Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS BH-55 VS. Acratech GP

boomanphoto
278 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 10, 2012 16:20 |  #1

I am debating between these two ballheads. I hear amazing things about both. What do you guys think about them?

I shoot everything from cityscapes to landscapes to wildlife. I just don't know! I want to have these forever so I want to make the right choice!

RRS BH-55: http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …ll-sized-ballhead-with-LR (external link)

Acratech GP: http://acratech.net/pr​oduct.php?productid=69 (external link)

Thanks! :)

-Austin
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)
5DMKII | 60D | 16-35L II | 70-200L II | 580EX II

sponsored links
wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 10, 2012 17:48 |  #2

I have the BH-55 PCL and it is sweet... but also spendy. It is solid, no droop, locks on tight and works great with my RRS L bracket. I'm very happy with the purchase. I'd say the only con is the sucker packs some weight to it but that may not be a bad thing because it may help with creating a little more stability with light breezes and what not.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 10, 2012 21:02 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

RRS all day.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 11, 2012 01:50 |  #4

Personally I'd get the acratech because I've been interested in their heads for a while now and want to try them out.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 11, 2012 06:33 |  #5

Here in the UK it's not easy to check these things out beforehand. Availability can also be a problem. That's why I went for an Acratech ballhead - that and the fact that they look a billion times cooler than anybody else's.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2012 12:48 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #6

I have two Acratech heads, the GP for my GT2531 and the GP-s for my 1541T, and they are spectacular pieces of equipment. Operation is smooth and precise, and they can be turned into levelling panorama heads in seconds. I have used them as a gimbal for my 400 f5.6L and had no creep. I am sure that RRS equipment is excellent, but they seem to have almost an Apple-like cult following, and I am a bit of a contrarian.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2012 03:56 |  #7

I have an Acratech GV2 on the way which is quite similar to the Acratech GP. I opted to not get an RRS head in favor for Acratech's "open" ball head design. However, I am pairing the Acratech GV2 with an RRS Lever-Release Clamp because I enjoy the convenience.

After doing some research and considering what other experienced photographers have said, I chose the Acratech because I feel the "open" design of the ball head will be an asset, especially for landscape photography. It will be easy to clean if anything gunk or grit gets on the ball itself. For a head like RRS, if fine grains of sand got to the ball because of wind, lets say on a beach, you would be hard pressed to clean it yourself and will more likely than not have to send it to RRS.

Also, the Acratech GP (1 lb) is roughly half the amount of weight as the RRS BH-55 (1.9 lb). If weight is a factor, I'd strongly consider the Acratech GP.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Acratech definitely has more of a "cool factor"

Both heads are great though, so good luck!

Flickr (external link)

hihohito
225 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 12, 2012 07:03 |  #8

The RRS BH 55 works for me and no droops. No experiance with acratech.

ettsn
293 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 12, 2012 19:08 |  #9

I use an Acratech GP with an RRS lever clamp. Best of both worlds.

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 01, 2013 16:04 |  #10

What's the difference between the V2 and GP? they look the same

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2013 16:37 |  #11

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #15431997 (external link)
What's the difference between the V2 and GP? they look the same

GP can be used as a Panoramic leveling head. see end of video - http://acratech.net/pa​ges.php?pageid=14 (external link)

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 01, 2013 20:36 |  #12

Justaddwata wrote in post #15432106 (external link)
GP can be used as a Panoramic leveling head. see end of video - http://acratech.net/pa​ges.php?pageid=14 (external link)

Got it don't think I would need a GP, I recently sold a gimble head I think I made a mistake so I am either buying the V2 or another gimble trying toi make up my mind. I like the gimble for shooting birdies and for grandsons baseball games

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 01, 2013 22:44 |  #13

I picked up the GV2 after months of debating and I just couldn't be happier. The head has seen 2or3 years of use and is still rock solid st any angle.

Its super easy to clean, and hardly ever needs it. I use the standard screw clamp and have never had it come loose.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 02, 2013 15:26 |  #14

RRS all day and then some

Early Adopter

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 02, 2013 21:56 |  #15

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #15433396 (external link)
I picked up the GV2 after months of debating and I just couldn't be happier. The head has seen 2or3 years of use and is still rock solid st any angle.

Its super easy to clean, and hardly ever needs it. I use the standard screw clamp and have never had it come loose.

Looks like an awesome head and light weight

sponsored links

9,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS BH-55 VS. Acratech GP
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.