Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 18:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

advice on first full frame camera

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2013 19:16 |  #16

ThiFlyingTomato wrote in post #15449700 (external link)
A full frame usually has better low light preformance, and in the case of your XTI it does.

They also have a shallower depth of field, so you get more bokeh!

Cheers!

Of course this depends on his budget. If you're willing to spend EQUAL amounts of money, then a 5D2/1D3 are in the same price range with roughly the same high ISO performance. The 7D will be cheaper (all used, of course), with similar high ISO performance...except the 5D2 (as well as the 5Dc and the 5D3) suck for banding...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 05, 2013 19:20 |  #17

dont let anyone tell YOU what YOU are ready for. if you want to give it a go then have at it. if it doesn't work out crop cameras aren't going anywhere. you can always just switch back. better yet you can have both. i keep my 50D in my bag for the reach. i have it mounted on my 400 5.6 all the time.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2013 19:36 |  #18

The only thing I can say is "Go big or go home"... In other words-- buy as much as you can... The main reason I say that is, if you are like a lot of people out there, you hear about how great full frame is-- and yes-- it's an expensive leap... But I'd rather spend for a 5D3 or perhaps a 6D- knowing I got one of the latest and greatest- rather than try to do it in little chunks- by buying an older model- and then thinking later-- darn, I wish I had gotten the < insert model here > instead ...

Does your current camera need to be failing in one aspect or another-- certainly not... Sometimes, especially the amateurs, just want to see if it is something they'd be interested in... If you want to try it - for any reason-- go ahead... There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying it for whatever reason...

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 05, 2013 20:00 |  #19

jptsr1 wrote in post #15449645 (external link)
some pros do shoot crop.

I was quickly scanning and thought this said...

"some pros do shoot crap"

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 05, 2013 20:28 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15449503 (external link)
If you don't know why you want one (very specific reasons as to what a FF could do that your current camera can't), and don't have it narrowed down to a few options, then you're not ready to upgrade.

LowriderS10, please know that I am not singling you out. I've seen this dozens of times, from lots of members. Your post just happened to be there when I saw it one time too many.

I bought a 5D because I wanted one. What is wrong with that? This "you're not ready to upgrade" attitude is prevalent on POTN. The general question is always along the lines of, "What is crop not doing for you?" or "What do you shoot?" That just seems a tad elitist to me. This may be a surprise, but most people buy a camera to make photographs. Of course, knowledge, dedication and skill levels vary, but owning a full-frame digital camera is NOT something one must prepare for. Buy it. Learn it. Use it. There is no magical blend of experience and wisdom one must attain before purchasing any particular camera. Why would anyone else care if someone's first camera, or next upgrade, is an A series P&S or a 5D3, or a 1DX for that matter? The only photograph I've ever won an award for was taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ8. I take pictures of my cats with a 5D. On both counts, so what?

Gear List

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 05, 2013 20:28 |  #21

nccb wrote in post #15449876 (external link)
I was quickly scanning and thought this said...

"some pros do shoot crap"

that too.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2013 20:53 |  #22

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15449701 (external link)
In fact, I'm willing to bet five million trillion gazillion dollars that there are more pros out there who shoot only crop or a mix of crop/FF than pros who only shoot FF.

lol, APS-H shouldn't count!

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 05, 2013 20:54 |  #23

TSchrief wrote in post #15449971 (external link)
It may be a surprise, but most people buy a camera to make photographs. Of course, knowledge, dedication and skill levels vary, but owning a full-frame digital camera is NOT something one must prepare for.

I agree.
Before digital, everyone shot full frame (I.e., 35mm), and I don't recall anyone worrying that they "weren't ready for it.". FF is different and more expensive, but harder? I don't think so. Cost and application are the only real factors; experience is not.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2013 21:04 |  #24

LowriderS10, please know that I am not singling you out. I've seen this dozens of times, from lots of members. Your post just happened to be there when I saw it one time too many.

