Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Dec 2012 (Monday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another request for advice

Shackleton
986 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 31, 2012 16:41 |  #1

OK, after my other thread I have decided on a 40D, as long as I don't have to spend too much on a lens(still trying to stay around $1000 if I can do it). Looking at listings here, on ebay and on a couple other sites, bodies that look to be in nice shape have shutter actuation counts all across the board. Two in particular I am watching, one has 16,000 count, the other is at 81,000 in the same price range. Obviously less use is better(in most cases, less use is less wear right?) but how high would you let a shutter count go before no longer considering a body? With the L&D 14 threads here and elsewere I'm getting anxious to get out-especially since the famous Decorah IA eagles are only 45 minutes from my house, and another nest with very cooperative birds is 15 minutes from my work.

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 31, 2012 16:54 |  #2

Well, the accepted wisdom is that shutter failure is very unpredictable and there's nothing to say that a body with 16,000 will fail after one with 100,000. However, Canon;s quoted lifetimes will be based on MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) and calculated using a large enough sample. So, in general, you'll be better off with a body that has fewer actuations. However, that doesn't mean if you buy one with 1,000 shots on it that it won't fail the day after. Sh1t happens!

Personally, I'd be wary of a 40d with more than about 60k on it. I'm sure there are lightly used ones out there that will be a better buy than something with a high count.

Paul

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2013 02:52 as a reply to  @ paulkaye's post |  #3

Worrying about shutter counts is like worrying about buying a used car with over 100,000 miles. Common sense would dictate that you buy the least used equipment possible, and you look at the general condition of the car, and the maintenance record or external condition of the camera and hope for the best. You might get a gem that lasts 500,000 miles, or 500,000 actuations. However even a well maintained low mileage car or camera could break on the way home...

I have read that a replacement shutter is $60 plus labor for a total of approx. $250 USD. So given your very real concerns you should take that into consideration. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

595 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another request for advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.