Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Dec 2012 (Monday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Cameras - Washed Out Photos

jasonv
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 31, 2012 09:19 |  #1

Hi,

I've owned several canon digital cameras and I've noticed that many of my pictures appear washed out and photo editing apps are always correcting the image. I currently own a Canon SX260 HS. I usually leave the camera in full auto mode, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't do this. I've attached 2 photos as a comparison. #1 is untouched, #2 is corrected. I like the results of #2. It appears the the corrected photo has more highlights and shadow. Is there a way to correct for this without always having to fiddle with the camera adjustments?

Thanks,

- Jason

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 31, 2012 10:21 |  #2

Well, the low contrast in the first photo is probably due to the lighting that day. Do you have any other instances of where you thought the image didn't come out right?

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,558 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 31, 2012 10:55 |  #3

There are a number of reasons that could account for the low contrast in the first photo, as already mentioned, I think the lighting may be a big culprit. IMO, the easiest way to correct for this is in post. It only takes a few seconds and you can precisely dial up the contrast to exactly where you would like it.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 31, 2012 11:13 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

jasonv wrote in post #15427050 (external link)
Hi,
Is there a way to correct for this without always having to fiddle with the camera adjustments?

Photoshop Reverse Engineering will help you.
Take a number of photos w given camera in a few modes in different light
and enhance w PS. Note what kind of corrections are necessary for given conditions ..
If exposure, contrast, brightness, etc is a constant problem that will point you in right direction and your settings can be improved.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 31, 2012 20:30 |  #5

Try setting the camera to the Landscape mode. Canon out-of-camera jpegs can "seem" a bit more subdued in the Auto mode (what would be the Standard Picture Style). People who shoot Nikons a lot of times prefer the greater Contrast and Saturation shots that come out of their Auto modes.

You should realize, though, that this is all a matter of personal preference. If you like the results of the Landscape mode, well, more power to ya, although if it was me, I think I'd prefer the first as a "starting point" and then add a touch of Contrast and Saturation to suit my tastes rather than just rely on the Landscape in-camera adjustments!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 01, 2013 01:44 |  #6

It's important to understand that out of the camera jpegs are just images that the camera has post-processed using a small set of generic settings. You have multiple pre-sets for this which they call "picture styles". On Canon cameras, the "normal" or default is a low contrast, low saturation, moderately sharpened image. This is likely because people tend to use cameras to take photos of people and lower contrast and saturation helps to smooth skin and de-emphasize flaws.

But you have several picture styles to choose from. Plus, depending on your camera, you can edit those. Also, some cameras come packaged with the "picture styles editor" software which allows you to go in and further tweak those settings.

Experiment with these settings. I think you'll find what you are looking for.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

2,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Cameras - Washed Out Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.