Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Dec 2012 (Monday) 04:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first Canon Year

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 31, 2012 04:15 |  #1

In January 2012 I bought a new old stock 5dc to replace my Pentax K10d which I had dropped. I bought a 50mm 1.4 to experiment and see if it was worth it moving over. The initial images were quite good but nothing that really convinced me just yet. This was followed by a 600ex flash for my birthday pressie.

On friday I took delivery of a 70-200 F4IS.

OMG

Holy ****!

Yeah, I'm impressed and have now put up all my Pentax gear for sale to fund a 24-70F4 and a bowens kit. I've enjoyed the new learning curve and have spent many nights going through old treads here on POTN, constantly learning new tricks and having a good old time.

I look forward to another year of new gear and hopefully far better photos. I thank you guys for sharing your knowledge, and wish all of you everything of the very best in the new year!

Feroze

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 31, 2012 04:25 |  #2

congrats. I've been using canon since 2010, love the set up I have and can't wait until I have a 7D/6D combo. Hows the 50mm f1.4 as I'm in the market for one.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

FerozeK
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 31, 2012 04:33 |  #3

50mm are the easiest lens to manufacture, its pretty hard to make a bad one. The canon is pretty ok, nothing particular special about it, however it works, it works well and you wont regret buying it. Its far sharper than most consumer zooms.

A long while back when was still shooting film I did a wedding course, for our homework we were made to shoot with only a 50mm prime and 1 roll of film, we had to submit the undeveloped film to critique. Its quite an eye opener of what you can achieve when you limited to just one lens and 36 shots.....

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 01, 2013 02:29 |  #4

FerozeK wrote in post #15426494 (external link)
50mm are the easiest lens to manufacture, its pretty hard to make a bad one. The canon is pretty ok, nothing particular special about it, however it works, it works well and you wont regret buying it. Its far sharper than most consumer zooms.

A long while back when was still shooting film I did a wedding course, for our homework we were made to shoot with only a 50mm prime and 1 roll of film, we had to submit the undeveloped film to critique. Its quite an eye opener of what you can achieve when you limited to just one lens and 36 shots.....

i'm going to be honest I can't wait to get my first prime lens. I'm planning on a canon 135mm f2.8 soft focus and a sigma 50mm f1.4 for my first two primes.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2013 04:05 |  #5

wow...you must have one of the last 5Dcs sold new out there!!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,458 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 01, 2013 09:47 |  #6

I tryed some non L Canon glass on my 5Dc and let it all go...
Main difference in L isn't in the build, it is in highest quality glass, which is the key to IQ.
Surpriselly for me two Tamron lens I have, sold one of them for L, are good.
I'm very happy with 28-75 3.8 in terms of IQ on 5Dc, check this one too.
With 5Dc and f4 zooms it is not good indoors if you want no flash. F2.8 and ISO1600 does the job well in situations like this.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 01, 2013 10:09 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I am anxious to see your opinion of the 24-70 f/4. That has got to be a killer lens, or Canon plans on discontinuing the 24-105. Both in the stable doesn't make much sense. Welcome home, and happy shooting.

Gear List

FerozeK
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2013 11:53 |  #8

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15430201 (external link)
wow...you must have one of the last 5Dcs sold new out there!!

Pure luck, a buddy was looking for a backup 24-105, the dealer had a 5d kit and we split it as he didnt want to sell just the lens and get stuck with a the body. I didnt fall in love with the 24-105, its more than competent, but just didnt thrill me. One of those rare occasions where all 3 of us got what we wanted....

FerozeK
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2013 11:58 |  #9

kf095 wrote in post #15430702 (external link)
I tryed some non L Canon glass on my 5Dc and let it all go...
Main difference in L isn't in the build, it is in highest quality glass, which is the key to IQ.
Surpriselly for me two Tamron lens I have, sold one of them for L, are good.
I'm very happy with 28-75 3.8 in terms of IQ on 5Dc, check this one too.
With 5Dc and f4 zooms it is not good indoors if you want no flash. F2.8 and ISO1600 does the job well in situations like this.

I hardly ever shoot without flash, most of my shots are between F5.6 and F11. The sun always shines in South Africa (about 200 days a year) anyway :)

TSchrief wrote in post #15430772 (external link)
I am anxious to see your opinion of the 24-70 f/4. That has got to be a killer lens, or Canon plans on discontinuing the 24-105. Both in the stable doesn't make much sense. Welcome home, and happy shooting.

As soon as I've sold all my gear and its available here....but I doubt they would be dumping the 24-105 just yet, but a F2.8 version of that lens might make me think twice

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 01, 2013 12:31 |  #10

TSchrief wrote in post #15430772 (external link)

if they discontinued, what would be the kit lens for the FF line? all the other lenses are way too expensive.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 01, 2013 13:06 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

mike_311 wrote in post #15431205 (external link)
if they discontinued, what would be the kit lens for the FF line? all the other lenses are way too expensive.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first Canon Year
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.