Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What hood and filter for 85mm 1.8?

joepa150
104 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2013 08:22 |  #1

Santa brought me the 85mm f1.8! So far I really like it but have had a chance to use it much.

Should I buy a hood or a filter?
What hood?
What filter?

I never bothered buying a hood or filter for the 18-55mm kit or the 50mm f1.8. Should I buy some for these too?

sponsored links
jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2013 08:43 |  #2

The hood for the 85mm is ET65III (or an off brand equivalent). Most here will say just use the hood and forget about the filter. If you go with a filter, get a good brand (B+W, Hoya, etc...) and get one of their better versions with multiple lens coatings.

I would not bother with hoods for the kit or the 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

joepa150
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2013 08:53 |  #3

jimewall wrote in post #15451349 (external link)
The hood for the 85mm is ET65III (or an off brand equivalent). Most here will say just use the hood and forget about the filter. If you go with a filter, get a good brand (B+W, Hoya, etc...) and get one of their better versions with multiple lens coatings.

I would not bother with hoods for the kit or the 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks.

Would this filter be too low end?

http://www.amazon.com …words=hoya+58mm​+uv+filter (external link)

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2013 08:58 |  #4

I have a ebay knock off Hood on my own and am happy , I dont use filters for protection at all .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 06, 2013 09:01 |  #5

Save some moeny and just get the lens hood (external link)... It does a better job protecting the lens than any filter possibly can, and will never cause any issues in images, the way a filter can.

That Hoya HMC filter is supposed to be a good one, if you must... I'm a little suspicious though because that seems like an unusually low price for it.

Any added glass in front of a lens that the light has to pass through is going to have some negative effect on every image made with it. High quality, multi-coated filters might cost only very little IQ, nearly imperceptible in most situations. But in more extreme lighting situations, such as strong light sources in the image, any filter will cause additonal flare, reduce contrast and color saturation. Worst case, besides flare, cheap filters can cause overall softeness, amp up chromatic aberrations and even mess with AF.

Never one of mine thankfully, but over the years I've seen broken filters actually damage lenses when the shards of glass were driven into the front element... So I question their value for protection, anyway. Would the lens have fared better without the filter? Who knows... there is no way to test it with any validity. It's a pretty good bet, though, that a rigid lens hood would have prevented damage to both the lens and the filter. In fact, a lens hood helps reduce any IQ effects from a filter, too... so it's even more important to use a hood, when using any filter.

Enjoy the lens! I've been using one for years (filterless virtually all the time... but always with the hood, as is the case with all my lenses).

P.S. IMO, the same applies to the 18-55 and 50/1.8. In fact, I think the 50/1.8 has a fairly well recessed front element, sort of like a built in lens hood, so an additional hood might not be necessary for that particular lens (unless a filter is fitted to it). I dunno about the 18-55. But, another consideration, both those lenses can be replaced for little more than the cost of the filter... so is it worth it?

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2013 09:01 |  #6

joepa150 wrote in post #15451384 (external link)
Thanks.

I'd follow Jim with his filter advice if you MUST use one. I would not use one unless shooting in really extreme conditions. That ebay item looks very low end and suspiciously cheap - would not touch it. I would certainly invest in a high quality CPL if you plan on doing landscape work though.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2013 09:02 |  #7

Oh I just looked at your link for that filter you know what they say you get what you pay for check out as said before these brands B+W and Hoya .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2013 09:22 |  #8

joepa150 wrote in post #15451384 (external link)
Thanks.

Yes, that would be too low end (It is one of Hoya's low end). If you must, here is a link (external link) to better one and a different one at this link (external link) (even these are not the best, but I think they are good enough).

sapearl wrote in post #15451419 (external link)
I'd follow Jim with his filter advice if you MUST use one. I would not unless shooting in extreme conditions. That ebay item looks very low end and suspiciously cheap - would not touch it.

Don't follow my advice, because I do use a filter (I have both linked to above in various sizes). I take the slight loss of IQ with filter use.

Yes, I also typically use a hood, but dog's tongues, kids fingers , branches and weeds when out and about get past some of those hoods. I prefer to continually clean the filter rather than the front element.

I know the front element is tough, it makes me feel a little more at ease. Even though it degrades the image some. Even though I know if the glass broke on the filter, the shards might scratch the element. Even though I have insurance. I know I should not use the filter, but I must.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2013 09:32 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

A filter cannot possibly help your images. OK - CPL, ND, GND can be useful. Use protective only in a potentially damaging environment.

A hood cannot possibly hurt your images.

Gear List

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2013 15:54 |  #10

The hood design for this particular lens sucks. I just got one on eBay, since the OEM has the same stupid lens mount and I refuse to pay extra for that design. It doesn't hurt, not sure if it helps.

I don't use UV filters to shoot. I did buy a few cheap Green L filters to screw on my lenses for travel (I had lens cap fall off in the bag on more than one occasion). They are better quality than Tiffen and only cost a few bucks. I typically unscrew them once I mount the lens on the body.

A small scratch on the front element - even if it does occur which only happened to me once - most likely has no effect on IQ. The filter will have effect on IQ. Every single shot. And the really good filter will likely cost you more than $30-50 you lose selling an otherwise great lens with a small scratch. But that's just my opinion.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

3,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
What hood and filter for 85mm 1.8?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.