Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shipping Terms at DigitalRev

mpix345
Goldmember
2,863 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 02, 2013 15:33 |  #1

I am considering a purchase from DigitalRev. Never bought from them, so I was reading the "fine print" on their website and came across this:

All items purchased from DigitalRev are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier.

Link (external link)

To me that clearly means that if something happens in transit I will have to work it out with the shipper. Any way to read that differently? Would it concern you? I think the seller needs to own getting the product to me, as they are contracting with the shipper. This seems like a potentially huge hassle if something were to go wrong.

I looked at B&H's website and didn't see any similar language. Same with Adorama.

Has anyone run in to this sort of language before? Maybe Helen or Henry will chime in.

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2013 20:18 |  #2

Newegg (big electronics online retailer) has this too. Burried way down in their terms, but essentially the same thing: "risk of loss passes to the Customer upon delivery to the carrier." I wouldn't make too much of it. More important is the history of how they deal with problems, especially "concealed damage", where the box you signed for is intact and undamaged, but the stuff inside is broken.

mpix345
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,863 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 02, 2013 20:32 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #3

Yeah, I was thinking maybe it is just boilerplate type stuff. Thanks for the Newegg reference. I think they are second only to Amazon in consumer electronics transactions. I'm pretty sure they are not screwing folks over with these terms.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 03, 2013 12:05 |  #4

Ultimately, it means that you'll need to purchase insurance for damage or loss when you buy from DigitalRev. It is legalese to inform you that title to the merchandise passes onto the buyer when the seller drops it off with the carrier. If something happens in transit and the item is damaged or lost, DigitalRev is not liable. You'll have to take it up with the carrier and prove it was their fault.

On the other hand, if it was a destination contract, the seller assumes responsibility and will fight the carrier if the package is lost or damaged.

There are other legal nuances. Just save yourself a lot of hassle and make sure you can get insurance on the purchase. Most of the time, companies will help the seller make claims like this as it would hurt their business otherwise. People generally don't understand contract terms, so they could walk away from the experience with a bad taste in their mouth about the seller. However, if the claim is complicated and difficult, the seller under a shipment contract could legally walk away.

Loss is pretty straight-forward. However if damage is the issue, the seller is still responsible if it can be determined that the damage cannot be attributable to the carrier (e.g., if a lens is found to have scratches to the body, but there is no external damage to the box it had arrived in).

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

jacobwilson99
59 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 04, 2013 01:32 |  #5

Yeah. Most online sellers are like this.

roqdawg
216 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2013 04:57 |  #6

mpix345 wrote in post #15436013 (external link)
I am considering a purchase from DigitalRev.

I was curious to see if anyone would bring this up, but you may want to have a read at this topic.

https://photography-on-the.net …2404&highlight=​5d+problem

Canon 5D MkIV | 90D | 16-35mm f/2.8L III | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II | EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 600mm f/4L IS II |EF 1.4X III & 2.0X III Extenders | EF12 II & EF25 II Extension Tubes | 430EX III-RT | 600EX II-RT | 580EX II | RRS & Induro Tripods | Canon Pro-10 Printer |

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 04, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ roqdawg's post |  #7

Are they actually the lowest priced? The one time I looked at their pricing, it was quite ridiculous! I wouldn't buy anything from that perverted wanna be funny loser! That link above should be enough to steer you away from DigRev!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

mpix345
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,863 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2013 12:05 |  #8

JJD.Photography wrote in post #15443824 (external link)
Are they actually the lowest priced? The one time I looked at their pricing, it was quite ridiculous! I wouldn't buy anything from that perverted wanna be funny loser! That link above should be enough to steer you away from DigRev!

$100 lower than BH/Adorama/Amazon on Panasonic FZ200.

After exchanging emails with them I will not be purchasing.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2013 12:49 |  #9

The items sold at DigitalRev are gray market items so warranties will not apply in the US. Secondly, you'll be hit with custom charges from the courier.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2013 14:20 |  #10

JJD.Photography wrote in post #15443824 (external link)
I wouldn't buy anything from that perverted wanna be funny loser!

I think he'd be a fun guy to be friends with. DigitalRev content is better than 95% of the other stuff that's on Youtube.

That doesn't mean I'd do business with the company behind his personality.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 16:29 |  #11

Is Kei the owner of DigitalRev ? does he make the major decisions of supply chain or product quality ? I don't think so.

I like DigitalReV videos and Kei looks like a fun guy to be around . But given these stories, I would not be surprised if the business have some shady practices to make profits. I would stay away from making big purchase decisions with them.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 04, 2013 20:01 |  #12

Nathan wrote in post #15444504 (external link)
DigitalRev content is better than 95% of the other stuff that's on Youtube.

There are quite a few who do better reviews than DigitalRev. DigitalRev has a few good ones, but most of the time the video is stretched out by double because it's filled with nonsense and stupid jokes.

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2013 20:38 |  #13

I'm not saying the DigitalRev channel is any good. I find it amusing enough to watch from time to time. There's plenty of better Youtube content... but as far as photography stuff goes, I have a lynda.com account I'd rather spend my time watching tutorials.

sponsored links

1,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shipping Terms at DigitalRev
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.