Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 00:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

anyone know how to get a custom app made for a client?

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 05, 2013 00:54 |  #1

Is it possible to get a custom app for apple/android devices that is basically a slide show of a customers portrait session?

Im searching google but not coming up with anything useful. :)

Canon investor

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 05, 2013 09:03 |  #2

Why do you/they need a custom app to view images? Is this something you hope to sell as part of a package? I would have thought there were thousands of apps that could show a slideshow of images.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2013 09:12 |  #3

With Photoshop you can create a *.pdf slide show with many options.

JIM

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 05, 2013 09:46 |  #4

It would be easy enough to create a custom app that links directly to your online gallery and runs through the images as a slide show.

Whyis the big question though.

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 05, 2013 10:26 |  #5

There is an app for everything, and why not make it easy for your customer to view and share their images in a cool presentation?

Ive had my ipod for a few months now and I still havent figured out how to put pictures onto it :D not that ive spent much effort on that. I know I cant drag and drop them using file manager.

Canon investor

btweller
213 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2013 19:04 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #6

How about Sticky Albums (external link)?

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 07, 2013 22:28 |  #7

Sticky Albums looks cool, but I would rather pay for a program *which will probably cost less than 3 months on the website* to do it myself than a monthly $27 fee for a service online. :)

I'm a subscriber to an online slide show creator *cant think of its name atm, its been a few months since I've actually used it* and it lets you create cool slide shows and save the videos. If there is a way to turn an avi into a launchable app, that would be cool. :)

I don't mind spending money on quality items, but I also believe in saving money where I can. For example its better to buy photoshop for $600 than pay $100 a month to use it, or to buy a lens for $1200 than to rent it for a year for much more. :D

Canon investor

chrisa
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 08, 2013 10:35 |  #8

The way apple iOS works you would need a separate app for every customer. Find someone with the apple developers kit which is needed to create apps. Android is a bit looser in there app making I think.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 08, 2013 12:35 |  #9

Just had a quick Google for App Development costs and the cheapest I can find is still $1,000+ for someone to do the work for you.

Not really a viable option as you are wither going to give the app away or at most sell it to a couple of people.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 08, 2013 13:11 |  #10

May be a bit overkill. I understand the want to make their experience with you unique but I'd rather get access to a web site that can adapt to mobile browsers.

But I'm pretty stickler about the apps I install on my phone though. Wouldn't want an app dedicated to viewing photos from one photographer I shot with.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 08, 2013 13:13 |  #11

I've created Android slideshow applications before. But I will not do it for the price of a few month subscriptions on that site. Not even more than a few.

But I can suggest you to consider PhoneGap (if you actually need an app). I think this is the cheapest solution for creating a simple custom application like this. In short, PhoneGap is a framework that allows you to create "an app" with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and then "wrap" it into the native code of the operational system, Android, iOS (iPad, iPhone) or others. This way you don't need to hire different developers or the developer doesn't have to create different code bases for each OS (basically create a different application for each OS).

Some problems can arise later, too. For instance, not all devices allow to install apps from not Google App Store/iTunes. Or if you want to change something in your app or add other images for another client you will need to recompile the app, which means, you have to pay developers again to do that.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jan 08, 2013 13:17 |  #12

Dmitriy wrote in post #15461827 (external link)
I've created Android slideshow applications before. But I will not do it for the price of a few month subscriptions on that site. Not even more than a few.

+1

Especially if you expect me to answer the phone and help you figure out why the app stopped working a year or two from now.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

1,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
anyone know how to get a custom app made for a client?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.