Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 04, 2013 13:39 |  #4501

Tareq wrote in post #15444262 (external link)
Very smart you people, yes, that was the issue, it has the space and i figured out just when i left there, sure next time when i will shoot i will put it the first one closest to the lens.

But, if i will use another filter with it such as .6ND or .9GND, which one should be first closest to the lens? Sorry, i mean only ND and CPL, i always put my GND last further away from the lens if used with other filters, if only 1 filter i use then i should be smart to put any single filter on the closest slot of the holder to lens.

Big stopper always closest to the lens then it doesnt matter for the CPL or GND etc.

With regards to timings I find that by big stopper is 11 stops (yours may differ).

Procedure I use - I usually set up everything without the big stopper but with any CPL and GND and take a test shot. I then click the dial 33 times (3rd stop increments for 11 stops). I then put the big stopper back on and take the shot. If the 33 clicks of the exposure dial takes me past the 30 second maximum I switch to bulb mode. If for example I get to 30 seconds on the 27th cllick I know that I still need to go another 6 clicks (2 stops). I would then go to bulb mode and take an exposure of 2 minutes. Obviously this will vary depending on the shot but its just an explanation on how I do it. Others may have better methods.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

sponsored links
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 13:40 |  #4502

Tomorrow i will have a hard work to clean my camera sensor and lens and the filters, WOW, i just took out the filters for the first time and i can see the finger prints and smudges are grown already and spread, I have to buy a special gloves that ar non prints free smudges then.

This is the full dust smudges shot for you QueenChatty, 1D3 + 24-105@24mm, BigStopper+LEE 0.6ND

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1167.photobuck​et.com …/1D3_8996_zps4a​249840.jpg (external link)

Next time i will make it better cleaner shot!

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 04, 2013 13:49 |  #4503

Here is a trick I picked up from Lance Kemig that I use for night photography, but also with a big stopper.

Knowing that I want to shoot at 100 ISO, I set the camera at 6400 ISO. Then I determine my exposure. I know that 1 second at 6400 ISO is 1 minute at 100 ISO. So 2 seconds is 2 minutes, and so on.

So I do all of my test shots at a high ISO and short shutter speed and then switch to a lower ISo when everything is dialed in. Saves a significant amount of time.

http://www.thenightsky​e.com …/images/High-ISO-test.pdf (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

perdido_y_contento
344 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 04, 2013 13:53 |  #4504

To focus with the big stopper you'll have to compose and focus before putting the filter in place and then click your lens onto manual focus.That way the lens won't hunt for focus through the dark filter.

As xpfloyd says, it should be the the closest filter to the lens to stop any ambient light getting between it and the lens. You should also cover your viewfinder during each exposure to stop light entering the camera from the back.

I pretty much always use bulb mode and a remote shutter release when shooting with the Big stopper. And again as xpfloyd says above, shoot a test shot from your best estimate in terms of length of exposure and take it from there.

40D EOS
www.flickr.com/photos/​been_snapping/ (external link)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 04, 2013 13:59 |  #4505

perdido_y_contento wrote in post #15444401 (external link)
To focus with the big stopper you'll have to compose and focus before putting the filter in place and then click your lens onto manual focus.That way the lens won't hunt for focus through the dark filter.

Absolutely correct - it is the best method and least time consuming method.

As xpfloyd says, it should be the the closest filter to the lens to stop any ambient light getting between it and the lens. You should also cover your viewfinder during each exposure to stop light entering the camera from the back.

I didn't know that, but I have always kept it closest to the lens.

I pretty much always use bulb mode and a remote shutter release when shooting with the Big stopper.

^ - yup, for maximum stability too.

SmugMug (external link)

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 14:00 |  #4506

I focus prior ro placing the filter then turning the lens to MF, and using high end tripod+ballhead and a timer cable release and the table attached with LEE BS for starter, it was my first time with BS and was in hurry, so i will take my time to do it properly and see what i will find and see, the problem is i forgot when i used that LEE table that i added another ND filter which will make a big difference, next time i will use only Big Stopper and maybe i will throw GND instead of ND for sky at least.

