Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 07:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Naming your "brand"

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 28, 2012 07:58 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I am not a photographer by trade. However my hobby has turned into a bit more and I have been selling prints. I'd like to open up a website, submit to local galleries, submit for publication, watermarking images, etc.

Big issue is I have a semi-common name. I have looked up my first and last and every iteration of that with photo, photography, etc. There are several people with my name with professional photography sites around the US.

So I have come to the conclusion that I can't just do "My Name Photography." So what do I do now? I found many nonsensical names for photo brands to be off putting. But I also don't have this big business and wanted to stress it's just me and my vision. So where do I go from here? I named my post production business one of these type names and it has gone real well. But it works for that type of business. Most Post houses aren't named after the founder. I don't think I really want to tie the photography into that name and want it to live on its own.

I don't want to shoehorn myself into "My Name Portraits" or "My Name Landscapes", etc. I'm lost. Any advice?

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 28, 2012 08:20 |  #2

Just cause your name is a common name doesn't mean that you should use a fictitious business name. The way I see it, using your name helps clients remember who you are as a person. Also, no one's going to google "Your Name Photography" to try to find a photographer, so I don't think it it matters if there are other people out there with the same name.

What's your post production business' name? Maybe you can combine them all under one roof using "Studios" or something.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 28, 2012 08:25 |  #3

Play with a thesaurus for a few hours, or do one of those marketing exercises with lists of words/concepts (I'm sure there's a name for them, but it's been a while since college)..

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 28, 2012 09:57 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #4

I believe that in the case of some photography businesses, "your name Photography" works well. My current occupation is similar as clients are looking FOR ME, not my business. It is what I do that clients want...not a lot of goodwill to sell in later years but that's the way it goes. For some photography type work, your clients will be looking for YOU, not your step-in. Having a clear name so that client's know who you are is important. If they want Jim Gameface, why not make it easy to find you. A fictitious will just make it confusing. Doesn't work for everything but I think you need to ask yourself who your clients may be looking for, your business or you. If you do big event type work, I can see a fictitious.

How about using your initials as in a creative logo somehow with "your name Photography/images/pho​to/etc."? It might be a common name, but make it creative with a watermark. Just thoughts?

Allen - Gear List

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 28, 2012 12:26 |  #5

I believe GameFace was saying that all the iterations of GameFacePhotography.com were already taken, so he doesn't really have that option. Even if he does call his business that, he's looking for other options in domain names.

My business just has my name - no "photography" at the end of it. Have you searched for just your name, name with middle initial, or full middle name? If so, maybe it could be YourNameBoston.com, or YourNamePhotographyBos​ton.com. That may be too long, but could you fit Boston somewhere in there? I'll bet one of those is available.

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2012 14:58 |  #6

To help you create your studio name, randomly choose at least one word from each of the following lists.

Magical
Special
Perfect
Precious
Timeless

Memories
Impressions
Captures
Images
Shutters
Fotos
Clicks
Frames

In Time
Forever
In Focus
Studios, LLC

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2012 15:13 |  #7

I'ma go with Magical Clicks Forever for 500, Alex.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 28, 2012 16:36 |  #8

nathancarter wrote in post #15417352 (external link)
To help you create your studio name, randomly choose at least one word from each of the following lists.

Magical
Special
Perfect
Precious
Timeless

Memories
Impressions
Captures
Images
Shutters
Fotos
Clicks
Frames

In Time
Forever
In Focus
Studios, LLC

Any of those combinations make me want to puke. :p

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 28, 2012 21:48 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #15417352 (external link)

Magical
Special
Perfect
Precious
Timeless

Memories
Impressions
Captures
Images
Shutters
Fotos
Clicks
Frames

In Time
Forever
In Focus
Studios, LLC

Better yet avoid all of the ones on the list at all costs!!!

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2012 22:04 |  #10

Mark1 wrote in post #15418562 (external link)
Better yet avoid all of the ones on the list at all costs!!!

Hasn't hurt me using one of them :)

Peter

Sampson ­ Images
166 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2012 22:22 |  #11

You can have the same business name as another company, as long as you are not in direct competition with them, meaning you are not close to them. At least that's the way is it in my state. Your state can do a search of what you would like to use as a business name when you are registering it.

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,135 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 31, 2012 11:03 as a reply to  @ Sampson Images's post |  #12

Remember that business name and domain name need not be the same.

Don't let domain name lock you into a business name.

Domain naming conventions will change, used names fall back into the repple depple, a single business may have numerous websites based on different business facets, your website is only one avenue of marketing--and rarely the most important.

Your business name is more permanent. Choose your business name based on what best represents you and your business. Worry about the domain name later.

I believe that in the case of some photography businesses, "your name Photography" works well. My current occupation is similar as clients are looking FOR ME, not my business. It is what I do that clients want...not a lot of goodwill to sell in later years but that's the way it goes. For some photography type work, your clients will be looking for YOU, not your step-in.

I agree with this for photography. The person behind the camera is the most important factor of the business, and especially with word of mouth recommendations, the "word" will be the name of the photographer, not the name of the business.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 31, 2012 11:49 |  #13

You can always make up a pseudonym. Sort of like a pen name for your photography work.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 01, 2013 14:10 |  #14

I hate my name so coming up with something different was hard and then after choosing that I wasn't sure but I was spreading my name and people knew it. It's a weird catch 22 and I wished I put more thought into using my name differently. I like my birth name which is my s/n here but then I was worried, marketing, that such a hispanic name might deter people and it's not easy to remember or search if people remember. Nathan Carroll is but my last name never flows and I've actually made many people I serve with call me Nate or Nathan because I really hate being called Carroll in the Navy. Just a thing.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 01, 2013 15:13 |  #15

aIpha wrote in post #15427644 (external link)
You can always make up a pseudonym. Sort of like a pen name for your photography work.

My full name is really long so that's what I did even though just a hobbiest it makes it easier to mark work, but I run a consulting business under that name. It is also frequently misprounouced. JL are my first two initials and my last name has cross in it hence the X. People like it (so I've been told) because it's easier to remember and it makes sense. In the photography world I can't remember how many times I hear someone go "we used that photographer, Karen something." especially when the name is complicated.

Be honest. Every photographer wants to be Ansel Adams, or Jerry Ulesman, or Man Ray or (insert any photographer that even non-photographers have heard of) and were not. Don't sell yourself short, but modesty is a virtue. Look at honestly what you're offering your clients, ask them to describe you as a business. You obviously have a market - who is that market? Are you amazing at infant photography? Don't highlight your landscape photos, even if they're great. If it's not what your clients are looking for you end up fighting yourself.

And in terms of domain names: something that people can spell and remember easily.

sponsored links

2,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
Naming your "brand"
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.