Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help selecting AF point on 5D3

howlin_mad
61 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2012 10:11 |  #1

I've shot with a 7D for several years, so i am familiar with the current Canon interface ergonomics.

On My 5d3, i must first press the AF grid button before i can use the joystick to select a point.

However, on my 7D, which i also have in front of me, i can simply change the focus point with my joystick directly.

It is insanely annoying to have that additional grid button press each time i want to select an AF point. Can someone tell me what i am doing incorrectly, help me eliminate that or simply confirm that that is the way it is supposed to be?

Yes, i did attempt to RTFM.

Thanks in advance!

Gear

sponsored links
talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2012 10:15 |  #2

howlin_mad wrote in post #15416253 (external link)
IHowever, on my 7D, which i also have in front of me, i can simply change the focus point with my joystick directly.

The 7D, by default, does not do that - you have changed one of the custom functions to be able to do this (as have I, it's a great feature).

(Edit: it's actually not a custom function, it's part of the custom controls setup page - "AF Point Direct Selection")

I would assume the 5DIII has a similar feature.

Edit: Yes it does, page 326 of the manual. It works exactly the same way as the 7D.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

howlin_mad
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2012 10:35 as a reply to  @ talbot_sunbeam's post |  #3

Thank you so very much. From a usability perspective, I have no idea why this is not set by default. Absolutely no memory of changing it on the 7D but I must have.

I am so happy not to be doomed to pressing that infernal button each time i want to select an AF point!!!

Thanks again for the speedy and most helpful response.

Gear

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 28, 2012 10:48 |  #4

howlin_mad wrote in post #15416340 (external link)
Thank you so very much. From a usability perspective, I have no idea why this is not set by default. Absolutely no memory of changing it on the 7D but I must have.

I am so happy not to be doomed to pressing that infernal button each time i want to select an AF point!!!

Thanks again for the speedy and most helpful response.

I had the exact same experience when I added my 5DII. I don't remember setting this feature on my 40D, but I had to on the 5DII.

My Gear

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2012 21:19 |  #5

howlin_mad wrote in post #15416340 (external link)
Thank you so very much. From a usability perspective, I have no idea why this is not set by default.

You're welcome.

These modern cameras are pretty configurable, and there are a variety of options to configure the camera to your needs - this is great for power users, but often complex and overwhelming for new, or less sophisticated users.

I guess when Canon are setting up the defaults, given that there are a variety of users buying a 7D or 5D from experienced through to new enthusiasts, they figure it's easier to turn off some of the advanced stuff and let the pro users go hunting for them when they need those features, than bamboozle new users with a million options. Let's face it, a new user is probably not going to be wanting to be shifting manual focus points around from day one until they've been shooting for a while and learn those techniques - while it's essential for an experienced shooter.

As another example, by default the 7D ships with only the automatic focus point modes enabled - fine for new users, but the first thing an experienced user is going to change by enabling the manual focus point modes etc.

In short, I'm happy those features are there than not at all, and it's why, if you are serious about improving your shooting workflow, it's worth going through the manual bit by bit and understanding what, why and how *every feature* and configurable option works, try them out a few at a time, and work the most useful ones into your workflow...

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 01, 2013 10:34 |  #6

When the camera is in 'sleep' mode. You cannot move the AF point on the joystick unless I press the shutter or AF to wake it up first. Is there a setting where you can bypass it and go straight to pressing the joystick. Thanks in advance.

sponsored links

1,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help selecting AF point on 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.