I bought a 5D because I wanted one. What is wrong with that? This "you're not ready to upgrade" attitude is prevalent on POTN. The general question is always along the lines of, "What is crop not doing for you?" or "What do you shoot?" That just seems a tad elitist to me. This may be a surprise, but most people buy a camera to make photographs. Of course, knowledge, dedication and skill levels vary, but owning a full-frame digital camera is NOT something one must prepare for. Buy it. Learn it. Use it. There is no magical blend of experience and wisdom one must attain before purchasing any particular camera. Why would anyone else care if someone's first camera, or next upgrade, is an A series P&S or a 5D3, or a 1DX for that matter? The only photograph I've ever won an award for was taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ8. I take pictures of my cats with a 5D. On both counts, so what?

It has nothing to do with being elitist. I gave you a perfect example of when buying the better/more expensive gear (my friend going mirrorless) is a bad idea. I also brought up a ton of points as to why the OP may be unhappy with the switch (the 5Dc is an aging camera with garbage UI, a crappy screen, no video, and EF lenses are expensive).

Far from being elitist, I'm simply trying to encourage people to buy what's right for them, not what they have room for on their credit cards, or what they think would be good 'cuz the pros shoot it...

vrjosh wrote in post #15450050 (external link)
lol, APS-H shouldn't count!

Hahaha...sure they do ;) Crop is crop! :D

Snafoo wrote in post #15450051 (external link)
I agree.
Before digital, everyone shot full frame (I.e., 35mm), and I don't recall anyone complaining that they were overwhelmed by it. FF is different than crop in some ways, and it's generally more expensive, but harder? I don't think so.
Buy what you want and can afford.

Ugh...this is such a bad example I don't even know where to start. Even with film, there were different cameras...most people didn't shoot Canon T90s or Nikon FM2s or whatever the high end stuff was. For every Canon EOS-1V they sold, I bet you they sold 500 point and shoot cameras...

A huge portion of the people upgrading these days see absolutely no benefit out of their upgrades and would be much better served by the "lower" options...

-=Gear=-

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 05, 2013 21:15 |  #25

I agree with some of this and disagree with other parts.

First off, buy whatever you want, it's a free country. That said, there are certain cameras suited for certain ways of shooting, though you can certainly shoot anything with any camera. For example, if the op said they like to shoot sports cars in the rain, then the 5D classic and MK II would be a horrible choice, and a 1D series is really what would suit the situation best. Not that you couldn't shoot it with an XTi, just making a point. If the op shoots portraits in tight spaces with low light, a full frame camera would have a distinct advantage over a crop.
I don't think you must necessarily "prepare" for shooting full frame, but an owner of a rebel with all EFS lenses should know its going to be expensive and all of their lenses must be replaced also. DOF control on full frame is a bit more finicky than on crops since its thinner on FF for a given situation. Your thought of buy it, learn it, use it is certainly true, but many of the cheaper/used full frame cameras (5Ds especially), while excellent cameras, are not well suited to every situation.
Cameras are just tools, certain better than others for specific jobs, but all would get the job done one way or another. I currently own one of each Canon sensor size (60D, 1D3, & 5D3), and each one had its merits and drawbacks

GEAR LIST

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2013 21:16 |  #26

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15449696 (external link)
I've seen tons more professionals shoot with crop sensors than FF. What do you think the 1D bodies most journalists use are? Also, most professionals have *BOTH* bodies, crop and FF. You'll almost never see a full-time working professional with only FF, but I've seen many with only crop.

Honestly, "I want to shoot FF because professionals shoot FF" tells me you're not ready for FF and/or, you'd gain nothing by switching to FF.

EDIT: You should move to digital medium format...tons of pros shoot that!!

If FF 1 series were able to do same FPS and didn't cost twice as 1.3x crop cameras, I bet most of those pros would be using FF over 1.3x.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 05, 2013 21:27 |  #27

bobbyz wrote in post #15450107 (external link)
If FF 1 series were able to do same FPS and didn't cost twice as 1.3x crop cameras, I bet most of those pros would be using FF over 1.3x.

You have inadvertently reinforced my point ;) ...buy the tool that's right for you, and that tool isn't always FF, even for pros...

-=Gear=-

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 05, 2013 21:35 |  #28

full frame is better. whoever says different is a lying liar that lies through his lying hole.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 05, 2013 21:41 |  #29

except maybe reach.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 05, 2013 21:44 |  #30

and speed.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

7,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
advice on first full frame camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.