Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jan 2013 (Friday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Received a brand new with internal dusts

jason118
129 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 08:22 |  #1

I was excited for 5 mins before I used a flash light to inspect the new 70-200 f2.8 is II I just received. Couple white particles/dusts sit on different internal elements and moving along with the element when I turned the zoom ring. They are pretty good size and obviously noticable which I think it is not acceptable for a $2000 new lens with internal zoom sys. Just wondering how offen guys receive a new lens with a similar internal dust issue. I found my recent purchased 100mm F2.8 IS Macro also has dust inside but they are pretty tiny and I can live with that. Canon ever advertised their dust-free production line in a video last year but I think they didn't do a good job this time.

Requested an exchange with the retailer. I have been told retailer cannot inspect lenses prior to shipping under the terms of their supplier agreements.

Canon EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D, Canon 24-70 F2.8 II, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II, Canon 85mm F1.2 II, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Canon 1.4X III

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 04, 2013 09:06 |  #2

That would make sense, it would break the factory seals and it also protects you, as the consumer, so you don't get a lens that was used and just repackaged and sold as new.

I would also request an exchange, or send it to Canon for a full check and clean (although that can have mixed results).

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

jhanna1701
44 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 04, 2013 09:19 |  #3

jason118 wrote in post #15442982 (external link)
I was excited for 5 mins before I used a flash light to inspect the new 70-200 f2.8 is II I just received. Couple white particles/dusts sit on different internal elements and moving along with the element when I turned the zoom ring. They are pretty good size and obviously noticable which I think it is not acceptable for a $2000 new lens with internal zoom sys. Just wondering how offen guys receive a new lens with a similar internal dust issue. I found my recent purchased 100mm F2.8 IS Macro also has dust inside but they are pretty tiny and I can live with that. Canon ever advertised their dust-free production line in a video last year but I think they didn't do a good job this time.

Requested an exchange with the retailer. I have been told retailer cannot inspect lenses prior to shipping under the terms of their supplier agreements.

Hmm, very disheartening... I've got that exact lens arriving today. I would send it back immediately.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD (for sale)
Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkI
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

filmjuicer
48 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 04, 2013 09:25 |  #4

I'm pretty sure that lenses are not "factory sealed" and neither is most (if not all) Canon still equipment. So while it is conceivable that the lens could have been opened and repacked by someone, I doubt it. Most likely the lens came that way from Japan. These things happen, and while it will not most likely not affect your images at all, I would probably not be happy either. So, if the retailer is willing to exchange, then I would persue that option. (Perhaps they'd be willing to inspect the replacement lens before shipping it back to you...?)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 04, 2013 09:34 |  #5

jason118 wrote in post #15442982 (external link)

Two things you should never do:

1. Never look into the kitchen of your favorite restaurant
2. Never shine a flashlight into a lens

Many lenses will show some internal dust motes--they always have. A few dust motes do not affect the optical or mechanical function of the lens. It's not a reason to reject a lens.

I don't know what Canon may have advertised last year, but the pictures of their assembly line I've seen do not portray a dust-free "clean room" facility by any means. Clean rooms are quite expensive propositions to maintain and operate.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2013 09:39 as a reply to  @ filmjuicer's post |  #6

I think that it would be exceptionally hard to be 100% dust free. My guess is most new lenses would have a little bit of dust inside.

You can try to exchange for one without, but you might be hard pressed to find one (if you're inspecting it that hard).

Unless it is a huge speck (and even if it is a large dust speck), chances are it will not affect the image (even if you stop down to f/32).

Think of it as the special Canon dust that you paid extra for.

RD beat me to it!

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

jason118
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 09:41 |  #7

filmjuicer wrote in post #15443205 (external link)
I'm pretty sure that lenses are not "factory sealed" and neither is most (if not all) Canon still equipment. So while it is conceivable that the lens could have been opened and repacked by someone, I doubt it. Most likely the lens came that way from Japan. These things happen, and while it will not most likely not affect your images at all, I would probably not be happy either. So, if the retailer is willing to exchange, then I would persue that option. (Perhaps they'd be willing to inspect the replacement lens before shipping it back to you...?)

