Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 29 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone recommend a Decent Intervalometer

schlagle
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 30, 2012 22:23 as a reply to  @ post 15424753 |  #16

I've purchased 3 of these and love them. The first took a dip in the river when I was breaking in my Lee Big Stopper. I bought a replacement but forgot I had already clicked the purchase button and bought another the next day :-) Doh!

Anyway, they work great.

http://www.amazon.com …8&keywords=inte​rvalometer (external link)

5D Mark III | EF 50 ƒ/1.4, EF 24-105L ƒ/4, EF 70-200L ƒ/2.8 IS II, EF 16-35L ƒ/2.8 II, MP-E65, EF 100L ƒ/2.8 IS Macro | 600EX-RT, 320EX, MT-24EX
PixelConceptPhoto (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ArcticShooter
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 31, 2012 08:11 |  #17

The problem with 3rd party is the connection to the camera. It is not even close to the original Canon N3 plug. And it can easily can fall out if you are not careful. So I just stick to the original now.

Helge
Summer is great :)

My gearMy (external link)Flickr  (external link) (external link)G+ (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 31, 2012 09:48 |  #18

This is the one I have, and love. It's a nice fit into my Mk iv, not loose at all.
http://www.ebay.com …p-tr3c&_sacat=0&_from=R4​0 (external link)
Model ap-tr3c
Link to manual in case you want to read up on it's functions.
http://www.aputure.com …_timer_remote_s​hutter.php (external link)

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

schlagle
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 31, 2012 13:59 |  #19

ArcticShooter wrote in post #15426822 (external link)
The problem with 3rd party is the connection to the camera. It is not even close to the original Canon N3 plug. And it can easily can fall out if you are not careful. So I just stick to the original now.

The one I listed does occassionally fall out if you move the camera around a lot. But generally when you're using an intervalometer you're not moving your camera.

5D Mark III | EF 50 ƒ/1.4, EF 24-105L ƒ/4, EF 70-200L ƒ/2.8 IS II, EF 16-35L ƒ/2.8 II, MP-E65, EF 100L ƒ/2.8 IS Macro | 600EX-RT, 320EX, MT-24EX
PixelConceptPhoto (external link) | flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 31, 2012 15:23 |  #20

That's why I use the one in ML, nothing to carry and nothing to lose. Just program it through the menu and walk away. ;):lol::cool:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 31, 2012 15:28 |  #21

Promote Control is my tool of choice.

I have gone through too many cheap options that I do not bother any more.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 31, 2012 19:19 |  #22

THIS (external link) is the one I bought off of Amazon, no issue with a loose connection between the plug and camera. The fit is tight and snug.

IanClark
Goldmember
2,501 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2013 04:08 |  #23

As with others, can't say I've had that problem. My 3rd party fits very tightly onto my 7D. Although I'll agree that with cheap there's always the risk of getting a bit of a duff one. I suspect you might have been a bit unfortunate.

Ian Clark
My Gallery on Smugmug (external link)
Kit List

SimonClarkson
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 06, 2013 15:52 |  #24

Thanks to everyone who gave me some good advice in this thread.

I now have my Intervalometer which I got from ebay. Just £20 (about $30)...

Ive been playing around with it tonight working it out and i am pleased to say it does what it says on the tin... Love the build quality too!

Regards

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 06, 2013 19:16 |  #25

To help others... Can you link to the one you ended up buying?

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

SimonClarkson
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 07, 2013 08:25 |  #26

Tdragone wrote in post #15453834 (external link)
To help others... Can you link to the one you ended up buying?

Sure,

http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

Regards

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,009 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 07, 2013 14:00 |  #27

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15428348 (external link)
That's why I use the one in ML, nothing to carry and nothing to lose. Just program it through the menu and walk away. ;):lol::cool:

Magic Lantern has saved me a lot of money! Easy to use and has a fantastic Intervalometer/Bulb ramp function.

Couldn't recommend it more! Ok I could actually ;)

6D | 600D | A6000 | 10-22mm ƒ3.5-4.5 USM | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | TM 35mm ƒ1.8 VC | 40mm ƒ2.8 STM | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 55-250 ƒ4.5-5.6 II | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

SimonClarkson
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 07, 2013 17:01 as a reply to  @ NCHANT's post |  #28

I just checked out the Magic Lantern, excluding the improvements with video and audio what photo improvements have they made? The website seemed a little unclear.

Regards

Pympologee
90 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 07, 2013 17:05 |  #29

+1 for Magic Lantern. You really just need to dig into the website and user manual as there are TONS of features. The intervalometer is very easy to sort out.
Quick quote from the wiki:

Unified Magic Lantern (currently running on 500D, 550D, 600D, 50D and 60D) has dedicated photo functionality like extended bracketing, trap focus, motion detection or very long exposures; also, most video exposure and focus tools work for photos too. Coming soon on 5D mark II.

The 7D alpha version may or may not have all the functions, I am not sure.

-Eric

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 07, 2013 18:42 |  #30

SimonClarkson wrote in post #15458038 (external link)
I just checked out the Magic Lantern, excluding the improvements with video and audio what photo improvements have they made? The website seemed a little unclear.

Regards

HDR (either auto mode where the camera takes a test exposure, and then brackets accordingly, or manually bracketed, where you tell the camera how many shots to take and in what order, pick the 0 exposure, and then the camera takes all the shots. Up to 9 I believe)

Bulb Ramping, where you set a target exposure value and the camera adjusts to maintain that exposure value during the course of a time lapse.

Intervelometer, tell it how often to shoot, and when to start shooting. I believe you can even tell it how many shots to take.

Bulb timer, tell the camera how long of an exposure you want to take in bulb mode.
I use the bulb timer in conjunction with the intervalometer to shoot fireworks.

Focus peaking and live histogram are useful in Live view as well.

In camera HDR preview. You can select the bracketed shot and see a merged image to tell what the base HDR image will look like.

Live View exposure gain. Boost the live view image by up to three stops.

Their may be more, but these are the functions I use.

edit:
Audio and motion triggering. I've tested them to see how well they work but haven't really tried to make an image with them yet. The triggering parameters for both are adjustable. Trap focus (takes a shot when something comes into focus, assuming you prefocus on a certain area) is a feature I haven't even tested yet, but I can already think of a few shots to take with it.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

5,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone recommend a Decent Intervalometer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.