop over to Busan quite often (like once a week in the summer)...been to Daegu like 5 times, tried to like it...couldn't haha.

-=Gear=-

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 21:51 |  #10

N.V.M. wrote in post #15425306 (external link)

I know I was bummed out. I went looking for one and got a used copy for $170, then a mere two weeks later they became available new for $150. Bummer!

Oh well, it's been a wonderful lens and I typically just leave it on my camera at all times and only change to another lens when necessary.

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 30, 2012 22:42 |  #11

No thanks. I can't get excited about a slow normal-ish prime no matter how much I like small lenses.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2012 22:52 |  #12

Cesium wrote in post #15425894 (external link)
No thanks. I can't get excited about a slow normal-ish prime no matter how much I like small lenses.

I actually LOVE the fact that it's a 40mm (I shoot a lot of film/rangefinder film, so 40-50mm brings back that mindset).

2.8 is hardly slow...but even if it were, most lenses that are faster need to be stopped down to be truly sharp...this one is sharp at 2.8...if you want decent-looking results, it's hardly slower than others that are available.

Did I mention it's small, light, has AF and can be had for the price of a dozen McDonalds meals???

-=Gear=-

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 30, 2012 23:06 |  #13

Pancake forty is great. It can compete with the best in my bag.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

modachroma
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 31, 2012 00:19 |  #14

Do you guys think I'll like this lens on my 7D with its crop sensor?

Eric
Not that it matters, but here's what's in my bag: 10D | 5D Mark II with Grip | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 40mm f/2.8 STM | 430EX II | Alien Bees
tumblr (external link)

modachroma
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 31, 2012 00:19 |  #15

Whoa... just realized I need to update my sig LOL!

Eric
Not that it matters, but here's what's in my bag: 10D | 5D Mark II with Grip | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 40mm f/2.8 STM | 430EX II | Alien Bees
tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

14,013 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't have a Shorty Forty yet? BUY ONE!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.