Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D has a bug...literally.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2013 02:58 |  #1

So I see a small insect crawling around in my viewfinder.

Not sure how it got there, since the 7D is pretty well sealed. I guess a few hours at the beach with a 40mm pancake (unsealed) will do it....

Anyway, I thought it was just under the focusing screen, so I figured I'd just follow a replacement guide to remove it (http://www.katzeyeopti​cs.com/files/install_1​2.pdf (external link)), and give it a clean.

However, once I removed it, I realised it wasn't on the screen at all. I *THINK* I saw the bug, but it seemed to be INSIDE the glass. How can this be?

Is there a pane of glass above the focusing screen? Or is it directly the the pentaprism? Is it possible the bug is on another area of the penta prism and it's just projected onto the face that I can see once I removed the screen?

I'm still curious as to how a bug got up in there any way...I guess it could've entered the mirror chamber via the lens, and then crawled it's way into the prism box.

Is sending it in to a Canon centre my only hope? I really can't afford a repair/service at the moment...

Oh one last question for those that have removed focus screens, in general, or more specifically for the 7D: there's a gold shim frame that acts as a spacer I imagine that sits with the focus screen. I swear I saw two of them when the focus screen dropped down. According to the above link, it seems there's only one? Does anyone know if I'm just mistaken, and I only saw a backing plus the shim? Or if there are two shims, that one should lie on each side of the focus screen, or the metal wire clip pins the screen directly and the shim sits *above* the focus screen?

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2013 03:59 |  #2

wow, this is new...I doubt it got in there through the lens...I think it's much more likely that it got in during a lens CHANGE.

I'm pretty sure it's directly to the pentaprism after the screen (some guy just posted a thread about his 1D, which was missing the focusing screen, and the shot appeared to show right through the prism)...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2013 04:14 |  #3

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15430191 (external link)
wow, this is new...I doubt it got in there through the lens...I think it's much more likely that it got in during a lens CHANGE.

I'm pretty sure it's directly to the pentaprism after the screen (some guy just posted a thread about his 1D, which was missing the focusing screen, and the shot appeared to show right through the prism)...

Thanks, your info is very helpful.

I have rarely changed lenses, but I was outdoors yesterday. I guess we'll never know. The bug doesn't seem to have anywhere to go except wander around the viewfinder. I don't want to send it in for repairs, for the bug to get hidden elsewhere and not actually cleaned...

I used a pec pad cloth to try and remove what I thought was the bug, but it seemed on the OTHER side of the glass. I was being quick and rough, so maybe I'll go back in when I have some more time and be more intricate.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 01, 2013 04:33 |  #4

It's called a......

Shutterbug.

Well, someone had to.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2013 04:39 |  #5

philwillmedia wrote in post #15430229 (external link)
It's called a......

Shutterbug.

Well, someone had to.

:p I guess "Viewfinderbug" doesn't quite have the same ring...

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 01, 2013 05:25 |  #6

The 7d has a transmissive LCD under the pentaprism, I'm afraid you won't be able to get in there without doing some damage.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D​/ZPOLYNETLCD.JPG (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,105 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 01, 2013 05:27 |  #7

any ID on the bug? Presume something tiny like a Springtail....

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 01, 2013 05:35 |  #8

You could just put the camera in a plastic bag and stuff it in the freezer for a few hours. That should stop his running around. Don't know if it will also stop the camera from ever working again, but your bug problem will be gone.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2013 06:17 |  #9

Maybe not the freezer, but a fridge will do no harm.

Had this many years ago in a camera with a fabric shutter. Apparently they survived by eating the fabric. The fridge and a sealed plastic bag finished them off.

Regarding where this thing might be, there has to be space around the pentaprism, so removing the mirror may not achieve anything. Certainly there is also the focusing screen up there as well, not sure what an LCD would be doing inside the body.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2013 06:23 |  #10

How about trying to blow the little dude out with a RocketBlower?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Trevor_P
65 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 01, 2013 08:22 |  #11

Remove the lens, face the body downwards to avoid dust and leave it for a few hours, with any luck the bug will find its own way out.

5D mark 3, 5D mark 2, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 17-40L, 135L

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 01, 2013 09:01 as a reply to  @ Trevor_P's post |  #12

Yup
The bug should move toward a light source.
With a lens on your viewfinder is the light.
Pull the lens off and cover the viewfinder with a dark rag. That will make the
Lens hole the only light source.

My Flickr (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 01, 2013 09:39 |  #13

Put it face down with cap off and stick a couple crackers next to the camera. bug's gotta eat right?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Deetrini
145 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 01, 2013 12:30 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #14

Oh wow in all my years never heard or run into this one.

"Watermarks ruin photos" - anonymous

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2013 13:14 |  #15

Some interesting suggestions :), thanks.

If there is an LCD in the way (the 7D has that fancy light up AF point screen - but I'm not sure where it is), that would make it tough, but also more curious as to how a bug got in there. Maybe leaving the lens off for a while is a good idea.

Anyway, any info on how the gold shim should sit, for those that gave replaced focus screens?

sponsored links

5,291 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D has a bug...literally.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.