Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Dec 2012 (Monday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Knot is a $170/month!

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2012 10:42 |  #1

That's $2,040 a year for a listing in the Washington D.C. market. Maybe I am just remembering wrong what I read on here at somepoint, but my recollection is that pricing has to be pretty competitive on there to the point that many photographers avoid the site for that reason alone. I could potentially be willing to spend that much cash down the road, but I'd need to be booking weddings in the 2-3K range (or higher, really) to justify the expense.

What has everyone's experiences with The Knot been?

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

sponsored links
TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2012 10:48 |  #2

I see Wedding Wire has $100/$250/$400 a month packages, so maybe I underestimating the pricing on these sites a bit. Still I ask what everyone's experiences have been and if it's worth it.

Website (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,624 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2012 10:54 |  #3

I've never used The Knot, ( I've heard other pros say that they stay away from The Knot. ) but I did advertise for a couple of years on Wedding Wire. I paid them about $1400/yr if I recall to be listed on the first page. I booked one wedding last year as a direct result from WW.

This year I dropped WW and instead spent my money on setting up a booth at a bridal show. I've booked 7 weddings from that one show. Needless to say, I will be doing more shows.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 31, 2012 11:07 |  #4

jcolman wrote in post #15427441 (external link)
I've never used The Knot, ( I've heard other pros say that they stay away from The Knot. ) but I did advertise for a couple of years on Wedding Wire. I paid them about $1400/yr if I recall to be listed on the first page. I booked one wedding last year as a direct result from WW.

This year I dropped WW and instead spent my money on setting up a booth at a bridal show. I've booked 7 weddings from that one show. Needless to say, I will be doing more shows.

We have no experience on the knot or wedding wire. We have done our research and as is with life itself, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. Just placing an ad will not bring clients...you have to roll up your sleeves and get in the fight. Get out there as Jim did. Get physically in front of the brides. Sell your personality...that is what they want to purchase.

These high dollar wedding sites that promise you first page listings for $$$/month makes me wonder........how can everyone be on the first page?

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 31, 2012 11:38 |  #5

cbknight wrote in post #15427489 (external link)
These high dollar wedding sites that promise you first page listings for $$$/month makes me wonder........how can everyone be on the first page?

Getting everyone on the first page is easy if you only have one (albeit long) page of listings. Well that's how I'd do it.

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2012 12:41 |  #6

I think part of it is that if you don't pay the big bucks they won't consider you for the front page and just rotate people in. With a larger page and tons of impressions, you get a lot of permutations and probably only miss the front page like 1 out of 100 times. Wedding wire did say their $250/month package was sold out in my area, so there's a limit to it even if just to get you to buy the $400/month package.

I had a $10/month listing on second shooters last year that worked out pretty well. I only had it for about six months or so, and got a $300 second shoot and a normal $250 main photographer/non-wedding gig out it. The guy asked me to second shoot again for $300, but I was already booked that day. I was really surprised so few people paid the $10 month (like 2 or 3 others in my area). Even if the investment paid off, I was surprised I only got two contacts from it. I guess if it's $10 a month then not a lot of people use the site.

Those kinds of listings make sense and I would conceivably pay thousands to be on a site like The Knot but not if I am paying that money to shoot a price points where I'm not making money anyways. I have noticed companies like "The Pros" and "George Street Wedding and Video" prominently featured on Wedding Wire, The Knot, etc. They're studios that employ dozens of wedding photographers for those unfamiliar with them.

Website (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2012 17:48 |  #7

The Knot is where brides get those annoying questionnaires and irrelevant checklists to harass potential photographers with. I have a fundamental issue with supporting that.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 31, 2012 18:12 |  #8

i have been on the knot for a few years. Every time i get ready to drop it, i book a big dollar wedding. well more than enough to cover the expense for a year or two.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

NLe
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 31, 2012 22:18 |  #9

I think it's a good deal because a lot of brides use it. Plus there's more to it then just being on the first page - if they provide a link to your own website it will help boost up your ranking to the first page of a local search on google if you play it correctly.

ShootingSacramento.com (external link)

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2013 21:36 |  #10

cdifoto wrote in post #15428781 (external link)
The Knot is where brides get those annoying questionnaires and irrelevant checklists to harass potential photographers with. I have a fundamental issue with supporting that.

That too. Tangentially related to this, I've seen some stuff recently about how you (the B+G) should never pay in full for a wedding ahead of time while the photography industry, of course, says the B+G must always pay in full in advance. Both sides have a point. I accidentally found out that the most talented wedding photographer I ever second shot for overbooked himself in the mid-2000s, didn't deliver on a bunch of weddings and declared bankruptcy. It's fairly easy to discover with a Google search, but I never in a million years would have suspected it since he's really good and has a great personality (his victims said that, too). The bad news is he does *a lot* of mufti-day Indian weddings now and I already wondered how he could possibly keep up with post-production when he's basically shooting close to three weddings a week.

Still though, this is something fairly 1 in a 100 and something that's it's easy to research. It's much more common for the B+G to fail to pay but that's not something 'The Knot' will bring up.

Website (external link)

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 03, 2013 22:18 |  #11

booked a wedding from my weddingwire account, paid 0. boom in their faces!

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 03, 2013 22:35 |  #12

Hey, I'm in the DC area and if you're ever looking for a second, let me know :)

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

sponsored links

2,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Knot is a $170/month!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.