Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great business idea! I think?!

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 04, 2013 12:14 as a reply to  @ post 15443864 |  #31

Guy I went to school with apparently tried something similar when he moved out to Western Canada. He didn't make a huge profit and it was a real hit and miss thing on sales. He stopped doing the door to door thing after his last customer was this cute young house wife. She answered the door, was super friendly, appeared very interested in what he was selling with the pre-printed photo of their few acres.

Then she reached for something on a table just inside the door, and next thing the guy knew she was screaming "perv!" and he took a face (and mouth) full of high powered bear spray. (Like pepper spray, but 'legal' in Canada, and designed to shoot further than most little pocket sized bottles seen in other countries for self defence.)

So, no real help business wise, but if you're going door to door I suggest always keeping a clip board or something similar in your hand that you can use to shield your face quickly while you run away if things go bad.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links
breney
THREAD ­ STARTER
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 04, 2013 12:38 |  #32

Luckless wrote in post #15443956 (external link)
Guy I went to school with apparently tried something similar when he moved out to Western Canada. He didn't make a huge profit and it was a real hit and miss thing on sales. He stopped doing the door to door thing after his last customer was this cute young house wife. She answered the door, was super friendly, appeared very interested in what he was selling with the pre-printed photo of their few acres.

Then she reached for something on a table just inside the door, and next thing the guy knew she was screaming "perv!" and he took a face (and mouth) full of high powered bear spray. (Like pepper spray, but 'legal' in Canada, and designed to shoot further than most little pocket sized bottles seen in other countries for self defence.)

So, no real help business wise, but if you're going door to door I suggest always keeping a clip board or something similar in your hand that you can use to shield your face quickly while you run away if things go bad.

Poor fellow getting sprayed with that stuff! I know I shouldn't but I laughed so hard at that story!

Canon 40D gripped • Canon 300D Gripped • Tamron 17-50 f2.8 • Sigma 70-200 f2.8 • Canon 28-200 f3.5-5.6 · Canon 50mm f1.8 •

McMurry ­ Pet ­ Photo
33 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 04, 2013 12:44 as a reply to  @ post 15443864 |  #33

Personally I think you would do a LOT better if you showed up to the potential clients homes with a printed and mounted ( maybe re-useable low cost frame) pic than selling off a Ipad or laptop.
This is essentially going to be an impulse buy and nothing works better for that than a ready to go, here you are take it now product.

I agree with this 100%. A tangible object works best with impulse buying which is exactly what you are asking clients to do.

You just need to have confidence in your work to spend so much without any guarantee of returns.

Gear! (external link)

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 04, 2013 14:46 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15443025 (external link)
Unfortunately, that's very accurate. It is no longer legal to operate any type of RC device in US airspace for commercial use, regardless of altitude or weight:

MI6 Films Grounded for RC (external link)

There is an exemption for all recreational use (external link), but it does look like the days of unmanned aerial photography for profit in the US are over.

I know the OP is in Ireland, but the information will probably be useful for someone else.

The land of the free.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 04, 2013 14:55 |  #35

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15441267 (external link)
I know a couple guys that do something similar but with radio controlled helicopters.

RC Helicopter + GoPro or DSLR set to infinity and you could be in business.

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15443025 (external link)
Unfortunately, that's very accurate. It is no longer legal to operate any type of RC device in US airspace for commercial use, regardless of altitude or weight:

MI6 Films Grounded for RC (external link)

There is an exemption for all recreational use (external link), but it does look like the days of unmanned aerial photography for profit in the US are over.

I know the OP is in Ireland, but the information will probably be useful for someone else.

Highly illegal in the USA for commercial purposes at the moment. And even if it's for personal use, you need to have waivers and insurance along with permission from local government before flying over other people's property. FAA is still negotiating with the AMA and a couple other agencies over this issue. It's not a done deal as of December 2012. That was the last email I got about it. And I am waiting anxiously as both an avid RC pilot and photographer/videograp​her!

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 05, 2013 10:22 |  #36

Unless the home is very unique and different, and the selling price is high, I would not see this as a venture worth putting a lot of money into before having any clients. These days one home looks so much like the one next door in a subdivision. You'd have to have a special unique home to want to have an aerial photo of it in my opinion.

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 05, 2013 15:06 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

ScubaDude wrote in post #15444643 (external link)
The land of the free.

Exactly!

