Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jan 2013 (Friday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Struggling with choices! 6d, 7D or refurb 5DMIII?

71buickfreak
104 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 04, 2013 00:24 |  #1

I am a pro, I write for automotive magazines, mostly shooting tech- lots of welding, greasy parts, dirty, nasty environments. Up until now, I have been using rebel-series cameras because of that. I don't shoot a lot of features, but I do so every once in a while. I also shoot drag racing and road racing couple times a year. I have several crop lenses, only 2 EF lenses (nifty fifty and a cheap 70-300 which I never use). My main lenses are a tamron 17-270 and the kit lens for the T1i which I mostly use in the shop when things are nasty.

I also do a lot of video. I am currently using a canon HFM41 for my tech videos. It does quite well in the studio and in the field. It doesn't look as "professional" as a higher end vid cam, but it works and I get good results.

I am wanting to upgrade. I hate flashing under a car, it looks horrible and flash burn is inevitable. I can always add light, but they get in the way when you are working on the vehicle and what works for one shot does not always work for the next. I typically shoot my T1i at 800-1600 in the shop.

I have looked at the 7D, I really like it, it works with crop lenses, has really fast FPS which I like for racing BUT then I saw the 6D two weeks ago. I love the full frame, the extremely high ISO capability, WiFi, GPS, all that stuff. It shoots good video, has the mic jack (the T1i does not have a mic jack, which is why I don't use it for video much, I use wireless lav mics), all the good stuff at a great price. The biggest issues are this- slower FPS, which I only need occassionally, I have to buy EF lenses (I need some L glass, but it's expensive to do it all at once), and it's not a 5DMIII.

Tonight I was reading a thread that mentioned the refurb 5DmIIIs, while the price is up from when it was posted, I can still swing it, but then I have less for L glass.

I don't know what to do. I know the 7D will be a huge jump in quality, but so will the 6d and the 5DmIII even moreso. If I buy a 7D, I will likely regret not going full frame when I had the money. I can't afford a new 5DMiii, so refurb would be my only option. I have had 4 rebels and they have served me very well. I put 76k on my XTi and it is still working. My 11 year old won a blue ribbon at the fair shooting my 10D when he was 9. I really want to upgrade, but I need some help making the decision. The 6D fills the void between the 7d and 5dM3, but I still have to get all new glass. My son will get the T3i, so no point in selling it. I'm also nervous bringing 3k worth of gear under a car or in front of a welder. Ever camera body (and even a few lens filters) I have has tiny little slag burns on them. It's a tough choice for me. I live off my cameras, but spending 3-4k on new gear is tough. Thoughts?

Canon 5DM3
Canon 24-105L
Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk 1
Canon 430EX

sponsored links
jacobwilson99
59 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 04, 2013 01:34 |  #2

If you can throw down the cash, I'd say go for the 5Diii. From what I've been seeing, it's build quality alone is worth the $$ over the 6D.

Jon_Doh
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2013 08:03 |  #3

The 7D won't pick up the detail of either the 6d or 5d III due to its crop sensor. The 6D is a great camera, but unlike NIkon Canon has stripped a lot of pro features from it. If you can pick up a 5D III refurbished in your budget range go for it. It has the pro features and build you'll need if you intend to shoot professionally.

I use a Kodak Brownie

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,461 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2013 08:24 |  #4

You need lensed before expensive body, IMHO.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 04, 2013 08:46 |  #5

Normally I would say if you can swing for the 5D3 go for it - but in reality you don't have any decent glass to use with it to get the most out of the FF quality you desire. You would be losing your wide focal lengths until you could buy another lens - unless you plan to continue using your other cameras for the wide shtos until you can fill the void of EF glass.

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2013 11:01 as a reply to  @ Christina.DazzleByDesign's post |  #6

If you can get a 5d3 then you wont feel the need up upgrade your body for quite some time.
Its a significant upgrade from a Rebel.

the 6d is awesome too and I really like my 7d.
Thats a tough choice.
The 7d is the cheapest of the bunch but its the oldest too.
It will leave you the most money for better lenses which is very important too.
Good luck!

My Flickr (external link)

Baggs
191 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 04, 2013 11:52 |  #7

As an owner of a 7D and 5D3, I'd say 7D + EF (not EF-S) glass.

Why? Glass. If you truly want to have the "wow" factor in your photos using the 5D3, you'd need better glass. The 7D has very good image quality and has proven to be a workhorse for me. If you feed it enough light you will probably be very happy with the results. Good luck in your decision and be happy with whatever you choose - at the end of the day, all 3 are great cameras.

Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II | Tokina 12-24 | Canon 600EX-RT

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2013 12:22 |  #8

71buickfreak wrote in post #15442223 (external link)
I am a pro, I write for automotive magazines, mostly shooting tech- lots of welding, greasy parts, dirty, nasty environments. Up until now, I have been using rebel-series cameras because of that. I don't shoot a lot of features, but I do so every once in a while. I also shoot drag racing and road racing couple times a year. I have several crop lenses, only 2 EF lenses (nifty fifty and a cheap 70-300 which I never use). My main lenses are a tamron 17-270 and the kit lens for the T1i which I mostly use in the shop when things are nasty.

I also do a lot of video. I am currently using a canon HFM41 for my tech videos. It does quite well in the studio and in the field. It doesn't look as "professional" as a higher end vid cam, but it works and I get good results.

I am wanting to upgrade. I hate flashing under a car, it looks horrible and flash burn is inevitable. I can always add light, but they get in the way when you are working on the vehicle and what works for one shot does not always work for the next. I typically shoot my T1i at 800-1600 in the shop.

I have looked at the 7D, I really like it, it works with crop lenses, has really fast FPS which I like for racing BUT then I saw the 6D two weeks ago. I love the full frame, the extremely high ISO capability, WiFi, GPS, all that stuff. It shoots good video, has the mic jack (the T1i does not have a mic jack, which is why I don't use it for video much, I use wireless lav mics), all the good stuff at a great price. The biggest issues are this- slower FPS, which I only need occassionally, I have to buy EF lenses (I need some L glass, but it's expensive to do it all at once), and it's not a 5DMIII.

Tonight I was reading a thread that mentioned the refurb 5DmIIIs, while the price is up from when it was posted, I can still swing it, but then I have less for L glass.

I don't know what to do. I know the 7D will be a huge jump in quality, but so will the 6d and the 5DmIII even moreso. If I buy a 7D, I will likely regret not going full frame when I had the money. I can't afford a new 5DMiii, so refurb would be my only option. I have had 4 rebels and they have served me very well. I put 76k on my XTi and it is still working. My 11 year old won a blue ribbon at the fair shooting my 10D when he was 9. I really want to upgrade, but I need some help making the decision. The 6D fills the void between the 7d and 5dM3, but I still have to get all new glass. My son will get the T3i, so no point in selling it. I'm also nervous bringing 3k worth of gear under a car or in front of a welder. Ever camera body (and even a few lens filters) I have has tiny little slag burns on them. It's a tough choice for me. I live off my cameras, but spending 3-4k on new gear is tough. Thoughts?

if you shoot professionally and can deduct camera gear off taxes then the 5DmkIII is the way to go

71buickfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 04, 2013 13:30 |  #9

I could certainly deduct it and I would. The main issue is cutting loose of the funds to purchase the camera AND at least one piece of L glass. Likely the 28-105 to start with, that would cover the majority of what I do in the shop. Even at refurb pricing and buying a used lens, I am looking at 3500, that's a grand over my budget. I currently don't use Wifi now, but I really like the idea of it. I am using an infrared remote and corded trigger for some shots.

Canon 5DM3
Canon 24-105L
Canon 430EX

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2013 14:42 |  #10

If your budget is $2500 get the 6D and 24-105L $2600 @B&H.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 04, 2013 14:56 |  #11

Dirty, nasty, filthy enviroments is what the 1 series were built to handle. Check out a used 1d mkiii and some used L glass and see if that would work for you. Just a suggestion. If you need a receipt then I'd bite the bullet and go for the 5d mkiii kit with the 24-105L

1D MKiii thread if you would like to check it out.
https://photography-on-the.net …ghlight=1D+mkii​i&page=456

renodcc
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 04, 2013 16:25 |  #12

Regarding 7d vs 6d. I had a 60d last two years , rebel before that. Just upgraded to 6d had second thoughts up until I looked at the pictures my 6d makes with sigma 50 1.4 compared to sigma 30 and 60d....second thought gone

71buickfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 05, 2013 18:18 |  #13

So I have found a 5DMKiii with the 24-105L for 3K. That is a pretty nice lens, correct? It also has a couple of extras like a lens filter and a couple of CF cards. This is the way I am going to go. I really wanted the WiFi, but I like the faster FPS of the 5DMKiii. I want to build up my collection of glass, but that stuff is expensive. I think I would be wasting it with a crop body.

Canon 5DM3
Canon 24-105L
Canon 430EX

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 05, 2013 18:31 |  #14

71, I'm assuming that's a used price? If so, just make sure you're buying from a good/trustworthy seller. The 24-105 is a very nice versatile lens. Its approx. value on the used market is $650'ish +/-, so you'd be getting the body for around $2350'ish (depending on the value of the filter/cards). The 5D3/24-105L combo should be a significant upgrade from your current equipment.

Mark

71buickfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 05, 2013 18:55 |  #15

The seller is on this site.

Canon 5DM3
Canon 24-105L
Canon 430EX

sponsored links

4,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Struggling with choices! 6d, 7D or refurb 5DMIII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.