Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 09:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S lens

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,890 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2013 16:34 |  #16

JeffreyG wrote in post #15449086 (external link)
Well, really the small error about it being 'EF-s' or otherwise wasn't the problem with the OP's post.

The problem was that he didn't really ask a question other than "Has anyone heard of this lens". That's why the thread has run whimsical, without any real information.

"Yep, I've heard of it." would be a legit response. My assumption is that the OP will return and ask us just what it is about the lens he is interested in knowing.

I don't think its much of a stretch to think the OP was looking for opinions on this lens even if he didn't specifically ask. I doubt he was just trying to find out if people had heard of it. :rolleyes: And by the way what he said was "anybody knows about this lens?" which implies he wanted feedback based on experience with it.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,804 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 05, 2013 16:54 |  #17

Given the fact that the lens was just announced in Sept 2012, it is highly unlikely that there is much knowledge on POTN. On 9/13/2012 Tamron announced the SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD. Google search only yields six articles about the lens, and four of them are not in English.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 05, 2013 17:04 |  #18

mwsilver wrote in post #15449123 (external link)
I don't think its much of a stretch to think the OP was looking for opinions on this lens even if he didn't specifically ask. I doubt he was just trying to find out if people had heard of it. :rolleyes: And by the way what he said was "anybody knows about this lens?" which implies he wanted feedback based on experience with it.

It's still not too much to ask that the OP come with some kind of specific. Does he want to know if it is suitable for some specific use? The AF speed? Optical performance? Portability? I cannot speak for the other responses, but my response (the first in this thread....the one about humming a few bars and faking it) was meant to be a gentle kidding to elicit a more specific question.

But who knows.....I've seen some very specific questions that also make little sense. I think I saw a thread today from a person with a 24-105L, an 85L and a 135L. This person liked the zoom except that he didn't like the distortion and corner performance at the very widest end of the zoom range. So he was thinking about getting a 35L to go with his other two primes.

Call me crazy, but that seemed like a lot of detail that led up to asking if the best fix for a zoom that wasn't good enough between 24mm and 28mm was to sell it in favor of a 35mm prime. :rolleyes:

So maybe less detail is better.;)

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,890 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2013 17:09 |  #19

Wilt wrote in post #15449197 (external link)
Given the fact that the lens was just announced in Sept 2012, it is highly unlikely that there is much knowledge on POTN. On 9/13/2012 Tamron announced the SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD. Google search only yields six articles about the lens, and four of them are not in English.

And perhaps the OP also couldn't find info elsewhere and came here. Again its not a stretch to want to get general opinions about a lens before considering buying it, especially if it's a new one. To me, the intent of his post was not as vague as some have suggested. Perhaps responses from those familiar with the lens could have been something like "what would you like to know about it". Ridiculing someone because they were not specific enough is not cool, IMHO.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2013 17:09 |  #20

mwsilver wrote in post #15449123 (external link)

I've learned not to assume what level of knowledge OPs possess or seek when they start their threads so generically. Some playful ribbing to get the OP to elaborate isn't such a bad thing is it?

Neil

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,890 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2013 17:20 |  #21

JeffreyG wrote in post #15449234 (external link)
It's still not too much to ask that the OP come with some kind of specific. Does he want to know if it is suitable for some specific use? The AF speed? Optical performance? Portability? I cannot speak for the other responses, but my response (the first in this thread....the one about humming a few bars and faking it) was meant to be a gentle kidding to elicit a more specific question.

But who knows.....I've seen some very specific questions that also make little sense. I think I saw a thread today from a person with a 24-105L, an 85L and a 135L. This person liked the zoom except that he didn't like the distortion and corner performance at the very widest end of the zoom range. So he was thinking about getting a 35L to go with his other two primes.

Call me crazy, but that seemed like a lot of detail that led up to asking if the best fix for a zoom that wasn't good enough between 24mm and 28mm was to sell it in favor of a 35mm prime. :rolleyes:

It wasn't any one response that concerned me, No one was obviously nasty or insulting. But the combined responses from a number of posters, when read one after the other, painted an unnecessarily condescending picture. Posters, especially new members shouldn't be ridiculed for errors or lack of specificity. Humor and teasing has its place to lighten up a forum, but I think in this case the joke went a little too far. In the scheme of things, it wasn't that big a deal though. Time to move on.

Mark

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,914 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 05, 2013 17:24 |  #22

The OP did not ask if anyone heard of this lens, he asked if anyone knows about it. There is a difference.

OP, I do not know about this lens - but your question was not if I know about this lens, it was if anybody knows about this lens. So, to answer your question, yes, somebody does know about this lens.

The person who wrote the description of this lens on the B&H website knows about this lens. To see what they wrote, you can view the web page (unfortunately, there do not appear to be any reviews on the page):
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …20_200mm_F_2_8_​DI_VC.html (external link)

Additionally, Mark Goldstein knows about this lens. His extensive review of it may be found here:
http://www.photography​blog.com …mm_f2_8_di_vc_u​sd_review/ (external link)

Furthermore, the unnamed person who wrote the review on PhotoReview.com knows about this lens. The review that he/she wrote may be seen here:
http://www.photoreview​.com.au …f-2.8-di-vc-usd-a009-lens (external link)

Hopefully, the links I supplied will work; I simply copied and pasted them from my address bar.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 05, 2013 19:22 |  #23

mwsilver wrote in post #15449288 (external link)
It wasn't any one response that concerned me, No one was obviously nasty or insulting. But the combined responses from a number of posters, when read one after the other, painted an unnecessarily condescending picture. Posters, especially new members shouldn't be ridiculed for errors or lack of specificity. Humor and teasing has its place to lighten up a forum, but I think in this case the joke went a little too far. In the scheme of things, it wasn't that big a deal though. Time to move on.

Funny thread, but agreed.

The people on the POTN Business forums are cutthroat as well.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Donald ­ Ong
64 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 05, 2013 19:36 |  #24

JeffreyG wrote in post #15449234 (external link)

Ah, that thread. LOL. It didn't make much sense to me either. :lol:

Vimeo (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Youtube (external link)| Facebook (external link)
5D3 | 24-105 f/4 L | Samyang cine 14 T/3.1 | video stuff

AmosTFairchild
63 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 05, 2013 22:37 |  #25

I've only seen the lens in the shop. Looks heavy. lol. I couldn't afford it :)

newfotomd
65 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 05, 2013 22:47 as a reply to  @ AmosTFairchild's post |  #26

It also only goes out to 186mm on the long end from what I've been told instead of the actual "200" or 199 as Canon has it

I have some gear that I'm working on learning how to use.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 06, 2013 12:34 as a reply to  @ newfotomd's post |  #27

As for the actual performance and potential of the non-stabilized Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (external link): when the lens is on its best behavior it's a very good unit. The Tamron lens was used to create these images.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The Tamron lens is not at its strongest when quick and decisive autofocus response is needed. But for those who are dealing with static or slow- moving subjects, it's a decent choice. Its price alone makes it a tempting selection.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,167 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 06, 2013 12:38 |  #28

^that's not the lens being discussed though...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 06, 2013 12:50 |  #29

DreDaze wrote in post #15452249 (external link)
^that's not the lens being discussed though...

Well to be fair, so far that's the ONLY lens being discussed.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 06, 2013 13:32 |  #30

vertigo235 wrote in post #15452292 (external link)
Well to be fair, so far that's the ONLY lens being discussed.

I stand corrected. The OP referred to the newer stabilized version of the Tamron lens, not the older non-stabilized version.

sponsored links

3,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.