Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Dec 2012 (Monday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped my 24-105L ...

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 01, 2013 10:02 |  #16

i'd try a shot stopped down with a wide scene, just to make sure one side isn't softer than the other

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2013 17:08 |  #17

I think the four things to check are:

- Focus. Does it focus at all distances? Does the AF work? Is the manual focus ring smooth?

- IS. You should be able to see the IS working in the viewfinder (and hear it), but some controlled shooting at a low shutter speed with IS turned on and then off will prove it.

- De-centering - make sure the image is equally sharp on the left and right and top and bottom of the frame.

- Zoom - make sure the zoom works smoothly across the range. Might be worth checking focus at different focal lengths too.

Good luck!

Paul

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 01, 2013 18:33 |  #18

Sometimes lenses can take a thrashing, other times a small bump will mess it up. I say continue to shoot with it and see if you notice any issues.

I barely bumped my 24-70 a few years back and did some test shots, everything looked OK. When I used it for real world shooting it just didn't seem then same. It seemed like far left of the frame was severely back-focusing. I had other lens choices so it took me a while but when I finally took it to Canon CPS they practically rebuilt the lens except the exterior barrel. Thankfully CPS in Canada flat rate was around $240. The lens is now better than before it was bumped. My 70-200 has been through hell & back, dropped & bumped. I took it to CPS because the tripod ring was stuck, another $240 and they replaced the IS unit, replaced the mount and weather seal.

Hopefully your 24-105 is unscathed - good luck!

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 01, 2013 20:59 |  #19

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15430589 (external link)
Thanks for the reassurance! Ill do more tests with it later just to be sure but I have a feeling it is fine. And yes Cubdriver - I secretly was relieved that it wasn't the 85L that fell :lol:

I dropped my 85mm L II, it bounced then hit the frame of a sliding door, it now has a nice diagonal crimp in the body.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2013 21:26 |  #20

I dropped my 17-40L on concrete from about 6 feet and all it got was a nick. I think you're probably ok. Do the tests to reassure yourself if need be.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 01, 2013 22:32 as a reply to  @ Mrslinger85's post |  #21

I dropped my Canon HF M500 video cam. It went down the side of a mountian, bouncing it's way down. At one point I could see the LCD door open. I lost site of it. As I was climbing down, I found it directly on the path (very rocky at that). I picked it up, and removed a number of leaves from it. It had several large scratches, the front lens opening was dented. I turned it on, and to this day (about 4 months ago), it works just fine. I even had it out in the heavy snow the other day, it got soaked. I figure it is a 'feline' type cam and has 7 lives left. :D

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 01, 2013 22:54 |  #22

It really depends on the bump and the angle it hits it at. Sometimes even a minor bump will dislodge an internal element that requires collimation whereas heavy bumps won't have any noticeable difference

If you can't tell a difference pre and post drop then nothing to worry about :)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 02, 2013 05:38 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I dropped my 135L out of my bag onto a basketball court floor. No harm done. I hope your incident works out the same.

Gear List

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 02, 2013 05:49 |  #24

jcpoulin wrote in post #15430729 (external link)
Lens' get dropped...they are not as delicate as people think!!! You have tested it....looks fine. Go out and shoot a low light setting with a shutter speed of 1/20 or so.......see if the IS turn on and functions. Dollars are the lens is fine....think of all the news and sports guys who beat up their stuff..

+1 Lenses are not as fragile as people believe. They are built to be used.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

4,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped my 24-105L ...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.