Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 04 Jan 2013 (Friday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji hints at full frame mirrorless

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 04, 2013 02:38 |  #1

This is a few months old now, but I havent seen any thread about it.

Amateur Photographer published an interview with Fuji and they strongly talk about the Full Frame mirrorless camera future. For Fuji it’s clear that there is a demand for full-frame mirrorless cameras. And when asked about the Sony RX1 Fuji’s X-series designer, Masazumi Imai, told AP: ‘I think many customers want a bigger sensor with first rate design. Sony’s answer is the RX1. Of course, I like that kind of camera but it is completely different to our series because the design is too modern.‘

http://www.amateurphot​ographer.co.uk …rame-system-camera-sensor (external link)

In short, Fuji says there is a market for Full Frame compact cameras although it looks like they want to have such a camera with interchangeable mount! Sony really should hurry to deliver us the NEX-9 FF as soon as possible otherwise Fuji may will steal us the show. :)

When Fuji's or Sony's mirrorless FF (with interchangeable mount) hits the street, how will CaNikon respond?

Exciting times!

sponsored links
nimendrum
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 04, 2013 05:52 |  #2

Yes, these are exciting times.
Sony RX100, RX1, Olympuls OM-D, Fuji Xpro1, these are all new designs that feature more or less small bodies and big sensors. I think that a full frame mirrorless will surely come up. Maybe at this years CES, you never know.

http://www.fotonoir.ro (external link)
http://best-point-and-shoot-cameras.com/ (external link)

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2013 22:35 |  #3

Osiriz wrote in post #15442441 (external link)

Amateur Photographer published an interview with Fuji and they strongly talk about the Full Frame mirrorless camera future. For Fuji it’s clear that there is a demand for full-frame mirrorless cameras. And when asked about the Sony RX1 Fuji’s X-series designer, Masazumi Imai, told AP: ‘I think many customers want a bigger sensor with first rate design. Sony’s answer is the RX1. Of course, I like that kind of camera but it is completely different to our series because the design is too modern.‘

http://www.amateurphot​ographer.co.uk …rame-system-camera-sensor (external link)

In short, Fuji says there is a market for Full Frame compact cameras although it looks like they want to have such a camera with interchangeable mount! Sony really should hurry to deliver us the NEX-9 FF as soon as possible otherwise Fuji may will steal us the show. :)

When Fuji's or Sony's mirrorless FF (with interchangeable mount) hits the street, how will CaNikon respond?

Exciting times!

I've heard this rumor before, but I think I might have seen elsewhere stating that there might have been a translation error. Not that it couldn't happen in the future, but a full frame sensor would require a whole new mount. Fuji's X-Mount was specifically designed for APS-C and it's been shown that a full frame sensor would not fit. Also, I believe that their current lens lineup does not an image circle large enough to cover a full frame sensor.

As of today, Fuji believes that their X-Trans sensor is already up to par with a Full Frame sensor, at least in terms of resolving power.

I love seeing progress and the thought of a Fuji full frame sensor does get me excited, but we might be waiting along time. Maybe Sony's first move will push Fuji to the next level.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2013 04:06 |  #4

Fuji is firmly in the APS-C camp. Like pxchoi said, X mount and XF lens image circles are intended for APS-C. Had they intended to fit bigger sensors, the X mount would have been made to accomodate.

People here might think Sony is being innovative and forward-thinking, but remember that its imaging division loses money, specifically from "enthusiast" still cameras (point-&-shoots and video has been growing). Fuji is smaller and not as diversified, so it presumably can't eat the losses or take risks like Sony can.

eightweight
340 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2013 09:55 |  #5

I have had the X-E1 for a few months now and with that the lenses are great especially the 35mm 1.4
I have the 14mm f2.8 on order

I would definately buy a Fuji full frame !!!

Can only hope this changes from rumor to reality in the next year

Bill

5D MK 3//24mm "L" 1.4// 16-35 "L" 2.8 // 24-70 "L" 2.8 MK2// 35mm "L" 1.4 // Canon EX600RT flash // Fuji X-E2
35m 1.4 // 14mm 2.8 //Fuji EFX20 & Fuji X100S
Lightroom 3

ThiFlyingTomato
47 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 05, 2013 18:39 |  #6

I really hope that they complete a full frame mirrorless, Fuji is really an innovator!

Hopefully take enough of the market away from Canon to keep pushing innovation!

buyfilm.co (external link)

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2013 14:00 |  #7

Osiriz wrote in post #15442441 (external link)

:lol:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1230398

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

sponsored links

4,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji hints at full frame mirrorless
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.