Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 00:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

15, want to make some money

Gino ­ Troian
137 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 26, 2012 07:17 |  #16

glad to see younger shooters as well :p

i just turned 18 and have been shooting for a few years and have made quite a bit recently. i shoot live music and festivals which is a bit different than most but the moneys good and it's fun. social networking is your best friend, regardless of what you're shooting. if you start now, you could probably set yourself up pretty nicely later in your career. honestly with the quality of your work, don't expect to make any real money anytime soon. all i can suggest is keep learning, shoot for free as much as possible (experience is the most important thing to you right now), and just branch out to as many people as possible.

:mad:
www.ginotroian.com (external link)

sponsored links
Bennis
368 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2012 07:26 |  #17

I am from Australia, 19 years old. I started shooting when I was 17. My GF of the time had a 1000D and I thought it was cool, so I got one and since then I have become quite addicted. I soon found that my favourite genre was landscapes. Alot of research, experimenting and money (on gear... I now use a 5D / several lenses and a filter setup), I am now pretty happy with my shots.

I don't try and sell them, but have had people who have seen my Flickr / facebook posts buy prints.

Hopefully by the end of 2013 I want to have a pretty solid supply of landscapes (seascapes / sunrises I will be focussing on. This year I have not had the chance to wake so early). I then plan on setting up a website for myself, and marketting myself over FB and such. I don't plan to make a living selling landscape prints, but I can see it being a pretty handy little side income, even if I only make $100 a month.

I became confident with my skills when my photos started turning out like some of my idol photographers. Find photographers who produce images you like, then figure out what you need / how to get images like them.

Flickr is in my signature if you want to have a look.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 ~ Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8
Flickr (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 26, 2012 13:17 |  #18

As you as you take money, you become business. Along with business comes taxes, insurance and liability.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

imtravy
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 26, 2012 15:30 |  #19

Fricks wrote in post #15407563 (external link)
yes light room 4 for the basics:)

Lightroom is the best <3

Nikon D800 | | Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 27, 2012 00:57 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Gino Troian wrote in post #15408184 (external link)
i shoot live music and festivals which is a bit different than most but the moneys good and it's fun.

Could you elaborate on what your sales model is? Do you sell on site or online and are you selling primarily to bands or the Audience? How many people normally go to these things?

I always thought this would be a Very tough type of Gig to do well from.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

Gino ­ Troian
137 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 27, 2012 02:20 |  #21

glumpy wrote in post #15411378 (external link)
Could you elaborate on what your sales model is? Do you sell on site or online and are you selling primarily to bands or the Audience? How many people normally go to these things?

I always thought this would be a Very tough type of Gig to do well from.

hi,

i work under contract with bands or artists. i normally don't take photos of people or the crowd, but i'm starting to more and more just for publicity and facebook likes :D it's really not that hard if your work is good, as it usually speaks for itself

:mad:
www.ginotroian.com (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 01, 2013 16:29 |  #22

You can contact people but I think it may be better to somehow actually get to know them or join a club or something that has a network for 2nd shooters. I've had people call me, and it's flattering, but my business isn't that huge and my wife is a my second as it is so I've generally turn people down. Oddly enough, I have an apprentice (or so she likes to be called) that i met, befriended, and she has a genuine interest in photography, takes decent photos but wants to learn for her family and not simple a business, and is a GREAT model.

So see. Someone that I met and talked too I started shooting with and taught her a few things of my limited natural light knowledge :lol: opposed to some stranger that called. FB would have been better since I could have seen them and now I understand why companies look at prospective employees' FB pages. Although they do have personal interviews too.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

sponsored links

3,896 views & 0 likes for this thread
15, want to make some money
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.