Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Faux E-Session

phoenixheat
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2012 00:08 |  #1

Well, this isn't a true E-session because the couple is not getting married (or even engaged), but I wanted to work on posing and just shooting in an e-session style. And well, this is what I came up with.

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v65/p1356247256-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v62/p1356247264-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1356251774-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v72/p1356252872-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v81/p1356258802-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v79/p1356250980-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v73/p1356255388-5.jpg

www.justinmuirphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 30, 2012 00:13 |  #2

#6 is lovely...The poses in the rest look staged and fake...Sorry, no offense intended.:)

Mark

phoenixheat
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2012 00:15 |  #3

rrblint wrote in post #15422464 (external link)
#6 is lovely...The poses in the rest look staged and fake...Sorry, no offense intended.:)

none taken. It's something I really need to work on.

leeleeRT
103 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2012 01:26 |  #4

Sometimes the best way to practice is to use couples that are actually getting married. I always start with walking photos to warm them up, and try and stay fairly far from them and get them to interact with each other - and just photograph that. Usually the guys are the tough nuts to crack, but the girl in these photos looks very uncomfortable and self conscious.

There are also little details I would watch out for. In #1 the shadows are lacking in a little detail. #2 the white balance seems a little off. In #3 I would crop those dark circles out - they don't add anything to your image. #4 has a white balance/color issue as well. #6 - it bothers the crap out of me his shoelaces are trailing on the ground. I would clone them out... but I'm picky. The set really is decent overall, just some minor issues with the post and a little nervousness from your subjects. Composition and variation in poses you tried and locations you photographed is really great. Definitely keep at it.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" - Ansel Adams
"Models make the best photographers" - Tyra Banks
www.focusure.com (external link)
5DM2/15mmfish2.8/70-200mm2.8IS/50mm1.2/105​mm2.8macro/16-35mm2.8/24-105mm4.0/etc, etc - cert. gear junkie

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2012 20:41 |  #5

I honestly don't think they're that bad.. I've seen much worse early on couples' sessions. Your colors are a little weird though, and you have a lot of blues in your whites so I'd work on fine tuning that. Perhaps a bit too much saturation overall or vibrance?

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

phoenixheat
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2012 22:44 |  #6

leeleeRT wrote in post #15422584 (external link)
Sometimes the best way to practice is to use couples that are actually getting married. I always start with walking photos to warm them up, and try and stay fairly far from them and get them to interact with each other - and just photograph that. Usually the guys are the tough nuts to crack, but the girl in these photos looks very uncomfortable and self conscious.

There are also little details I would watch out for. In #1 the shadows are lacking in a little detail. #2 the white balance seems a little off. In #3 I would crop those dark circles out - they don't add anything to your image. #4 has a white balance/color issue as well. #6 - it bothers the crap out of me his shoelaces are trailing on the ground. I would clone them out... but I'm picky. The set really is decent overall, just some minor issues with the post and a little nervousness from your subjects. Composition and variation in poses you tried and locations you photographed is really great. Definitely keep at it.

Thanks for the tips. I need a 70-200 pretty badly. hopefully I can justify one here in the next few months.

As for the girl, I could tell that she felt weird in front of the camera. Hopefully, I can work on making my subjects feel more comfortable while having their pics taken.

I will say that I should've picked up on some of that minor stuff. The shoe lace, and the w/b in some of the shots should've been corrected.

auroraskye wrote in post #15425491 (external link)
I honestly don't think they're that bad.. I've seen much worse early on couples' sessions. Your colors are a little weird though, and you have a lot of blues in your whites so I'd work on fine tuning that. Perhaps a bit too much saturation overall or vibrance?

Thanks, I actually just started using LR4 and used some presets. I tried to tweak them to really dial them in, but I think the better option would to have taken the problem images into Photoshop and just fix them the way I know how. I will say that I love the convenience factor of LR, now I just have to make sure I don't get lazy and open photoshop when it's needed.

Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 31, 2012 22:27 |  #7

Something is wrong or missing in these, I wonder if its the raw emotion that only a truely engaged couple can present?

Your photos and locations arent bad...I really think its the couple

But Kudos to them for helping you!

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 01, 2013 08:31 |  #8

Fester wrote in post #15429631 (external link)
Something is wrong or missing in these, I wonder if its the raw emotion that only a truely engaged couple can present?

Your photos and locations arent bad...I really think its the couple

But Kudos to them for helping you!

I think there is nothing wrong with the couple. I've seen plenty of engagement photos where people look stiff and uncomfortable. I really wish people would abstain from talking negatively about the individuals in posts. You don't have to be engaged to be in love. Trust me, I've photographed plenty of people - from those who were 'just dating' and those who've been married for years.. every couple is different and you don't have to have a certain life event to seem as if you're in love.. you just have to be in love and have someone who's able to capture it.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

phoenixheat
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 01, 2013 12:19 |  #9

auroraskye wrote in post #15430491 (external link)
I think there is nothing wrong with the couple. I've seen plenty of engagement photos where people look stiff and uncomfortable. I really wish people would abstain from talking negatively about the individuals in posts. You don't have to be engaged to be in love. Trust me, I've photographed plenty of people - from those who were 'just dating' and those who've been married for years.. every couple is different and you don't have to have a certain life event to seem as if you're in love.. you just have to be in love and have someone who's able to capture it.

I understand what he's saying in the comment. They are still pretty young so maybe that has something to do with it. I know we can't make clients show emotion, but I do want to keep learning on how to make a couple feel comfortable enough to be able to show those raw emotions in front of the camera.

This is all still a pretty big learning curve for me. i feel like I have a good skillset when it comes to the technical aspects of shooting people, and now I just want to hone my "people skills" to really make the shots work.

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 02, 2013 02:21 |  #10

Hey Justin... keep on practicing!

#4,5,7 there's lots of blue hues. Double check your monitor and do a quick calibration.

It's great you are using off camera lighting =) invest in some gels. They are $5 or so for a whole pack that'll get you the CTOs 1/2s, to match the WB.

We all make small mistakes such as #7 shoelace is untied, but we can learn from them and not make them again.

I enjoy the bokeh show with the xmas lights!

BTW your Pure Street Photos are looking great!!!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 06, 2013 22:46 |  #11

I really like #4.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links

1,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
Faux E-Session
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.