I know a lot of americans think of Oz as the wild frontier but it seems they are so much more regulated and restricted than we are here and so pedantic as well.
It seems from what I read everyone has a pre occupation with safety, insurance and getting sued.

I also feel sorry for the people there the way they are now restricted and inconvinenced in things like this due to " Security " issues. Seems every far fetched scenario is outlawed or restricted now and the people have indeed lost a lot of their freedoms. Don't get me started on the Gun thing. That will be the next thing millions of law abiding people will loose because of the actions of a few nut cases that are probably the result of a whole load of other issues that are overlooked and swept under the table in favour of media beatups and rabble rousing.

I'd like to visit the US one day but after hearing multiple accounts from friends and family, including a couple of US citizen mates about how long it takes to get through customs there when going in and out of the place, I'm far less enthused!

There seems to be a lot of negativity to this idea ( mainly from Americans worried about legalities that probably don't apply to the OP,) but I certainly think that the idea
is at very least worth taking to the next step and getting some potential client feed back.

If the homework is done properly, The op should have a good idea going in of how viable the idea is. I don't think for a minute it's going to be a walk in the park and like any other initiative there will be the ups and downs but so what? Nothings going to be served up on a golden platter.

IF it's got no chnce of being successful that ought to be apparent, If it has potential, that should be evident as well and if the OP invests a few hundred pounds and it falls on it's arse then that's not going to break him and there's still a chance another off shoot of the idea may show up and that could be very successful.

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.

I was looking at RC helis after my last reply and was surprised to see how much they have come down in price. The difficulty in flying them hasn't changed though.
I also saw where the " Drones" and quad copters have become very popular and cheap as well. There are models that are now designed to carry Gopros available here for $500 and have in excess of 30 min flight time on a single battery charge.

There are some inspirational Vids on you tube done with the things.
I think it likley I might buy myself a cheapie to learn on and then get a decent one later on. There are a few things I could do with one even for personal projects and ideas that would make one worthwhile .

On a business level, I was talking to some Boat enthuasists the other week and they were all interested in getting pics of their boat. I thought it would be like a lot of other things, made out to be a real winner but when time came to put their hands in their pocket, the enthuasiam and merit of the idea would quickly fade.
I got the impression this was unexpectedly not the case.

When Looking at the quad copter vids, I though how great one would be for this application. Not only could you get some great views of the boats out on the water but also be able to offer Video footage of them sailing along like a full on promo or advertisement.

A lot of these boaties have a real pre-occupation with their floating money pits so I reckon there would be enough that would love something like that to make the investment in a copter have a very good return.

Wouldn't take much more than a sign at the local marina a friend owns and runs to find out in any event.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 06, 2013 01:05 |  #38

glumpy wrote in post #15448784 (external link)
There seems to be a lot of negativity to this idea ( mainly from Americans worried about legalities that probably don't apply to the OP,) but I certainly think that the idea
is at very least worth taking to the next step and getting some potential client feed back.

Not negativity towards the idea...just warnings for anyone in the USA. All it will take is one publicized screw-up to ruin any chance of this becoming a reality for those of us who really want to do it commercially.
It really is a great idea and I used to do it for golf courses and other large properties.

A second point that is part of the issue beyond security is risk of injury, death, damage to property. These are not toys we're discussing. Even the smallest camera ships are still a couple of pounds that will at some point crash. It's a matter of when...not if...they will crash. Even the most experienced pilot can lose control or have a mechanical failure.
The model aircraft community in the USA has a governing body that provides insurance for it's members should an incident occur. By opening the flood gates to allow photo and video people to fly RC and not having them under that same blanket can potentially cause major problems. I get asked constantly about heli's as I've been flying them plus airplanes for over 25 years. There is a significant learning curve. The clubs that we are members of provide instruction for anyone interested provided they are members of the national organization and covered under the insurance I mentioned.
Yes quadcopters are the rage now because they are easier to fly but there is still a learning curve. And thats just learning to control the aircraft. To get great video and photos takes a lot more skill, practice and effort.

Sorry to rant a bit but this is an issue near my heart as it's my two passions combined. And any negativity sensed is towards the government's involvement in this issue and the speed...or lack of speed...that they are dealing with this...not towards the idea.

So if you are lucky enough to be in a country where this is still a legal pastime, all I ask is be smart, be safe, and Happy Flying! Let's see some video and pics!

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

sponsored links

3,981 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great business idea! I think?!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.