By the way, this is not the first time i use 10-stop filter, i have B+W 10 stop filter i used before in the past back in 2009.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,544 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 04, 2013 14:04 |  #4507

Beautiful, calm and soothing image Tareq...a little PS can clear up those spots.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 14:14 |  #4508

TRhoads wrote in post #15444445 (external link)
Beautiful, calm and soothing image Tareq...a little PS can clear up those spots.

In fact i spent about 5-8 minutes to clean most of it anyway, so lazy to do it complete, if i planned to post it full clean then i will never post it here.

Well, i still don't like the shot, i feel there is no impact or factor in that place, no much colors, no clouds moving, no great rocks around and green or colorful, so only 3 elements there, solid normal rocks, sea water, and the dull flat sky.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 04, 2013 14:28 |  #4509

Tareq wrote in post #15444336 (external link)
Tomorrow i will have a hard work to clean my camera sensor and lens and the filters, WOW, i just took out the filters for the first time and i can see the finger prints and smudges are grown already and spread, I have to buy a special gloves that ar non prints free smudges then.

This is the full dust smudges shot for you QueenChatty, 1D3 + 24-105@24mm, BigStopper+LEE 0.6ND

Next time i will make it better cleaner shot!

Even with the smudges that is a nice image thanks for sharing.:)

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 14:36 |  #4510

QueenChatty wrote in post #15444540 (external link)
Even with the smudges that is a nice image thanks for sharing.:)

You welcome!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

GenoPrice
170 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 15:14 |  #4511

Just trying out my Hitech 10 stop

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8334612036_5f51a787e2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/49046617@N08/8​334612036/  (external link)
Curiuum (external link) by Geno33 (external link), on Flickr

Geno

GenoPrice
170 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 04, 2013 15:17 |  #4512

Another pic with Hitech 10 stopper

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8334639720_76a09738c2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/49046617@N08/8​334639720/  (external link)
Waterfall (external link) by Geno33 (external link), on Flickr

Geno

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 04, 2013 15:54 |  #4513

Tareq wrote in post #15444262 (external link)
Very smart you people, yes, that was the issue, it has the space and i figured out just when i left there, sure next time when i will shoot i will put it the first one closest to the lens.

But, if i will use another filter with it such as .6ND or .9GND, which one should be first closest to the lens? Sorry, i mean only ND and CPL, i always put my GND last further away from the lens if used with other filters, if only 1 filter i use then i should be smart to put any single filter on the closest slot of the holder to lens.

Have the strongest filter closest to the lens. Any reflection in the other filters will be reduced just as much as the main light going through the filter. And any light leakage in front of the strongest filter will be reduced as much as the main light since it has to go through the big stopper.

By the way - I have seen examples where one or two users of cheaper filters have decided/needed to put black tape on the front of their lens just because the bad coating of their filter have made the white text on the front of the lens visible in the reflection. But the big stopper should be good enough that you don't need that as long as it is close enough to the lens.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,248 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2013 15:55 |  #4514

Tareq - Great light on the rocks & colours.

Geno - Cool colours too ;)

With experience the exposure time calculations get easier.

And I don't know the fuss over focusing. Shooting landscapes & long exposures it's fairly safe to presume small apertures are going to be used. My 17-40L is virtually permanently focused at 1 metre for hyperfocal & at f/10 or smaller there's no need to worry about it. In bright daylight live view usually allows me to compose too without removing the filter.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 04, 2013 16:08 |  #4515

Well, i never take my first mistake post as a real shoot, it was a big stupid mistake and i only took 2 shots with my 1Ds3+16-35 and Big Stopper, both were out of focus and i left immediately, i was in hurry after that 1Ds3 2 shots, so both shots are nothing of true skill, i did shoot thousands with 1Ds3 and filters, maybe not with Big Stopper but with B+W, it is only that the reflection was there, and i knew it from the time i left and then saw it on my computer, impossible i will make same mistake again if i am there on time and not in hurry, if i am in hurry i will always have hundreds mistakes, and know what? It is good i posted this so some beginners will learn for those mistakes.

I don't feel i really want to go tomorrow to shoot again, i posted one above even not great so i will not have much different than that and i don't know any another place nearby, wish if i live in places as yours people then you will see what i can do.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,094,096 views & 9,901 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.