CR told me they can not inspect the replacement lens due to the supplier agrrement from Canon. It's difficult to tell whether or not the box been opened before as the way Canon sealed the boxes. I wish they will not repack this lens and pass it to the next customer.

Canon EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D, Canon 24-70 F2.8 II, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II, Canon 85mm F1.2 II, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Canon 1.4X III

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 09:51 |  #8

Personally, I would not return it unless you don't want that particular lens. If you have them do an exchange, you are likely going to get another one that is the same.

I agree with RDKirk. I don't think I've ever shined a flashlight into a new lens upon receipt, or at any time during its life unless I had some problem I was trying to diagnose. The first thing I do is mount it on my camera and start taking pictures with it to see how it performs. Whatever you are seeing is unlikely to have any affect whatsoever on the image. To me, this would be like rejecting delivery of a new car because you find a couple spots of dirt on the frame rail under the hood of the car.

Or you could keep exchanging them so that Canon has more perfect refurbs for people to buy. :)

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

jason118
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 10:17 |  #9

convergent wrote in post #15443291 (external link)
Personally, I would not return it unless you don't want that particular lens. If you have them do an exchange, you are likely going to get another one that is the same.

I agree with RDKirk. I don't think I've ever shined a flashlight into a new lens upon receipt, or at any time during its life unless I had some problem I was trying to diagnose. The first thing I do is mount it on my camera and start taking pictures with it to see how it performs. Whatever you are seeing is unlikely to have any affect whatsoever on the image. To me, this would be like rejecting delivery of a new car because you find a couple spots of dirt on the frame rail under the hood of the car.

Or you could keep exchanging them so that Canon has more perfect refurbs for people to buy. :)

I am sorry if Canon use it as an excuse for jacking up the new release lens' price .

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 04, 2013 10:52 |  #10

RDKirk wrote in post #15443236 (external link)
Two things you should never do:

1. Never look into the kitchen of your favorite restaurant
2. Never shine a flashlight into a lens

rules to live by....:)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2013 10:56 |  #11

I would just go out and enjoy it. I picked up a new Tamron 17-50 with some dust inside and was fine. I ended up shooting at the sky at f22 a few months after I have been using it and being happy with it and did not noticed the dust at all.

Not getting dust inside a lens is like not getting fingerprints on a new phone. It's gonna happen.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 04, 2013 12:41 |  #12

doesnt make a difference if theres a little dust inside. doesnt harm anything and after about a month of using it dust will be there anyways.

as long as it didnt come broken or making weird sounds... just go shoot and enjoy

Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 05, 2013 21:21 |  #13

For 2k they can make sure there is no dust inside - the lens is weather sealed and doesn't exchange air w/ the environment - some air moves around internally, I would imagine you would have to be doing mega quick zooms to have much risk of dust flying around on the inside from zooming. Loose dust is simply unacceptable.

I just double checked any my 70-200 has zero dust, as the 17-55 neither and it isn't weather sealed.

If it bothers you send it back. I would indeed take several reference shots that you can reproduce exactly for the replacement lens. The 24-70 2.8 II is having some QC issues as detailed in some other websites and lens rental companies.

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 06, 2013 08:49 |  #14

Busted Knuckles wrote in post #15450122 (external link)
For 2k they can make sure there is no dust inside

Nope. A "clean room" assembly environment that would guarantee no dust would drive up the price considerably.

I just double checked any my 70-200 has zero dust, as the 17-55 neither and it isn't weather sealed.

Use a loupe and a brighter light.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 06, 2013 09:35 |  #15

The dust free Canon lens is a myth.

sponsored links

1,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Received a brand new with internal dusts
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.